Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mikuni round slide question (Read 96 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Mikuni round slide question
10/28/19 at 18:03:07

Ive got a 38vm mounted up with quadflow wing and a UFO. When looking in through the intake side the slide doesnt sit all the way closed. How close to completely closed should it be? The idle adjustment only pushes the slide up a mm or so right at fully screwed in.

Also while youre here has anyone used velocity stacks? How do they perform?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Mikuni round slide question
Reply #1 - 10/28/19 at 19:21:39

have you tried starting it to see if it idles ? no carb runs with the throttle fully closed.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 10/28/19 at 19:43:18

All of my wiring is still on a shelf so not yet, I also can't run the stock exhaust with the new rearsets so that has to get done as well but shouldn't affect just firing it up to check idle  Tongue

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 10/29/19 at 06:39:56

ZSteele wrote on 10/28/19 at 18:03:07:
Also while youre here has anyone used velocity stacks? How do they perform?

How many "stacks" would you need on a single?

If you are looking for power, carburation isn't the place to start....or end. A different carb will improve throttle response. That should be the primary reason for a swap. Since Velocity Stack(s) are tuned (fixed length) they usually work well in just one position - usually WOT. With a highly modified engine (high compression piston, cams, ported head and the like) a carb with a larger body diameter can get you an additional horsepower or so, but at the expense of low-end torque. DragBikeMike has a great thread on this subject. He did get gains with different carbs, but his engine is modified well beyond what a reasonable person would ever undertake.

To answer your first question, if you hear a "clunk" as the slide reaches the bottom, then it's bottoming out. If you find the slide can go further down by wiggling the slide or the needle, then there is a problem - likely a bent needle.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/29/19 at 07:38:25

without a muffler ,the noise will be deafening , and I'm not sure it would even idle well without any back pressure , perhaps you should wait.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #5 - 10/29/19 at 07:49:14

Can do, plenty to get done till then. Ive got a couple emails out for quotes on a 1 off header. If they end up too expensive I'll just buy a TIG welder and do some learning. I'll post a picture of the intake side sometime today. It definitely looks too open to me but I've never worked with a round slide so  Shocked

Gary- I meant velocity stacks as in one  Tongue figured if the performance was somewhere around a cone filter it would be fine and look clean. With the electronics tray in place there isn't enough room to just slap a cone filter on. I've got a 90* bend and a cone in the mail as well so I'll try both.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #6 - 10/29/19 at 08:09:45

Bloop

1029191006_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 10/29/19 at 08:10:21

I would dial in that carb with the stock header.  That way you'll know the header isn't the problem if it's not running right.  Once you get the carb sorted, you can swap headers and adjust from there.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 10/29/19 at 08:11:27

The carb opening looks normal.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #9 - 10/29/19 at 08:11:36

Is there a good way to tune without load? To slap the stocker on I'll be right pegless...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 10/29/19 at 08:13:22

Not really,  Where did you get the carb?  Is it pre-jetted for the LS650?  If not, you'll have some work to do.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #11 - 10/29/19 at 08:21:33

Its a vm38-"9" so jetted for Harleys. With the ufo I read I need to cut jets in half anywho so I suspect I'm going to get a crash course in tuning. I plan on getting the head ported and a stage3 or dr650 cam in the future so I'm well aware of the can of worms I've opened 😬 reading material is much appreciated

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 10/29/19 at 09:35:39

ZSteele  from the picture the carb slide APPEARS to be a bit further open than what your use to seeing on the stock CV carb with it's parallel  sided opening. BUT ! as the round side closes it's area changes more rapidly by both height and WIDTH , forcing it to sit higher to present the same percentage area of opening as the stocker.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #13 - 10/29/19 at 09:42:38

Interesting and good to know! Still worried about the idle adjustment however. Maybe I can cut the spring down a bit to allow it to actually raise the slide but hopefully it won't need any adjustment there. I'll follow this up when I get the bike running!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 17:22:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni round slide question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.