Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What size jets? Straight piping! (Read 71 times)
Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What size jets? Straight piping!
04/12/20 at 08:45:09

Hi, im new here guys.
I have a 2001 ls650 savage.
I want to straight pipe it.. (already have) i have only unbolted the stock muffler,  and bought a 6" tip for it.
Its running lean, and was before hand but worse now, i know that since im running it straight piped i need to apply bigger main jets, and possible pod filter.
Any ideas on what jets i need??? And pod filter???? Need ideas guys. I want to treat my big right so it last a while. Shes only got 2,200 miles. So please help.me!! Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: What size jets? Straight piping!
Reply #1 - 04/12/20 at 09:10:46

Jasongibby94

Its kinda noisy isn't it ?    I've got 12" shorties on mine with a DB Killer and it's still loud ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/12/20 at 09:39:44

Jasongibby94 wrote on 04/12/20 at 08:45:09:
I want to treat my big right so it last a while. Shes only got 2,200 miles. So please help.me!! Smiley

Your bike really doesn't like being straight piped - and likely the neighbors aren't fond of it either.

The engine doesn't run well with an unrestricted exhaust, as there is something called "reversion" that happens.  The unrestricted exhaust allows sound waves to bounce in and out of the pipe, and this sets up a situation called "drag pipe sag", and it makes the power output have a flat spot in the mid range.....this may feel exactly like it is jetted lean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

You would be better off with a muffler that is not straight through and has some baffling.  A used Harley Dyna muffler works great.  It would help to know what elevation you ride at to make jetting suggestions (and where you live so we know if you are running ethanol laced fuel or buy straight fuel.....or are in the UK where fuel is completely different) - but down here at 500-800 msl in KY a #150 main and #50or #52.5 pilot jet work well.  The partial throttle lean surge is often cured by raising the slide needle more than by changing jets - the white spacer is removed and three #4 machine screw washers are used (remove 1 if the lean surge continues at mild throttle settings).

I have good mufflers on all my motorcycles, and when I ride past my neighbors and they wave at me - they have all of their fingers up!  Just sayin'.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 04/12/20 at 09:50:41

Jasongibby94 wrote on 04/12/20 at 08:45:09:
Hi, im new here guys.
I have a 2001 ls650 savage.
I want to straight pipe it.. (already have) i have only unbolted the stock muffler,  and bought a 6" tip for it.
Its running lean, and was before hand but worse now, i know that since im running it straight piped i need to apply bigger main jets, and possible pod filter.
Any ideas on what jets i need??? And pod filter???? Need ideas guys. I want to treat my big right so it last a while. Shes only got 2,200 miles. So please help.me!! Smiley

You aren't going to find much help here with jetting for a straight pipe, very few run that setup. You definitely want to get the mixture dialed in before you ride much. Look at DragBikeMike's thread and the pictures of what can happen to a piston with a lean mixture under load for just a few seconds.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1581222575

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 04/12/20 at 14:39:17

Jason , I'm really glad you posted your question ... I learned some about the exhaust flow too !   Thanks Dave !  Cool

I've realized for a long time now that the further away from the head the exhaust gets the more it cools off and gets smaller as it cools.  So I didn't think much of the smaller dia. of the DB Killer being an issue.   But after watching that video I believe I'm going to "Re-visit" my DB Killer ...

I've calculated the area of the header pipe to make sure there is at least that much escape area (holes) in the DB Killer but now I'm thinking that keeping the full dia. getting to the escape holes is important too.    That increased dia. of the 12" Shorty Muffler has almost got to be making a low pressure zone in the flow and the DB Killer has to be making a High pressure zone .   So I don't see how the flow could freely go back up the pipe to the head , but to take the high pressure zone out might increase the flow without getting the middle finger from my neighbors  ?   Grin

Hay :   To live and Learn is better than staying Uneducated any way you look at it !   Smiley  

DB_Killer_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 04/12/20 at 15:03:40

I like the sound of the muffler that Lancer has on REX too !   That Reverse Cone has lots of room for expanding gasses  .   Wink     It looks good too ... Maybe ... its time for me to just go to ebay ?  Roll Eyes

Jasongibby94
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/12/20 at 15:21:13

Well, being totally honest. I dont know what the DB actually is, i kind of understand the point in having it, and what keeping my straigjt pipe how it is will kill my bike. But ive got to get it louder than it is, the whole sewing machine sound isnt that appealing.

I need basically the cheapest way possible to make it louder, without hurting my bike (hopefully i haven't already) Cheesy Grin

Thanks to everyone for the help!!! Didnt think anyone would reply so fast Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 04/12/20 at 16:45:47

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-Slip-on-51mm-Motorcycle-Street-...

just go to ebay and type :  universal motorcycle muffler    , I believe your head pipe is about 38 mm  or 1.5" .

don't remove your muffler hanger , you'll need it to keep whatever you get from blowing off and killing the car behind you , and your insurance rates too ...  Huh

most of them have adapters to fit any common size pipe.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/12/20 at 18:18:51

Unless you are going to spend some money to get a good quality muffler your engine will be happier with an HD Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:37:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › What size jets? Straight piping!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.