Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Complete LED Conversion (Read 215 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Complete LED Conversion
Reply #15 - 04/08/20 at 14:21:44

This is the one they recommended...I told them I wanted to keep my stock housing...so we'll see if it works out...fingers crossed
https://stores.advmonster.com/1157-shorty-led-bulb/

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #16 - 04/08/20 at 15:06:15

Bubba
Interesting. That says 7w tail/8 watts brake.
A stock 1157 incandescent uses less than that on tail light only.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 04/08/20 at 15:21:05

yeah...I figured it wouldn't get me a savings in power but hoping brighter?
Power savings is not my end game really and it was there so why not?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/11/20 at 04:04:23

Bubba wrote on 04/08/20 at 15:21:05:
Power savings is not my end game really and it was there so why not?

Saving power is not really possible on this bike, as the charging system always puts out the same amount of power - any power you don't use is just wasted as heat by the regulator/rectifier.  (An exception to this might be if you are trying to free up some power to run heated grips or heated clothing).

A brighter headlight is definitely a valid goal - the stock headlight puts out a crappy amount of light.  The stock turns signals and tail light are actually pretty good and easily seen - a lot of the cheaper LED replacements put out less visible light and are hard to see in daylight or direct sun.  I have followed motorcycles with replacement LED tail/turn signal lights that are nearly invisible in the daylight.  You need bright tail/turn signal lights to get the attention of other traffic - they won't be staring at your tail light....but instead are likely looking elsewhere and you need to get their attention.  Don't be fooled by the fact that you might be able to see your lights flashing when the bike is in your garage or driveway and you are looking right at it......take it out in the sunshine, get back 200 feet and look away a bit - and you should be able to see the light flashing with your peripheral vision.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 04/15/20 at 07:29:33

Thanks Dave,
Well I got the new "Native H4R2" lamp (https://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4r2/) in the bucket and replaced the tail/brake light with the LED I bought. As far as the performance the LED headlamp is crazy!
Super bright, perfect fit in the stock headlight housing and the beam pattern is just about perfect.

I did notice that when on low beam there is noticeable "notch" right in the top center of the beam but really it may have been the same on the stock bulb but just not noticeable because the stock light was so dim.

As far as the tail/brake light I wasn't as impressed. It's fine but not as bright as the stock 1157 bulb...especially when applying the brake. I may just switch it back to stock but the jury is still out on that since I only was able to go out for 10 minutes last night (35 degrees).

I can always use the new one in one of my vintage 2 stroke mopeds if I decide to go back so not a total loss.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 10:51:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Complete LED Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.