Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Springtime Noise (Read 78 times)
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Springtime Noise
03/25/20 at 09:29:39

So now that its warmed up to a balmy 50 here in Michigan, Iv'e gotten the bike out and running on a couple of short drives, (5,10, 20 miles). I've noticed a new noise and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

So background on bike, 2012, 4.4k miles, good chain tensioner (checked last fall). Only work I did over the winter was to wrap the muffler and put in a led headlight bulb.

So to the noise, Its like a metal ticking sound, I notice it at slower speeds (20-45) and ONLY when I'm giving the bike a bit of gas (to keep speed/ avoid stall) AND when the clutch is not pulled in.  It disappears if I gun the engine on a quick acceleration. I cant pinpoint which side its coming from (since Im driving when I hear it). It seems to be coming from the Engine itself (I tried holding the headlight and speedometer in case those were loose.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Springtime Noise
Reply #1 - 03/26/20 at 13:17:30

You should determine of the ticking increases with the speed of the engine or the speed of the wheels.  That will tell you if it is the engine or something in the drive train so you can diagnose further.  You're going to have to play around a bit to figure that one out...maybe same speeds but different gears.  She what the sound does, or doesn't.

It could just be the normal valve ticking that this bike makes, but only you know what is normal for your bike and what isn't to know if that's the case.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/26/20 at 17:59:53

Check for a stone in the drive belt.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/26/20 at 19:10:49

I had something similar develop a few years back and it did follow the engine rpm and it did get slightly louder over time.  
I could hear it at idle and when moving slowly but it disappeared when rpm/ speed rose.
Turned out that as my bike sat for a bit over a year, when I went to start it there was apparently some rust that had developed on the rings and when started the rings momentarily stuck to the cylinder which caused the piston be yanked sideways and that left a bit of aluminum from the edge of the piston on the cinder wall, so as the piston passed over this spot it would cause the tick.
Replaced piston and removed aluminum from cylinder wall.  Honed it and all was well for the rebuild.

But, check the things mentioned above first of course.

IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/29/20 at 10:08:34

Alright, I cleaned out the belt and the gears, tightened the muffler bolts, and now I dont seem to hear it on my test drives.  Weathers gotten crappy again, so I'll have to wait and see if that did it on a longer ride.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 03/29/20 at 21:11:29

Glad you seem to have it sorted. My bike  developed a disturbing rattle at one point. I held the headlight, pressed on the speedo, listened at various rpm etc. The noise would get loud on throttle but stop if I pulled the clutch. I racked my brain trying to diagnose it - I was thinking cam-chain. But, I remembered some wisdom I read on here once from forum member JustinOGuy2. "Check the last thing you changed". The last thing I changed were bar-end mirrors. Sure enough, the glass was loose in one of the mirrors!!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 11:45:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Springtime Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.