Send Topic Print
Cam chain sawed my case (Read 80 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Cam chain sawed my case
01/13/20 at 05:48:19

I wanted to ask you guys if this is a problem.
On the bike I am trying to rebuild, the cam chain had flopped around and sawed the case and it was something that seemed to only be mildly structural, it was a pretty shallow scratch. I had a guy weld and "fill" that trench and sanded it smooth. I have had the bike running since briefly, but since the full on parts collection and rebuild is on, would it be an issue in future as in if I get it hot and cold a few 100 times ?

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cam chain sawed my case
Reply #1 - 01/13/20 at 06:39:14

It might depend on the filler used. and the location of the damage ,if the location is down in the case and not in the cylinder / head area , I'd say you don't have  to worry.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/13/20 at 07:04:12

batman wrote on 01/13/20 at 06:39:14:
It might depend on the filler used. and the location of the damage ,if the location is down in the case and not in the cylinder / head area , I'd say you don't have  to worry.

It was tig welded with whatever they use for cast aluminum, it was 10+ yrs, I forgot what its called. And the cyl is pretty high as well as lined by a steel liner, which was honed after this weld up was done, I think only the case had the cut, cyl was in affected.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/13/20 at 18:27:41

Huh?    Your terminology is puzzling , the cases contain the lower end of the motor , the cylinder is above them containing the piston and cam chain run ,where is the damage exactly?  The cylinder is subject to expansion  ,about 1.5 mm (do you have faith in your welder?) the cases are only subject to oil temperature (300F at most).  

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 01/14/20 at 02:13:00

batman wrote on 01/13/20 at 18:27:41:
Huh?    Your terminology is puzzling , the cases contain the lower end of the motor , the cylinder is above them containing the piston and cam chain run ,where is the damage exactly?  The cylinder is subject to expansion  ,about 1.5 mm (do you have faith in your welder?) the cases are only subject to oil temperature (300F at most).  

I don't believe my cyl assy was scratched up at all. So just crankcase.
I do have faith in my welder, a chunk of this crap isn't gonna fall off. But yes thermal expansion was where I was going, especially repeated cycles, it is pretty much the same cast porus material laid down by a welder, sanded to the same grittiness by me, and likely will take oil and age with the rest of it with heat cycles, but just wanted to look for any gotcha's.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/14/20 at 06:39:51

Well in that case I'd run it.