Send Topic Print
87' to 96' motor swap? (Read 168 times)
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

87' to 96' motor swap?
03/03/20 at 18:24:39

I've been building this 87' from ground up, started with a junkyard bike, already had to helicoil a couple bolts in motor and drill out a broken bolt, none of which was my fault it came that way, did Versi head plug an ALOT of various other things/ REPAIRS. I've been building it for the last year and even though I've only road this bike a few times in the last couple weeks I've fallen in love with it and will not give up. That said, I went for a ride last weekend notice a little oil seeping out a couple bolts intop of head so went to re torque them down and they were both loose, one broke off, it's a long one and other stripped out the hole also a long one, every time I ride it seems like motor bolt even torqued to spec keep breaking. There's a 96' for sale in my area with 1,300 origal miles on it so I was thinking of doing a motor swap, how easy is that or is it even possible, I know there some differences in electrical but just wanting to explore my options. Any info will be grateful appreciated.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: 87' to 96' motor swap?
Reply #1 - 03/03/20 at 21:37:26

There's no difference in the size of the motors it should bolt right up. Yes there is differences in the wiring harnesses , but it's mostly the connectors ,nothing that you couldn't work around. If the 96 has a good title and is in reasonable condition ,then I'd use the 87 for a parts bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/03/20 at 22:27:52

I prefer the newer hardware, so if you swap engines I'd also swap the wiring harness and all connected to it.
use the TCI (ignition box) that came with each engine, otherwise you need to swap rotors as the timing is different between the bikes.

WWW   IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/05/20 at 16:23:29

I figured I would have to swap all electrical also, based on wireing diagrams in clymer manual. Plus when I got this junkyard bike the wireharness was ripped apart, so I basically started completely over and wired the I tire thing myself with all new except some connectors. I'm gonna pull my motor and do helicoils and replace broken bolts and slap it back in and see what happends I just wanted a back up plan. Thanks again for the info u guys are AWSOME.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 03/06/20 at 06:45:49

I have a 95 motor that has the top end off and both cases open, which the engine failed due to a snapped cam chain tensioner.  If there are random parts you need let me know and I can see what's there.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/09/20 at 03:44:42

Will do thank u.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 02:52:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87' to 96' motor swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.