Send Topic Print
Head light bulb swap (Read 86 times)
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head light bulb swap
02/07/20 at 17:15:58

Has anyone swapped out the headlight light bulb with an LED bulb, if so witch bulb?. I would like to keep original housing if I can but I added under tank LED lights ( bright white ) an would like headlight to match. Plus swapped all other lights to led.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Head light bulb swap
Reply #1 - 02/08/20 at 04:59:46

Dave did quite a bit of work in that direction and has a thread somewhere, I'm betting it's in technical, but yeah, there are options,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/08/20 at 06:58:21

I have used/tried a lot of H4 headlight bulbs in both my Savage and Ninja Cafe' bikes - unfortunately I have no experience with the stock headlight on the Savage.  Most of them should work fine in the Savage - however I recently sent Youzguyz a couple of LED's that I had used in my car and  bikes - and for some reason they would shut down when he installed them on his bike.

The Savage headlight bucket is small and crowded, it is easier to fit the lights if you can find one that has a built in driver.....and not one with a separate box.  The Cyclops bulb emits a lot of light - but it has a separate driver and a very bulky connector.

Dave wrote on 01/02/19 at 11:30:03:
Yep....unfortunately I have bought a lot of LED's looking for good ones.....and I have weeded out most of the bad.

The best affordable is the one from Superbright LED.  It is compact, bright, has a good beam pattern and is well made.

This is the one I have:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-led-bulbs/motorcycle-h4-l...

This is their newer model:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/motorc...

I spent a lot of money on a Cyclops......I am not sure it works any better or puts out any more light than the ones from Sperbright LED, and it is bulkier as it has the driver unit in with lead wire.  If your headlight bucket is sealed and gets no air flow....this one may be better as the light has a fan to move air around.
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_19...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 02/08/20 at 07:15:35

LED lighting technology is always improving. I like the lights I have (CLighting - purchased on Amazon in 2015 & 2017) in two of my motorcycles - but they aren’t even available anymore. Both use internal fans rather than heat sinks. Whatever you buy make sure that they are designed for use in motorcycles. Motorcycles have a harsh environment (vibration & shock) and constrained reflection.

Something I worry about, but have yet to experience is the effect of the significant reduction in consumed current at the regulator/rectifier. If you aren’t using the power generated, it then becomes retained heat at the r/r. This will shorten the life of that component if doesn’t get adequate airflow.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/08/20 at 18:19:43

Thank u VERRY much everyone, I will look more into it. excilent point about the not used power creating excess heat. I already drilled 2 holes in top of head light housing to add 2 toggle switches, one for high beam low beam an off, other for under tank lights on/ off. So lost some room inside already. Thanks again I'll let u guys know what I figure out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/09/20 at 03:58:38

I have converted all my lights to LED, and so far I have not had any problems with my charging system.  My bike is a Cafe' conversion and I don't ride on really long trips - most of my rides don't go for more than an hour between stops, and that might have some affect on the amount of heat that builds up.  My rectifier/regulator is mounted to a steel fender very similar to the stock mounting, and I have 12,000 miles of riding since the LED changes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 02/09/20 at 07:34:10

I personally have a distain for the mass of wires and connectors found inside the stock headlight housing . I have removed all of that except the three wires to the headlight itself.  Though the headlight bulb is protected from the weather ,the wiring and connectors are not. Removing the wires ,frees up all the space and allows maximum air flow around the bulb, and you could use an H4 bulb 100/90 watt instead of the stock H4 60/55 watt ,that would give brighter light and would work in the stock bucket much better than an LED ,for the simple reason that the stock bucket is not deep enough to properly focus most of them.
      The added power draw used by the larger H4 will have been balanced by the use of your LEDs on the rest of the bike , so over heating the rec/reg should not be a problem. If the plastic bucket seemed to run to hot you could drill a few vent holes in the rear to enhance circulation .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 20:17:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head light bulb swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.