Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do I need to adjust my valves? (Video) (Read 133 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Do I need to adjust my valves? (Video)
04/12/20 at 15:21:14

Hi guys,

Is my ticking too much? Do the valves sound like they need adjusting?  Here is a link to a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/e2Q1RGaTT193UaoS7

Thanks in advance

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Do I need to adjust my valves? (Video)
Reply #1 - 04/12/20 at 16:21:12

Sounds normal to me.

When was the last time you checked them?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #2 - 04/12/20 at 16:48:54

norm92de wrote on 04/12/20 at 16:21:12:
Sounds normal to me.

When was the last time you checked them?

I haven't. I just know that a slight tap noise is normal for these bikes, but not sure how much is too much.  The bike has around 10,000 miles.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 04/12/20 at 17:15:31

I don't blame you for wondering, but while 10K on a bike sounds like a lot would anyone ever think to do a valve adjustment on a 10k mile car????

I think what you should be checking is the cam chain tensioner, because that is the weak link on these bikes.

IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #4 - 04/12/20 at 17:19:41

ohiomoto wrote on 04/12/20 at 17:15:31:
I don't blame you for wondering, but while 10K on a bike sounds like a lot would anyone ever think to do a valve adjustment on a 10k mile car????

I think what you should be checking is the cam chain tensioner, because that is the weak link on these bikes.

I just put a modded cam chain tensioner in last week.  Smiley

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/12/20 at 18:37:03

Why not just go ahead and check them. Then you'll know for sure.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #6 - 04/12/20 at 18:52:05

oldNslow wrote on 04/12/20 at 18:37:03:
Why not just go ahead and check them. Then you'll know for sure.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

Mainly because I just got it all buttoned up after modding over the winter. I guess if I have to I will.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 04/12/20 at 18:58:47

If you just replaced the tensioner , that would have been the time to check the valve clearance. It's not that you might be damaging the valve train , but that you may be robbing the motor of power,  after about 5000 miles the ends of the adjuster bolts tend to become hardened from striking the valve stems and may increase the valve clearances ,that may be why they seem slightly louder to you, but that also reduces how far they open.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #8 - 04/12/20 at 19:06:31

batman wrote on 04/12/20 at 18:58:47:
If you just replaced the tensioner , that would have been the time to check the valve clearance. It's not that you might be damaging the valve train , but that you may be robbing the motor of power,  after about 5000 miles the ends of the adjuster bolts tend to become hardened from striking the valve stems and may increase the valve clearances ,that may be why they seem slightly louder to you, but that also reduces how far they open.

Right. I know that it's not damaging the engine, but the noise is annoying and it will drive me crazy... Lol. I may just need to check it. How come when I changed the tensioner that would have been the time to check the valves?  Do I need to drain all of the oil when checking the valves? I'm not a mechanic, but I am comfortable getting my hands dirty with the bike, plus my neighbor is an airplane mechanic and he knows a lot and always gives me a hand when I need it. Already spoke to him about helping me with this. Main reason I didn't feel like checking was because I just wired the bike all back up and didn't want to have to pull the tank out, but I guess I'm gonna have to so I can put my mind at rest.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/12/20 at 22:05:18

There's no reason to drain the oil, you may loose a tiny bit when you open the plug to rotate the motor to TDC . but you should read about it first ,remember to rotate the motor in the same direction as the wheels turn for starters.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #10 - 04/12/20 at 22:37:33

batman wrote on 04/12/20 at 22:05:18:
 There's no reason to drain the oil, you may loose a tiny bit when you open the plug to rotate the motor to TDC . but you should read about it first ,remember to rotate the motor in the same direction as the wheels turn for starters.

The only thing I'm really confused about is what I need to take apart to get at the valves.

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/13/20 at 06:56:28

No most cars have a hydraulic valve system that self adjusts for 1000's of miles.
A bike with a slightly tight valve which is just under the low end of spec will start up cold perfectly, and want to stall 5 seconds in. If you used the choke and keep it revved and keep it from stalling it will warm up and once warm, run perfectly till you shut it off and it cools down - where it will repeat the original problem.

