Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shorted out (Read 132 times)
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

shorted out
03/08/20 at 14:44:49

I was driving last night and my headlight went out and then my tail lights went out.  As I was pulling over, my engine died.  I realized my positive terminal was loose.  When it was loose I think it created a short with the battery case.  I replaced the taillights and they were both burned out.  Guessing the headlight is the same.  Now, what's the source that shorted out my spark?  CDI?  I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to test the CDI to rule it out

Both wires at coil have power

I have no power at the 2 wires running from CDI to generator.  Should these have power with key on?

Attempting to test the CDI -Orange wire with a white stripe, and the black wire with a white stripe on a voltage meter = close to battery voltage
Instructions say blue wire w/ yellow stripe (looks to me like a black wire with yellow stripe with black wire with white stripe on volt meter = close to battery voltage as well
And that's where I'm getting lost in the instructions

« Last Edit: 03/08/20 at 17:44:08 by JohnsonLager »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: shorted out
Reply #1 - 03/08/20 at 19:44:03

I am far from an electronic wizard, but seems to me that something happened that resulted in a major voltage spike.

You are saying that the positive battery cable came loose, and you think that it came into contact with the metal battery box.  Do I have that correct?

Then you ended up with the engine dead and all the light bulbs burnt out.  Do I have that correct?

A dead short to ground at the positive terminal would also short the output from the voltage regulator.  Seems to me like that would pretty much cook the regulator.  I suspect then it wouldn't regulate and your voltage would be uncontrolled.

It is also possible that the battery cable never actually touched the metal box, but lost contact with the battery terminal, in which case the regulator would sense that there was extremely low battery voltage and let charging voltage go through the roof.

Those scenarios would be consistent with all the burnt out bulbs.

Is your ignition system dead?  When you crank it with the plug removed & grounded, do you see spark across the electrodes?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/20 at 20:42:05

Yes, that's the case.  I don't think the cable came in contact with the case but may have been close enough to bridge a spark.

And yes, first the headlight went, then I noticed the tail lights (but it was one after the other because I checked and they worked at first) then the engine died and seemed like it was losing spark while dying.  

The voltage regulator is on my radar.  How do I check that?

I think the other scenario you mentioned about the cable coming loose and that leading to a high charging voltage seems probable as well.

My focus at this time is to confirm if the green and orange wires going from CDI to the generator are suppose to have power with the engine on and to test the CDI for function.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/09/20 at 00:34:21

The green and orange wires are from the inductive pickup.  They aren't energized by the battery.  They transmit an inductive signal to the ignition unit once every revolution of the crankshaft.  You test by measuring the resistance through the pickup.  It should be 200 to 240 ohms.  I doubt that the inductive pickup was affected by your particular failure, but ya never know.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/09/20 at 05:18:47

Ah, thank you for that clarification.  So, my primary suspects are CDI and voltage regulator, do you agree?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/09/20 at 06:25:41

If it was a Voltage spike is likely from the regulator/rectifier going bad.

Rectifier turns 3 phase AC into a very jittery DC.
Regulator keeps it at somewhere under 14.7v by cutting off those jitter and hence smoothing it out. A problem here will get the higher and jittery voltage into the charging circuit and burn stuff that cant take over 14.7v. Usually headlight bulbs die @ ~17 V. Thought tail light would take more than 20 but not sure with the new Chinese "quality" stuff.

There have been cases of people fitting GM R/R's into bikes I have read, but IMHO a new style mosfet R/R is a better bet - if you did over voltage the system. I'd say its almost a must if you're using a LiFePo battery regardless of spike or not. Those guys do not like being run at 14.7v charging voltage.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/09/20 at 19:45:04

If I did overvoltage the system what would be the likely suspect for no spark now?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/09/20 at 21:08:19

Make sure the wiring hasn't been against the belt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 03/10/20 at 05:26:43

JohnsonLager wrote on 03/09/20 at 19:45:04:
If I did overvoltage the system what would be the likely suspect for no spark now?

