Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can bag be attached w/bungie cords to rear seat? (Read 78 times)
DesertCat

Can bag be attached w/bungie cords to rear seat?
11/26/19 at 14:08:22

Sorry.  This is sort of a dumb question since I don't have an LS650 to try this . . .

Can I sit a tool bag (about 1 cubic ft in size) on the rear seat and, using bungie cords, anchor it to the seat by routing the bungie cords over the bag and attaching to the fender on both sides?  If so, would this damage the fender or would that chrome bar/plate on each side protect the fender?  

The reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be a reasonably priced rear luggage rack.  The combo I did find comes in two parts:  back rest + rear rack.  And it costs about $300.  I really wouldn't mind spending $100, but $300 is a bit steep.

LS650-RearRack.jpg
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Can bag be attached w/bungie cords to rear sea
Reply #1 - 11/26/19 at 16:41:37

I personally wouldn't hook bungie straps under the fender. I reckon the hooks wood rub over time. I also doubt the stability of the bag on the rear seat when held down with bungies.

If you're looking for a luggage rack, like the one pictured above, you might have luck by placing a Wanted to Buy (WTB) post in the Marketplace area of this forum. You might be able to get a used one.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #2 - 11/26/19 at 16:51:49

IslandRoad wrote on 11/26/19 at 16:41:37:
I personally wouldn't hook bungie straps under the fender. I reckon the hooks wood rub over time. I also doubt the stability of the bag on the rear seat when held down with bungies.

If you're looking for a luggage rack, like the one pictured above, you might have luck by placing a Wanted to Buy (WTB) post in the Marketplace area of this forum. You might be able to get a used one.

=============================
=============================

Hey thanks.  I'll try to find a used set.

I have another alternative.  I have two other bikes that have no rear rack and when I ride those two I wear a pack with my tool bag inside.  I can always do that.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #3 - 11/26/19 at 19:16:02

I've done over 1000 miles with a bungee net, a few utility straps to adjust tension, a few more small bungees to take up any slack, all holding a large duffel with a week's supply of clothing, extra shoes, toiletries.   The bag was secure, even provided some appreciated back support.  Less than $6 at Home Depot.   Detach in a minute.   No expensive bags to have stolen off the bike.   The bungee net isn't worth stealing- I just leave it on the bike, carry the bag where I go.  Link:  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Raider-Deluxe-Black-Cargo-Net-12-142-03/203655837...

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #4 - 11/26/19 at 22:06:04

This worked for me in a pinch.

Nice backrest, too.  Grin

Basket.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 11/27/19 at 00:15:51

Well, having read the subsequent posts - I stand corrected!   Shocked

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #6 - 11/27/19 at 05:14:04

Thanks for the replies.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #7 - 11/27/19 at 06:03:02

It was not 1 cu ft and on a Savage with a sissy bar, but I took a bag meant for mounting on front forks and put it behind the sissy bar. I did have to remove the sissy bar pad to get the mounting straps around the sissy bar, but then could remount the pad.

savage_02b.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/27/19 at 06:05:49

Those OEM racks are nice.  I had one on my bike when I got it. You see those racks in the market place every once in a while.  I think I got $100 for mine when I sold it.  But yeah, $300 is crazy.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #9 - 11/28/19 at 05:12:39

ohiomoto wrote on 11/27/19 at 06:05:49:
Those OEM racks are nice.  I had one on my bike when I got it. You see those racks in the market place every once in a while.  I think I got $100 for mine when I sold it.  But yeah, $300 is crazy.

===============================

They do look nice.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can bag be attached w/bungie cords to rear seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.