Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baloney !  The S40, for example. (Read 79 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Baloney !  The S40, for example.
02/03/20 at 00:10:27

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Baloney !  The S40, for example.
Reply #1 - 02/03/20 at 01:34:43

Doesn't mention us, probably doesn't know S40/Savage exists, I don't care about his opinion as I can't afford sports bikes. I don't care about sport/road bikes at all.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 02/03/20 at 02:20:10

Suzuki doesn't know we, or the S40 exist!
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/03/20 at 03:58:30

The article is definitely focused on the sportbike and adventure touring market - but I do feel there is a considerable amount of truth to it. I don't see anything in the 2020 lineup that I couldn't get on the used market considerably cheaper.  Suzuki has not come out with anything new in years - the engines in most of their bikes are very old designs.  Most of what Suzuki has done for 2020 is drop motorcycles that they did not bring up to the new EU emission standards (or perhaps just weren't selling well).  Their cruiser lineup is very mediocre (except the M109), they have no touring or sport touring bikes, and no "retro" type standard bikes to offer.  The DR650 is a bike that is "comforting" in the old design, as it is lighter and simpler than the water cooled competition, and is very proven and reliable.  Similar thing for the V-Strom 650/100 and SV650 bikes - they are reliable and been around for a long time and there are lots of aftermarket products available (I really don't like the looks of the oil filter and front exhaust header poking out the front of the engine).

My current riding style has a pretty narrow focus.  I need a nice retro bike for afternoon rides and riding in the twisties (My Savage Cafe' bike serves this purpose), and a mid sized sport touring bike for covering a lot of miles (I bought a used BMW to serve that purpose).  Belt or shaft drive is nice - on new bikes this option is only available from BMW or Moto Guzzi.....and Moto Guzzi doesn't make a Sport Touring bike and BMW no longer has belt drive or makes a mid size Sport Touring bike anymore.  The nearest thing you can get to a middleweight, shaft drive Sport Touring bike is the BMW R1250RS which weighs 549 pounds - or you buy a Moto Guzzi for half the price and add luggage and a windshield like MM has done.

Yamaha no longer makes the little SR400 single - it really was a bit under powered to be a bike you could ride on the highway....however the W800 Kawasaki looks really nice if you can put up with a chain.  I know the new Royal Enfield twins are similar - but with no dealers anywhere around I would be more likely to go with the Kawasaki.  The Triumph lineup is nice as well.
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2020-W800?cm_re=CATEGORYLANDING-_-PRODUCTTH...

Not sure what the future of motorcycle sales or products will be.  There are so many good used bikes on the market, I really can't see I will be buying any "new" motorcycle from a dealer in my lifetime.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 02/03/20 at 07:24:35

IMHO the error Suzuki made was dropping the S40, and years earlier they screwed up big time, an dropped the Naked GS500 - a category they created, only to have Honda, Yamaha and kawi make better and better GS500's and essentially run away with that category. Suzuki is trying to get by without a beginner bike in the 400-650cc class - They got the 250's but 250 in the American conditions is barely enough for a small framed woman. I love small bikes (the 17GS'es and 7 savages as well as 2 MZ's and I pretty much have never owned anything bigger than what is at best medium), and I am not a big guy, but a 250 is still too small.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #5 - 02/03/20 at 16:58:59

Srianth which Mz did you have?
I had a old 250 two stroke and a saxon 500 tour.
My friend had the Saxon country.
I had wanted the silver star.

Too bad they went defunct the 1000s was a great bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 04:17:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Baloney !  The S40, for example.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.