Send Topic Print
UFO blues (Read 284 times)
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UFO blues
03/02/20 at 23:08:27

so i run a vm36 with torque wing and dial a jet. ive got the 94mm wiseco, a cone filter and a mac exhaust and header, those were great upgrades. i finally put in a ufo and it didnt seem to make any difference. i went down to a 22.5 pilot. if i go lower will that help the ufo draw more throught the needle jet?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: UFO blues
Reply #1 - 03/03/20 at 08:08:11

I'm nobody to be asking, but what cam are you running? what main jet and needle height? the main jet may pull fuel better if the float height is set slightly higher. If the cone filter is mounted directly to the carb that may not be all that great either.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/03/20 at 08:28:10

oh yeah, thats important. i am runnin a stage 3 cam, the main is 195 i think, the neele is set on middle clip. it was running super awesome with just the dial a jet and torque wing. then i added the ufo, reduced pilot to 22.5  and i swear it runs the same. no noticeable difference. im stumped. it idles fine, pulls just like it did before the ufo all the way to like 7000 rpm. no hesitations, no popping or detonation or backfiring, just no real difference. i think the idea is to use the smallest pilot possible to get more to pull from the needle faster. so im gonna gow down to a 17.5 and see what happens. Grin

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/03/20 at 14:05:01

I'm amazed you can get it to idle with that 22.5 pilot.  I couldn't get the contraption to run worth a darn.  It was just so rich at idle on up to about 1/4 throttle, couldn't ride the thing without constantly worrying about getting stuck with a fouled spark plug.  Had it down to a #15 PJ and it was still waaaaay too rich.  Tried the drill job on the PJ hood.  No work.  Started lobbing off the hood.  Still no work.  Lobbed the hood entirely off, then it would idle and run half decent, but I burned the engine up befrore I was able to finish setting up the UFO.

I intend to try again.  I have several smaller PJs and several larger air bleeds, and a full set of MJs all the way to #300.  So I have a decent set of jets to try and sort it out.

This is a shot of the drilled NJ hood.  The hole is too high in the hood.  I found out later that the hole should be as close as reasonably possible to the bottom of the hood.

NJ_Hole_3_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 03/03/20 at 14:08:09

This is a shot of what I ended up with.  This at least got it to idle reasonably well and the part throttle operation was acceptable.  But larger throttle openings were on the lean side.  With a #240 MJ it ran 13 to 13.5 on the A/F meter at WOT.  I found out the hard way that you gotta be deep in the 12 zone on the A/F.

NJ_Cut_4_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/03/20 at 14:14:12

Tell us more about how you got it to idle with the 22.5 PJ.  Where did your air-screw end up?  Oh, BTW, I was using the UFO on a 38VM.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/03/20 at 15:36:04

DBM, what NJ’s smaller than the stock Q2 ?
I am going to try a P4 on a 38 VM initially.
It is amazing how much difference there is in the old & new UFO’s.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/03/20 at 21:54:46

Lancer asked: "DBM, what NJ’s smaller than the stock Q2 ?"

I have a P-4 & a P-2 in hand.  I changed the modified Q-2 and am currently running with a standard Q-2 and the carb setup without the UFO.  Main jet #220, pilot jet #22.5, needle jet Q-2, needle 6DP1 with clip in center groove, slide 2.5, main air bleed #0.5.

Just breaking in a new piston and rings at this point.  It's running perfect but I haven't poured on the coal yet.  I'm going to finish my carburetor comparison (have to start over from square-one), do some testing on crankcase vacuum (KarnkVent vs open breather), and evaluate the performance between the Wiseco pop-top vs tight quench flat-top.  Once all that is finished I will attempt the UFO again.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/04/20 at 05:30:57

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/03/20 at 21:54:46:
Lancer asked: "DBM, what NJ’s smaller than the stock Q2 ?"

I have a P-4 & a P-2 in hand.  I changed the modified Q-2 and am currently running with a standard Q-2 and the carb setup without the UFO.  Main jet #220, pilot jet #22.5, needle jet Q-2, needle 6DP1 with clip in center groove, slide 2.5, main air bleed #0.5.

