Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2020 September Trip to Arkansas (Read 143 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
2020 September Trip to Arkansas
01/20/20 at 04:46:12

It may be just a bit early to start this thread - but the 17 degree temperature on this January day has me dreaming of summer rides.

The forum members have tentatively agreed to do the ride in September, and since August is the hottest month and I have evening meetings in the first two weeks - I suggest we pick a time period between the 17th - 30th.  Last year when my wife and I were in the area we pretty much had the campground to ourselves during the week - and the roads were not busy with tourists or RV's (there is some RV traffic on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons).  The farmers were making hay, and when we got behind a semi trailer of round bales - the driver slowed down and waved us past on the first straight section of road he came to.

We stayed at the Dogwood Springs Campground, and I really don't see any reason to look for any other place.  They have RV sites, tent sites and cabins.  Deb will be coming with me and we will be staying in a camping trailer, and we can bring the Mega Tent if some of you want to stay in the tent (electric is available at the tent sites).  They also have several different cabin arrangements.  The public bathrooms and showers were always clean - but they are made from concrete block and not all bright and shiny.

http://jasperdogwoodcabinsandrv.com/

My wife and I arrived on a Sunday and rode M/T/W/T and got rained out on F, and then we left on Saturday.  The 4 days of riding was great and we had really just got started exploring the area and learning where the good roads are.  The roads are generally more open than in TN/NC mountains, and 50mph speeds are pretty normal for the rides.  Extremely steep and tight curves occur as you are on the sides of the mountains - but once up on top the area becomes gently rolling hills.  The trip to/from Eureka Springs is about 1.5 hours and involves a lot of 4 lane riding and is a bit boring - but the town is neat once you get there and is worth the trip (if you like old buildings that are touristy and full of craft items).  Eureka Springs is an old town where folks went for the healing spring water and nice views, and the town is built on a steep hillside.  The trip to Magazine Mountain is very worthwhile and will take most of a day when combined with the ride to the Pig Trail (Arkansas version of the Tail of the Dragon).  The Pig Trail was being paved when we were there and we only got to ride the southern half before we got into construction traffic - it is a very nice ride and a lot of fun......the only downside is it takes a good hour to get to it from the campground.

Fuel is mostly available at small grocery stores that are located about 20 miles apart - but sometimes it may be 40 miles between fuel.  Downtown Jasper is about 1.5 miles from the campground and there is a great restaurant in town (and a couple that are OK).  There is a grocery store with fuel about 1/2 mile from the campground.  The roads are in good shape and are similar to what you find in TN/NC with a rough surface that provides plenty of traction and wears out tires quickly if it is really hot - don't bring tires that are nearly worn out.

So - we have 8 months to plan this trip!  We don't need to start making reservations for the campsites until a few weeks before we arrive.  This ride will be fine for bringing a date - I will have a truck at the campground that can haul up to 5 people if the wives/girlfriends want to take a day or two off and go shopping/hiking/canoeing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoMoJo
YaBB Newbies

Triple Blue Star Mom

Galena, Missouri, USA
Re: 2020 September Trip to Arkansas
Reply #1 - 02/23/20 at 12:09:14

Well there's motivation for me to get out on my bike, practice, then start putting miles on (as soon as it warms up a bit).  Hubby and I are only about 80 miles from Jasper AR.

Married to one of my Heroes (USN Ret), raised my others (Army & AF)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/23/20 at 17:00:15

I hope to make this ride, there are so many good motorcycle roads in Arkansas.

SoMoJo, it would be great to meet y’all then.  There are some really good folks who hang out here.

IP Logged
SoMoJo
YaBB Newbies

Triple Blue Star Mom

Galena, Missouri, USA
Reply #3 - 02/23/20 at 17:09:08

Lancer, yeah I'm noticing that!  Even if I'm not up to "group riding" at that point we're going to try & get down there.  Hubby does ride a great big 900lb+ monster of a bagger (hahaha), but it's comfy.  I just want more view than the back of his helmet.  It's ok, he's owned & ridden metric bikes in the past, and he's been on my Thumper too.  Found a women's group here in the Ozarks, so mentoring is available to me (yippee!).  And I know about the rides available around here - we hosted the National Rally of the Silent Service Motorcycle Club two years ago (ALL qualified submarine sailors).

