Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
May have ruined engine. (Read 1004 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: May have ruined engine.
Reply #75 - 04/19/20 at 06:19:09

I agree with Dave and I'll add, do not overthink this.  You have a solid and durable bike.  Ride it!  

Don't fix what isn't broke.  I've put thousands of miles on my bike every year with very little maintenance.  Mostly just brake pads and tires.  It sits in the garage every winter with nothing more than a full tank of gas and starts and runs like the day it got parked.  That's why I choose this bike.  I wanted to spend more time riding my bike than working on it.  

Forums are full of great information because they are full of passionate folks who overanalyze everything.  That's cool if that's what you're into, but you're too old for that crap, get on with your life and ride!!!  (But stay involved here because it's still a great forum.) Smiley

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #76 - 04/20/20 at 06:23:56

Dave wrote on 04/18/20 at 07:23:03:
srinath wrote on 04/18/20 at 07:08:58:
Run 20W50 if you prefer - it usually doesn't hurt anything anyway.
Srinath.

The popular forum opinion from us old guys - is the 20W-50 is a bit too thick for the Savage (unless you are riding in 100 degree weather).

The thicker oil does reduce the amount of oil flowing, and Verslagen's tests showed the engine runs hotter with 20W-50 than it does with 10W-40.

Stick with the Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 that you have in the bike.  

Ofcourse it will run a bit hotter because oil is also the coolant, and 20w50 doesn't get on surfaces as easy as 10w40 especially cyl wall which is essentially a splash lube situation as well. I guess if it is super warm ambient temp, 20w50 will splash as well as 10w40 does in the 60's and 70's. OK that makes sense.

The higher viscosity oil would retain better film strength if the one plain bearing set in the bike has had a higher clearance situation. This bike was designed for 10w40 like a lot of Suzuki's are. I'd just stay with that. BTW aircooled yamaha's are built around 20w50. I tend to go with the bike's design spec oil usually.

Has anyone done a pressure check of this bike when its running - as in bolt on an oil pressure gauge and ride it. I did it with a GS500 and the pressure readings were dismal, especially at idle after fully warmed up. Try 3psi or less.
A higher viscosity oil will result in a higher pressure when fully warmed up. That makes the plain cam bearings stay away from metal to metal contact and/or rattling due to higher clearance.
Anyway we're far far far from 100 degree weather, its been sliding back into winter around here. I cant even believe this is the 3rd week of april.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 04/20/20 at 13:05:33

Srinath, I have an oil pressure gage tapped into my head cover.  It measures oil pressure to the top end (IMO the weakest link in our lubrication chain, sliding contact rocker pads under extreme load).  I also recently installed a CHT gage that reads off the 8mm stud at the front of the head.

Oil pressure on my bike varies a bunch.  When cold, it exceeds the gage range (15 psi) if I try to take the rpm above 2000.  After approximately 1/2 mile of operation, its down to about 15 psi at 2000 rpm.  By about 1 mile of operation it stays within the gage range (0-15 psi).

Once fully warmed up (CHT at 290F or higher), pressure is as follows.

Idle: 0 psi
Cruise: 3 psi
Freeway: 6 psi
WOT 5K+: 7 to 9 psi

My CHT ranges from about 295F to as high as 340F.  That's with ambient air temps around 75 to 85F.  I have not had the opportunity to observe the CHT gage with ambient air temp above 85F.  I am very curious what I will see when ambient gets above 90F.

I run Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin motorcycle oil.  It is evident that the temperature has a huge impact on my top end oil pressure.  It is also amazing how fast the oil pressure drops when I first start warming up the engine.

I prefer the heavier synthetic oil, which also has a high zinc content.  I run valve springs that are a lot stiffer than the stock springs, and an aggressive camshaft with very high lift and steep ramps.  The rocker arms, cam lobes, and valve tips are holding their own.  I don't expect to get the same longevity as a stock setup, but the reduced life expectancy comes with the territory.

BTW, 20W-50 is one of the recommended weights listed in the owners manual.  Considering that when the engine is cold my idle oil pressure is as high as 15 psi and it drops to zero when fully warmed up indicates to me that the heavier oil is better for my particular setup.  The 10W-40 would yield even less top end oil pressure at idle, and I don't think it would perform as well under the extreme loads that the rocker pads and cam lobes are subjected to.

