Say what Barry? (Read 71 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Say what Barry?
10/31/19 at 14:50:15

Obama's comments blasting 'woke' cancel culture snubbed by broadcast networks, study finds.

Oh, he musta dropped in to the Tall Table and saw the madness exhibited by some.....   Grin Grin Grin

If viewers get their news from the broadcast networks, then they would not have known about the recent remarks former President Barack Obama made about the "woke" cancel culture that has plagued society, at least according to a new study.

The Media Research Center found that ABC News, CBS News and NBC News all ignored Obama's remarks on their signature morning and evening news programs Wednesday. Much of the coverage was dedicated to the latest developments in the ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

During a discussion at the Obama Foundation Summit held at the Illinois Institute of Technology on Tuesday, the 44th president explained that the world was more complicated than people realized, and he urged politically active Americans to be practical if they wanted to be effective.

“This idea of purity and you're never compromised and you're always politically woke, and all that stuff, you should get over that quickly,” Obama said. “The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

The blunt remarks essentially were an expanded version of a saying Obama often employed while in office -- don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The comments Tuesday showed the ex-president embracing the image of a practical elder statesman at a time when his party has been drifting ever-leftward -- essentially urging young party activists to reconsider a culture of calling out those who ran afoul of their worldviews, whether in the language they used or the policies they espoused.

Former President Obama to young people: “This idea of purity and you're never compromised and you're politically woke, and all that stuff — you should get over that quickly”

Obama goes on to slam people who engage in cancel culture and who look to create constant online outrage

Obama also suggested young people were focusing more on casting judgment on others than advancing positive change.

“One danger I see among young people, particularly on college campuses,” he continued, “I do get a sense sometimes now among certain young people -- and this is accelerated by social media – there is this sense sometimes of the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people, and that’s enough. Like, if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right or use the wrong verb, then I can feel pretty good about myself, ‘cause man, did you see how woke I was? I called you out.'

“That’s not activism. That’s not bringing about change. If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far. That’s easy to do.”  

Now that was the guy I voted for, wonder where he was for 8 years  Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Say what Barry?
Reply #1 - 11/01/19 at 12:55:15

CRICKETS.......?????

chirp, chirp.......

figgers  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 11/01/19 at 13:45:04

Did you expect, something else ?

Ever the Optimist, you are.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 11/01/19 at 14:44:26

MnSpring wrote on 11/01/19 at 13:45:04:
Did you expect, something else ?

Ever the Optimist, you are.

Dang straight buddy......

I choose my own attitude based on what I am, who I am, and the truth revealed to me by honestly seeking self....NOT, pandering for affirmation by others so I can be buoyed in the tribe of self importance, or is that, impotence......spelling never was mu strong suit   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/03/19 at 05:39:01

I'm just so shocked that he said that.

And, of course, the people who hung on his every word and fawned over him for eight LOONG years
Don't give a hotdarn about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/04/19 at 05:56:14

raydawg wrote on 11/01/19 at 12:55:15:
CRICKETS.......?????

chirp, chirp.......

figgers  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Needy much ray?

Jesus....

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #6 - 11/04/19 at 06:23:57

T And T Garage wrote on 11/04/19 at 05:56:14:
Needy much ray?

The focus isn't Obama's pitch- rather, the notion that "the media" has conspired to ignore it.   This tells us a lot about what's really important to raydawg here.   It doesn't help that he chooses to nominate Obama as "Barry", an oft adopted expression of deriders who would deny agency over the very name the President uses to identify himself.   Raydawg proffers the name Obama used in his youth, not as an adult- the equivalent of calling him "boy".

So, no, "raydawg", I don't find you sincere.   "Be the change you wish to see in others, in this world......", you said.   Sadly, you didn't mean it.

Following the quotes provided back to the source reveals there to be no "study" of anything- Fox aggrandized an opinion piece by a declared anti-liberal web page to that status without cause.  Moreover, the speech has been widely commented on- from the New York Times, to the Washington Post, the USA Today, and MSNBC, among others.   As we've come to expect from Trumplandia, on examination lies skitter underfoot like cockroaches.  The underlying conceit that reporting on the impeachment proceedings one day instead of featuring this speech by the President somehow demonstrates an unfair climate is baldly synthetic and wrong in facts.

Is that the attention you were looking for, raydawg?

« Last Edit: 11/04/19 at 07:36:30 by Mavigogun »  

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/04/19 at 09:47:22

I do agree with the sentiment.

A lot of people point out other's screw-ups and use that to say they are doing good by their community.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 08:23:37

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Say what Barry?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.