See when hot, valve clearance increases. The heat path between the 2 that are adjusted when you adjust valve clearance is all aluminum - via the head, and all steel Valve to rocker tip. The aluminum will expand more than the steel will. However that does not mean they heat up at the same rate. The valve heats up faster. That causes the near 0 but positive clearance to turn negative (valve hangs open in the chamber when its supposed to be closed). Eventually it could burn, valves shed head by the intake charge flowing over their face and the seat conducting it into the head. But to burn, it would need to sort of never close - it has to be very tight, and it will not run right even when warmed up.

A valve with too much clearance will make a lot of noise. This is annoying but really not too big a deal till it really really gets excessive. Then it will beat up the adjuster and top of valve stem too much.

You can check/adjust the valves without doing anything else. Oil change not necessary. BTW you need to get the spark plug out, and if you were going to change that this is a good time to do so. Its an easy enough task if you have tiny tiny tiny and super strong fingers. LOL. Fatter and weaker fingers have more trouble.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #12 - 04/13/20 at 07:53:58

srinath wrote on 04/13/20 at 06:56:28:

No most cars have a hydraulic valve system that self adjusts for 1000's of miles.
A bike with a slightly tight valve which is just under the low end of spec will start up cold perfectly, and want to stall 5 seconds in. If you used the choke and keep it revved and keep it from stalling it will warm up and once warm, run perfectly till you shut it off and it cools down - where it will repeat the original problem.

See when hot, valve clearance increases. The heat path between the 2 that are adjusted when you adjust valve clearance is all aluminum - via the head, and all steel Valve to rocker tip. The aluminum will expand more than the steel will. However that does not mean they heat up at the same rate. The valve heats up faster. That causes the near 0 but positive clearance to turn negative (valve hangs open in the chamber when its supposed to be closed). Eventually it could burn, valves shed head by the intake charge flowing over their face and the seat conducting it into the head. But to burn, it would need to sort of never close - it has to be very tight, and it will not run right even when warmed up.

A valve with too much clearance will make a lot of noise. This is annoying but really not too big a deal till it really really gets excessive. Then it will beat up the adjuster and top of valve stem too much.

You can check/adjust the valves without doing anything else. Oil change not necessary. BTW you need to get the spark plug out, and if you were going to change that this is a good time to do so. Its an easy enough task if you have tiny tiny tiny and super strong fingers. LOL. Fatter and weaker fingers have more trouble.

Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks for the info. So I remove the tank, head cover, and the valve cover and that's all I need to take off to access the valves?

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 04/13/20 at 08:20:14

The tank, left side "spark plug door", the big slotted cap on the left side cover need to be removed. After which you can tell when a the valve is closed. Weirdly its not required to do them at TDC on compression stroke.

So think about this - TDC on compression stroke has the intake closed for almost 180 degrees of crank, and exhaust has been closed for 360 degrees. So intake is set to open in 360 and exhaust set to open in 180. You don't need to be there. You can well do it separately as well with the exhaust 1/2 way up the compression stroke, and intake 1/2 way down the suction stroke. You can see the rocker lift and turn the crank 90 or so degrees from there and check that. Repeat on other side. Its a lot easier if you can do it that way. In effect you can put the bike in gear and spin the back wheel cos I hate turning it at the crank. You can see the intake easily there. If you really need to you can have a spotter for the exhaust.
On my GS 500 thanks to the center stand and a cam on top of bucket design, I never turn the crank. You can see all 4 cams from the rear wheel and is easy to turn it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 04/13/20 at 08:21:11

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So I remove the tank, head cover, and the valve cover and that's all I need to take off to access the valves?

Not the head cover. Just the two chrome decorative pieces on either side of the head cover. And the two small valve covers. One on the front and one on the back of the head cover.

Parts #29,#30, #38 on the diagram. The valve covers are #38 - both the same)

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147741#...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 15:57:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do I need to adjust my valves? (Video)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.