Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drink, drink, drink 'da oil (Read 158 times)
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Drink, drink, drink 'da oil
02/12/20 at 15:14:24

After some maintenance under the head cover, my head seems essentially leak-free.   Hurray!

-but this bike drinks oil.   Maybe at a normal rate.   Exhaust doesn't seem extraordinary; last time I pulled the spark plug, it look unremarkable.   I really need to keep an oil log.

That said, after about 500 miles of sustained 75-80 mph, checked the level- and couldn't see anything in the window, no matter how far over I managed to tilt it.   Adding oil, at least I could see a coating inside the case.

Last time I ran it, it seemed like I could over-rev the engine if acceleration was too aggressive; might that be a by-product of being ran dry?

The Savage may be a dirty beast- but it didn't burn up, being so ill treated.   I wonder- do you have any other bike that drinks so much- or that would put up with such abuse, dry?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Drink, drink, drink 'da oil
Reply #1 - 02/12/20 at 15:28:18

The harder you run this engine, the more oil it will consume. If you are regularly running 80 mph on a Savage you are riding at nearly full capability of the engine. I would consider different gearing, slowing down, or a different bike.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/12/20 at 15:52:59

Also the bottom end is ball bearing. In much of that 1/2 oil is a coolant, including on the cylinder walls and piston undersides, and they get splattered with oil and the heat causes evaporation and poof a little oil disappears.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 02/12/20 at 16:34:42

Look at Drag Bike Mike's posts on a proper crank breather. Might be a simple way to reduce oil consumption.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/12/20 at 21:18:10

What oil you using?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #5 - 02/13/20 at 05:18:37

Retella T4 dinosaur.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 02/13/20 at 06:55:03

Armen wrote on 02/12/20 at 16:34:42:
Look at Drag Bike Mike's posts on a proper crank breather.

I re-read this with new appreciation:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1570415428/0

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #7 - 02/13/20 at 06:57:26

srinath wrote on 02/12/20 at 15:52:59:
In much of that 1/2 oil is a coolant, including on the cylinder walls and piston undersides, and they get splattered with oil and the heat causes evaporation and poof a little oil disappears.

I was lucky- the couple hundred miles, the air temp max was in the 50's, and wet; maybe why the engine didn't cook, getting by on dregs.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #8 - 02/13/20 at 07:00:23

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/12/20 at 15:28:18:
I would consider different gearing, slowing down, or a different bike.

Chain conversion and re-gearing are on the list.   Though I covet lower rev's at high speed, I fear a loss of git-up-and-go when passing.

I'm reluctant to switch bikes- the replacement would have to feature the mechanical accessibility and support I enjoy with the Savage, no more weight, at least as much power, and preferably growl more than whine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/13/20 at 11:24:39

Mavigogun wrote on 02/13/20 at 05:18:37:
Retella T4 dinosaur.

When I was running Dino I saw oil use increase the closer I got to oil change time.

New oil, I could run the snot out of it. After 12,,, 1500 miles, better be watching, especially if highway speed is involved.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 02/13/20 at 13:12:00

If you continue to operate at sustained speeds above 50 mph, I believe you can dramatically reduce your oil consumption by using an independent breather assembly.  The stock breather setup pulls oil out of the engine at high rpm.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 02/13/20 at 13:39:16

That's interesting Mike. I have an independent breather (with a K&N filter at the end of the hose) and I don't use a drop of oil.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 02/14/20 at 06:28:42

Mavigonon,
Think about the Kawasaki front pulley that Dave sells. Taller gearing and you  get to keep the belt. Very easy conversion.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #13 - 02/14/20 at 08:08:21

I appreciate the insight.    Is there an alternative to feeding the crankcase vapors into the airbox for burning in the engine, or ultimate unburnt release into the atmosphere via an independent crankcase breather?     My after-market exhaust is hot enough to ignite unburnt gasses- might we introduce the crank case vapors into a combustion chamber affixed to the exhaust?   The combination of 'highway gearing' with crankcase conversion outside the engine seems ideal- if possible.

Related, might we progressively drive more air into the carb as speed increases to counter the overly rich mix created by the airbox-introduced crankcase vapors?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 02/14/20 at 09:24:26

Have you pulled the plug out of the drain tube coming from the bottom of the airbox to see how much oil was collected in the air box?

How much oil did you have to add when you discovered the level was low?

FWIW my bike has the stock intake and exhaust and as far as I know the jets in the carb are also stock - I've never looked though.

I have never run my bike continuously for 500 miles at 75-80 mph but I've done many trips that involved running those speeds on interstates for several hours at a stretch, interspersed with time spent on secondary roads and in traffic, and have never had to add oil on any those trips.

I have used Rotella dino oil since I bought the bike ( I'm not the first owner. I bought the bike with around nine thousand miles on it and I don't know it's history) I change the oil and filter at 3500 miles and have never added oil between changes.  I have gotten maybe a teaspoon full of watery looking oil gunk out of the airbox drain at each oil change.

Running the engine out of oil in 500 miles even at the speeds you are talking about seems like an awful lot of oil to be coming out the breather.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:17:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drink, drink, drink 'da oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.