I think spark is inductive pickup to TCI which sends a burst of 12v to the ignition coil low voltage side which then turns low voltage to high voltage in the coil using a turns ratio type of thing.
So you can check if tci is working to see if inductive pickup is letting the 12v come through to the low side of ignition coil. If you're getting that voltage burst at low then the coil itself is bad. TCI also controls the spark advance but that's harder to test.
BTW test your regulator - test for voltage at the battery with it idling and at about 3000 rpm (duh - its not running - sorry about that). If its over 14.7 at any rpm, the R/R is dead. Replace that before more trouble shooting. You can not trouble shoot these with a higher than spec voltage. That's a recipe to burn more stuff out.
PS: The battery should not have more than 14.5 or so V and should have close to that when you test the rest of the circuit.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/10/20 at 16:56:13

Is your ignition system dead?  When you crank it with the plug removed & grounded, do you see spark across the electrodes?

So, I guess the answer to this question is "yes".

You can test the integrity of the inductive pickup with an ohmmeter.  When you connect the meter probes to the orange and green wires, the resistnace should be 176 to 266 ohms.  Sorry about my prior ohm value, I mistook the 20% tolerance for 20 ohms.  So its 220 ohms plus/minus 20%, or 176 to  266 ohms.

You can test the ignition coil with an ohmmeter.  

To test the coil primary windings, connect the meter probes to the male spade connectors that accept the black/yellow and orange/white wires.  The resistance should be 1 to 7 ohms.

To test the coil secondary windings, connect the meter probes to the male spade connector that accepts the black/yellow wire and the high tension connector terminal that normally connects to the spark plug.  The resistance should be 10,000 to 25,000 ohms.

And of course, make sure that with the ignition switch and kill switch in the run position, you get at least 12 volts to the coil and ignitor unit, orange/white wire.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/11/20 at 16:51:12

srinath - if I'm understanding you, I should be able to see a voltage burst at the coil? If that's the case, I don't believe I am getting a burst.

I have replaced the coil because I had one from a previous misdiagnosis and if I assume because it is new it is in working condition, I can rule out the coil as the culprit.  
I will go ahead and test it and I will test the regulator and if both seem to be in working order I am going to order a CDI.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/11/20 at 20:29:56

Anyone check the fuses?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 03/12/20 at 05:39:59

JohnsonLager wrote on 03/11/20 at 16:51:12:
srinath - if I'm understanding you, I should be able to see a voltage burst at the coil? If that's the case, I don't believe I am getting a burst.

I have replaced the coil because I had one from a previous misdiagnosis and if I assume because it is new it is in working condition, I can rule out the coil as the culprit.  
I will go ahead and test it and I will test the regulator and if both seem to be in working order I am going to order a CDI.

When the inductive pickup sees the holes in the alternator rotor it would send a signal to the TCI, that will send a short burst of battery voltage to the low voltage side of the coil. If the coil is definitely good, you can just check for spark which is on the high voltage side of the coil. Its kinda hard to see that split second burst with a digital gauge. It might not even catch it. Analog gauges with the right range setting may still only make a short kick but if you keep looking at it you may catch that. Testing a coil is much easier on the spark plug side.
The inductive pickup does not have battery voltage running to it, I would assume it is safe in this situation. It basically sees metal and has one inductance and suddenly sees no metal and its inductance changes. You can measure across its plug for a change in resistance and turn it to the solid part of the rotor, then holes and leave it there and take your 2 measurements. They should be significantly different. That's a clue its working as intended. For good measure check its specs in the manual and compare.
Some bikes like my GS500 have the opposite type too, they see no metal till the nose of the ignition advancer flies past them. They sense rpm using the duration the metal is close to them. We grind off 1/2 that and it thinks its at a higher rpm and gives you higher advance. In a savage we need to fill the last hole in the rotor, a much harder and imprecise thing to do to get the same result.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 03/14/20 at 11:23:39

On the Savage you can advance or retard ignition timing(about 3 degrees ) by slightly elongating the mounting holes for the pickup coil .Advancing the timing 1.5 degrees would return the motor to it's original state at the point when the adjuster needs Verslagen's mod, if memory serves.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 03/15/20 at 06:54:57

batman wrote on 03/14/20 at 11:23:39:
On the Savage you can advance or retard ignition timing(about 3 degrees ) by slightly elongating the mounting holes for the pickup coil .Advancing the timing 1.5 degrees would return the motor to it's original state at the point when the adjuster needs Verslagen's mod, if memory serves.

Yes, that's just static advance, on the bikes like GS and katana we can cut the nose in 1/2 making the bike think its running 5000 rpm when its running 2500 and give you full advance by 2500 or some like that. We cut like 40% off, so we get full advance ~3500 instead of the 5K.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:43:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shorted out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.