I am planning to do a test report that compares 10W-40 to 20W-50.  Since I now have a CHT gage, oil pressure gage, and tachometer, it should be pretty easy to do a comparison with a full set of parameters.  The tricky part will be ambient temp, which changes rapidly as the day wears on.  I want to collect that data to prepare for an oil cooler installation.  I'm not too comfy with that 340F that I see occasionally.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #78 - 04/20/20 at 13:27:40

On my GS all bearings were plain and it too made the numbers you're listing. Scary, but it does live for 50-100K miles.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #79 - 04/20/20 at 13:40:39

My attempt at an oil temperature test...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283117891/0

On the beast I have a temperature gage on the front oil pressure port.
On a hot day it'll go to 280.

And I've had a pressure gage there too.  Pressure at idle ~5psi to 50psi at 5000rpm give or take a mile.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #80 - 04/21/20 at 07:25:26

Without comparison testing I wouldn't be to sure that a 50w oil is better that 40 w.      40w might actually show cooler temperatures and maybe higher pressures at idle when the motor is warm, . and lower pressure at the cam (thus a thicker film layer) at startup when cold, pressure and flow are inversely proportional . Verslagen's increase of 6 degrees was taken at the lower engine side case , seeing as that is the total of oil moving thru the motor , the smaller flow (50w)l  of oil passing thru the head area may have been several degrees hotter.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #81 - 04/21/20 at 09:55:34

batman wrote on 04/21/20 at 07:25:26:
   Without comparison testing I wouldn't be to sure that a 50w oil is better that 40 w.      40w might actually show cooler temperatures and maybe higher pressures at idle when the motor is warm, . and lower pressure at the cam (thus a thicker film layer) at startup when cold, pressure and flow are inversely proportional . Verslagen's increase of 6 degrees was taken at the lower engine side case , seeing as that is the total of oil moving thru the motor , the smaller flow (50w)l  of oil passing thru the head area may have been several degrees hotter.

The right way to think of this is as a long pipe with the bearings at the end as the leakage spot. Your oil pump can easily produce all the pressure in the world - because when cold the pressure runs over 20psi and when hot it barely breaks 10.
Here a higher viscosity oil simply plugs the "leak" of the bearings better maintaining a higher pressure where it counts at the bearing.
It conversely doesn't fly everywhere as much and doesn't adhere to the surfaces as much because its viscosity is higher.
I don't quite see a huge problem with a thicker oil if the bearing is at higher side of the limit. And actually a head temp being higher may just mean oil temp is lower, I forget where the temp was measured. Higher oil temp may mean extra engine heat getting pulled out.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #82 - 04/22/20 at 14:03:06

higher temperature of the heavier old may mean that the flow rate of the oil is less and is slower through the head and therefore it picks up more heat per unit of time, but doesn't necessarily remove it from the head. If heavier oil is better lube and heat absorbing we should be running 90 weight Cheesy

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #83 - 04/22/20 at 17:12:42

No in my post I meant - I don't know where he measured the temperature.

If oil temp was higher under the same conditions that means the oil pulled more heat from the engine. That is good.

If head temp was higher - it means oil didn't get as much of the heat out, or there was more heat produced from friction. Both are bad.

In effect 10w40 flows and gets on stuff better and easier and faster. 20w50 stays on stuff better and longer and I really can see merits in both. However the end determination for oil as a lubricant is in the 1 location where it works nearly completely as nothing but a lubricant - the cam bearing. If its near low end of factory spec that's 10w40 territory. If its at the high end or over the spec - its 20w50 territory.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #84 - 04/23/20 at 08:20:25