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 02/23/20 at 17:47:16

SoMoJo,

Sound like you're new to riding.  Keep in mind that riding with others is much more dangerous than riding solo.  When riding alone, you have the view and use of the whole road, you decide when and where to speedup and slow down, and only need to be concerned with your actions.  When riding with others you have to be concerned with their actions, your actions, holding your line, and the pace of the group.  Simple things like avoiding a pothole become much more complicated and dangerous.  Chain reactions can happen before you know it.  This is all on top of the normal risks we face on the road.

Not trying to discourage you.  Just pointing out the extra skills required.  Personally, I find solo riding much more relaxing and enjoyable.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/23/20 at 18:35:55

I went on a ride with a few hundred others.
Seeing it made me happy I was The Last one..
I don't want to share a lane, or be tied into someone else's idea of a safe speed.
My suggestion, meet up, tell them your experience level and tag along a hundred yards behind,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/23/20 at 19:36:13

It is too early to commit 100%, but count me in.

Somojo, it is true that riding with others requires a bit more skill and that you need to ride at your own level. I learned this the hard way. Having said that, in eight months you can gather a substantial amount of experience and decide for yourself how comfortable you feel. I still like taking the rearmost position on a ride like JOG advises. I think you would enjoy meeting up with all these Savages and I doubt anybody would pressure you to ride beyond your skill level.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
SoMoJo
YaBB Newbies

Triple Blue Star Mom

Galena, Missouri, USA
Reply #7 - 02/23/20 at 20:45:58

Gentlemen - that's EXACTLY why I'm thinking we'll ride down to meet folks even if we aren't going to go riding with.  Having been out with both CVMA and SSMC groups  (riding pillion), I KNOW it's going to be some time before I want to join in a group ride.  I rode a bike several decades ago, and I plan to take all this slowly & carefully - at MY pace.  Love my Ozarks roads - plenty of places where 45mph is just perfect!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/23/20 at 21:35:39

I like the idea of bring Marcia and doing some easy ridding around some nice twistie country !    

I need to bring the V-7II to ride double on.  

SoMoJo , we have had Harley guys on rides before .    Springman's brother in law rides a Road-king and kept up just fine , on two different rides !   Heck , one time we had a Yamaha 250 that kept up with us on a Dragon Run (Big-Zuk's Son) !    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 02/24/20 at 19:34:01

Right on SoMoJo!  Heck follow along and enjoy the group.  Just be aware of the extra responsibility involved with group riding.  You get it.  A lot of people don't.   Smiley

IP Logged
SoMoJo
YaBB Newbies

Triple Blue Star Mom

Galena, Missouri, USA
Reply #10 - 02/25/20 at 04:19:22

Ohiomoto:  I did notice that you forgot to mention skunks and armadillos when you talked about watching out for potholes.   Grin  And I totally get it about groups.  I'm the one who coordinated our Sheriff's Dept assistance to get about 60 bikes out of our motel two mornings in a row - we were at a Best Western about 1/2 mile from the Silver Dollar City amusement park entrance.  Two of my kiddos (son & DIL) rode Rolling Thunder about 3 years back.  They're glad they did, but they said they probably wouldn't do it again.  I prefer a very large personal bubble around me when it comes to other vehicles (whether 2 or 4 wheeled).  Now the camaraderie of getting to meet other folks with bikes like mine - I think that's COOL!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 02/26/20 at 08:36:45

Yes, meeting like minded folks is cool and fun, especially on a Savage.
We are an interesting bunch of  characters.  🤣

We are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean & reverent.  🙏

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 02/26/20 at 09:08:02

We are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean & reverent.  

At least one of us used to be a Scoutmaster .  I suspect more than one.  Smiley

And/or

CMAUSA members , (it's just a logical place for Scouts to go when they get on two wheels).  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/26/20 at 18:58:37

I am going....and Deb is coming with me.  We will be riding double the entire time - so I don't think we will be riding at an excessively brisk pace anywhere.  The roads in the Jasper area are pretty open and easy to ride - only a few of the roads on the mountains had really tight switchbacks, and the signs give plenty of warning.

It is less challenging than the Dragon or the tight sections of Moonshiner 28, and not as open as the Cherohala Skyway.  Just rural roads with light traffic and nice scenery.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 02/26/20 at 20:34:57

Dave , That sounds like a really nice outing. !   Smiley   Just the kind of thing to wind the summer down with.  Cool

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:11:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2020 September Trip to Arkansas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.