Just breaking in a new piston and rings at this point.  It's running perfect but I haven't poured on the coal yet.  I'm going to finish my carburetor comparison (have to start over from square-one), do some testing on crankcase vacuum (KarnkVent vs open breather), and evaluate the performance between the Wiseco pop-top vs tight quench flat-top.  Once all that is finished I will attempt the UFO again.

Well OK then !  Cool

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/06/20 at 12:16:41

On 3/3/20 Lancer wrote: "It is amazing how much difference there is in the old & new UFO’s."

Lancer, don't leave us hangin here.  What are these differences between old style & new style?  Howzabout some pics.  We need all the help we can get.  Shocked

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 03/06/20 at 13:50:21

Yes pics please. I wasn't aware there were 2 , a old and a new. I imagine both of mine are old style. Wonder if new style is giving everyone fits. As I remember my vm36 came from Lancer perfectly jetted and at that point I installed the quad wingy thingy with a minor power increase till it approached 1/2 throttle then it took off. Next was UFO significant power difference. Still working on off idle snap (cough n fart). Next was Dialajet , didn't like it cause of its adjuster. Next was Intelajet , now fuel delivery is seamless with great acceleration,not scary fast but it gives you a thrill for sure. I like it but I like R&D too and am willing to spend the time to get results. Now sort out that off idle thing and I can call it done. Well the carb anyways.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/06/20 at 17:25:59

Will let you know what I find.
Limited available time for now.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/22/20 at 15:05:11

ok. im gonna make my best attemt at explainig what i did and how.  97ls650, velocity stack (with filter net dont freak out)  mikuni vm36, quad flow torque wing, dial a jet, U.F.O.(yes the new one!!! i had to wait till december for them to come out for sale i was one of the first to get one according to lonn at thunder products. He actually sold me an old one that wont fit the newer vm36 by accident (mikuni made the slide 1mm narrower so old slide wont fit) , and put the new ones into high gear for manufacturing to get me one. his mistake made him move on the new ones. lonn is awesome, thanks lonn! the airflow on the new ones in much improved im told. 12.5 pilot ( i was wrong about 15 pilot, it WAS idling too high.) 12.5 pilot and about 2 turns out on the air screw and it idles right around 1100 RPMs like supposed too. i did a mild polish of both intake and exhaust ports, stage 3 webcam cam, wiseco 10:1 94 mm piston (no bore just higher compression) nology plug wire, Krank vent crankcse breather, 1,000,000 cosmetic changes, ill post some pics soon. gotta take some. anyway.....IT FREAKING RIPS!!!! It is super fast off the line, 0-60 is almost too fast for a cruiser in my opinion, then just good acceleration to about 80, then pulls slowly to 90. i weigh 280 lbs, AND GET THIS, i am at 8,000 ft. of altitude in Colorado mtns. (lots of tool time in winter) so i am taking it down to death valley area to do some time trials. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. i cant tell you the H.P. yet. MY buddies brand new Dyno sits unusable and not set up because of virus b.s., im dying to find out what its putting out and will post as soon as i know. Also my buddy who is a famous motorcycle mechanic who asked to not be mentioned....did the tuning for me and i forgot to ask waht size main he used. ill find out. also i have one of those Mac headers and reverse cone exhaust combo most say the header is too big. my header inside diameter appered to be a little over 1.7 inches ID (finally got acurte measurement). Seems to work killer. a little smaller ID may be better but i darn sure aint complaining, it is a totally transformed machine. fire away.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/22/20 at 15:11:10

I should say thanks to Lancer for the carb and piston and webcam cam, and to Verslagen for the cam chain tensioner and head plug (excellent craftsmanship brother)

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 03/23/20 at 04:30:27

Good work SavageDude.  Glad to hear you got it runnin sweet.

Is there any way you can post the specifics?  It would be invaluable to know the exact jets that were used to get the UFO dialed in.  Can you spell out the data for, Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle Jet, Jet-Needle & clip position, Main Air Bleed.

Were you able to get it to run correctly with the as-delivered needle jet, or did you have to install a smaller neelde jet, or possibly a different needle?  Did you drill a hole in the needle jet hood, or trim the hood?

That information would be most helpful.

Most experience a super-rich idle mixture with the UFO.  Getting the idle mixture correct at 8000 feet with a UFO is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › UFO blues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.