Well we could debate this all day, but to think that the cam bearing just uses the lube is false , with temps of 3000 to 5000F depending on combustion ratio I' m sure the entire head is cooled by the oil.  I will agree that if wear is present ,as in a high mileage motor that moving to a heavier oil may be necessary BUT ONLY if normal oil pressure can not be maintained. Use of 50 or even 60 grade oils over 40 grade in air cooled motors like the Savage is  mute as the viscosity of these oils are the same at temperatures of  300F that the motor runs near. the Fact that 90% of wear occurs at startup make 20w50 a poorer choose when compared to 10w40 or 5w40 synthetic and may because of this cause added wear to an already worn motor .  Oil pressure does not lube the cam bearings it is the flow of oil through the bearings that protect them,( the reason we don't idle the bike sitting on the side stand) and 40 grade oil will flow better and warm faster at startup.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #85 - 04/23/20 at 08:45:41

batman wrote on 04/23/20 at 08:20:25:
Well we could debate this all day, but to think that the cam bearing just uses the lube is false , with temps of 3000 to 5000F depending on combustion ratio I' m sure the entire head is cooled by the oil.  I will agree that if wear is present ,as in a high mileage motor that moving to a heavier oil may be necessary BUT ONLY if normal oil pressure can not be maintained. Use of 50 or even 60 grade oils over 40 grade in air cooled motors like the Savage is  mute as the viscosity of these oils are the same at temperatures of  300F that the motor runs near. the Fact that 90% of wear occurs at startup make 20w50 a poorer choose when compared to 10w40 or 5w40 synthetic and may because of this cause added wear to an already worn motor .  Oil pressure does not lube the cam bearings it is the flow of oil through the bearings that protect them,( the reason we don't idle the bike sitting on the side stand) and 40 grade oil will flow better and warm faster at startup.

90% of wear doesn't occur at startup - That is a total misrepresentation of reality. Yes 90% of non pressure lubrication occurs at startup. But cold starts typically are where clearances are high and the parts are cold and stationary before spun up.
90% of non lubrication occurs at startup.
Wear occurs at high temp and high speed where spinning parts swell from temperature, clearances reduce due to that and clearances reduce further due to centrifugal force causing the spinning parts to swell more and so on. This is why engines seize up on the road, and cars dying in the driveway typically die from electrical issues, or battery or gas flow where some obstruction freezes up and wont let it start, or rats ate the wiring etc.
I however agree with the need for higher viscosity oil if you cant maintain pressure with the lower viscosity oil though.
When the head is cooled by oil is considered, a higher viscosity oil would stay on the head a little longer before getting down the drain. As a coolant and cushioning agent higher viscosities are better as well. The only reason a higher viscosity oil is bad is if the pump can not build the recommended pressure with it where the pressure is needed - at the cam bearing in this case and where its splash lubricated at the cylinder wall
Basically the bottom line is - if the cam bearing oil pressure is inadequate due to the clearance being higher then higher viscosity would be a remedy. Possible side effect could be less splash lubrication onto the cylinder wall. All the rest is in favor of a 20w50 over a 10w40.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #86 - 04/23/20 at 17:20:02

@Ruttly OIL WAR!!!!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #87 - 04/23/20 at 17:23:50

You  have a need to do some research ,you have many misconceptions, I'll leave it at that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #88 - 04/23/20 at 18:37:58

Youzguys ran the first 60,000 miles using Valvoline VR1 in 10-40 I believe, the next 100,000 miles was using Rotella T6 in 5W-40.  At the 160,000 miles rebuild the only thing that was out of spec was the valve guides and valves.  The cam and rockers were fine, the piston was fine, and even the rings were still in spec.

The engine went back together with new valve guides, valves and rings - all other parts were put back in and the engine just passed the 200,000 mile mark.

I really don't need any other proof that 10W-40 and/or 5W-40 works just fine.

Most rocker/cam failures on this bike are from using oil with low ZDDP levels (rocker failure) - or cam bearing failure caused by running too low of idle speed.

The bottom end probably could care less what oil is used, as roller bearings don't really need much oil to survive.  The piston is somewhat similar and the piston/cylinder failures on this bike seem happen when folks run the engine out of oil.

Every now and then somebody trashes an engine when the top of the exhaust valve comes off the stem - I suspect running too big of valve clearance for too long may contribute to that failure or too lean of fuel mixture - but I really don't know for sure.  

I am just going to keep running Rotellat T6 that is 5w-40.....and not worry about my oil doing a proper job.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #89 - 04/23/20 at 21:00:44

Do you know the history of the cam chain and tensioner in all those miles?

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › May have ruined engine.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.