Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Galvanizing the entire frame? (Read 168 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Galvanizing the entire frame?
02/10/20 at 02:28:25

I am stripping my frame trying to take care of many years of abuse from previous owners and some parts of the frame show quite a bit of rust so I am thinking about glass bead blasting the entire frame and then galvanize it before I paint it. Has anyone galvanized the entire frame before? Can it be done (are all tubes open in both ends so I don't end up with a lot of Zinc in some places where it can not escape from)?

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Galvanizing the entire frame?
Reply #1 - 02/10/20 at 03:12:23

Yes it can be done, but it needs finishing, Zinc has crystals and you see that in the surface. All holes must be made to size again. When the frame is removed from the zinc bath, they let it drip out. So you get drips, and a thicker layer of zinc on the lower parts. Not really a nice surface for a layer of paint.

Spraying a zinc layer with a flame is better.
But I wouldn't do that either.

I would bring it to a professional powder coat company and have it sandblasted  and  and bring on a 3-layer system with a high-gloss finish.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #2 - 02/10/20 at 03:51:49

Excellent input. Thank you very much.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #3 - 02/10/20 at 10:04:30

Paint is reasonable -but there’s very little reasonable about the Savage.   I wanna see one copper plated:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+copper+electroplating

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/10/20 at 10:11:08

Before I went any further I'd test the frame to see if it retains a new bearing race. I've no idea what the rust did.
A really careful inspection of the frame would be in order.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/10/20 at 18:56:27

+1. Get the bike in good working order then decide if it's worth making pretty.  Also, understand that much of the frame is built with fairly thin tubing.  Surface rust shouldn't pose a problem, but anything more could compromise it's integrity.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 02/13/20 at 21:29:29

If you're hot dip galvanizing - then you need to drill a bunch of drain holes atleast 1/4" diameter. They drop the whole frame in a molten zinc and it will get in the frame rails and needs to get out.
And prepare for huge sections of it that will be filled with zinc that has solidified. Frame goes in 20lb and comes out 100 lb. So I guess weigh it so you know if its come back 1/ filled with zinc.
Now the outside will be that chunked up highway guard rail look, its pretty OK … but remember its still only about 10yrs before it rusts again.
If you painted or powdercoated it, you will easily get 20+ yrs of it looking beautiful without even worrying about it.

But if you do hot dip galvanize it, we definitely wanna see pics of it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #7 - 02/13/20 at 22:59:12

My plan actually WAS hot dip. There is a company that helped me with hot dip galvanizing with a part I needed for something completely different and that gave me the idea of doing it to the frame.

The risk of partly filling part of the frame is probably my greatest concern and I do not want to drill holes anywhere since it may weaken the frame so I will probably do as you suggest - sand or glass blast it and hand it over to a company that can professionally paint it for me. Either wet paint or powder coat.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/14/20 at 04:47:38

Good powdercoaters basically blast it with emery dust, or a similar dust free abrasive, the rust will be a distant memory. They do not acid dip it, I don't like that method, it would get inside the frame and can eat it inside out.
BTW I have powdercoated several frames and am not regretting it cos I want to cut 2-3 of em to mod them, will look stupid.
One frame I did in silver with a multi color flecks in the clear, looked awesome, sadly I cant even find that fleck mix any more and I have already cut that frame.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #9 - 02/16/20 at 20:03:03

i was always under the impression that if you hot dip steel it can make it brittle.  im not sure to what extent, but its a thought.  another issue is if it gets scratched then you will get rust under the coating through galvanic reaction.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/17/20 at 07:09:15

I’ve had great success with powder coating motorcycle frames. For spot rust I use POR-15.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 02/17/20 at 09:45:06

zinc is used in steel hulled ships as a sacrificial metal ,I don't understand how it would aid in deterring rust , I think it may end up being the worst think to use .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/17/20 at 10:34:01

batman wrote on 02/17/20 at 09:45:06:
zinc is used in steel hulled ships as a sacrificial metal ,I don't understand how it would aid in deterring rust , I think it may end up being the worst think to use .

The zinc sacrifices itself so the base metal structure remains intact, even a motorcycle frame is no different.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/17/20 at 17:45:18

Zinc bars fixed to the hull of ships below water level lets the electralasis that is created when saltwater flows around the hull eats the zinc bars. If no zinc is present then it quickly rusts/corrodes the steel. Similar to grease worms ! They have been using zinc since they been building ships of steel. I wonder if a techno geek has figured another way , instead of using zinc bars.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/17/20 at 18:42:14

I'd wrap a board in a rag and put it against the frame and give it some goodquick raps. See if rust rattles inside.

It's not uncommon that the Uncommon solution to a problem is uncommon because it's not a good solution.

Powder coating is very popular..
Galvanizing,, not,,
Maybe you could be a trend setter.

Cathodic Protection
Cathodic Protection
Cathodic protection (CP) is a technique used to control the corrosion of a metal surface by making it the cathode of an electrochemical cell. A simple method of protection connects the metal to be protected to a more easily corroded "sacrificial metal" to act as the anode. The sacrificial metal then corrodes instead of the protected metal. For structures such as long pipelines, where passive galvanic cathodic protection is not adequate, an external DC electrical power source is used to provide sufficient current.
Cathod

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 18:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Galvanizing the entire frame?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.