Send Topic Print
Carb cleaning (Read 213 times)
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
Re: Carb cleaning
Reply #15 - 11/20/19 at 12:38:12

Really good info thanks a ton!  Lots of knowledge there.  I will try the chemical method before I start poking holes as a last resort.  I bought oem pilots from suzuki so there's no aftermarket quality issues.

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
Reply #16 - 04/02/20 at 13:39:42

Okay, super happy that my carb cleaning efforts over the winter went great!  I just put it back on after the weather warmed up, a little fresh gas, and it's running great!  At least as far as idling, and with the choke in/out, and various speeds while stationary.  Have yet to get it on the road.  Oil/filter was changed as well now that it runs properly.

Next up, another question for the experts--

The front forks seem way too soft, I suspect water has entered and contaminated the fluid, or the level is now off, or the insides are toast (one of the dust cover seals has rust) but the stanchions are very clean.

Anyway, to remove the front fork tubes, Clymers says the handlebars must come off, is that true?  It seems like I can just jack up the front, remove wheel/caliper/fender, and the tubes should just slide down after loosening the appropriate bolts.  Is there anything else to it?  I was planning on just emptying and filling the tubes with the correct amount of fluid.  If they need to be rebuilt, well that may be beyond me but first steps first.

Thanks for the help again!

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 04/02/20 at 14:10:22

During the 2nd year I had my Savage I decided I needed to check my fork fluid as part of regular maintenance.  What I found was wet tubes but virtually no measurable fluid.  I got the bike new so the factory shipped them empty and the dealer did not check them during assembly.  
Surprised the heck out of me, but it pays to check things.

IP Logged
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
Reply #18 - 04/02/20 at 14:20:14

I double checked the tech section.  It appears I can remove the tubes without removing handlebars.  The bike sat outside, so rust is literally eating the dust cover, likely the circlip(?) underneath.  Will I need to disassemble to replace the dust seals?

One other thing.  I have been reading about the special tool required to disassemble and loosen the allen on the bottom.  I don’t understand the trick in the clymers--that bolt can be loosened before the top cap is removed?  It only needs to be loosened if rebuilding correct?  Not just adding oil?

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 04/02/20 at 14:34:57

yes, remove the wheel, fender, caliper, caps and loosen the clamp and drop the tube.

to drain the fluid invert it and pump it a couple times.

I forgot whether the bottom bolt has to come out to pull the tube out.

the dust shields are just pressed in, the lower seal will require the clip to be removed and pull the tube out to get the seal out.  the seal is in there pretty tight.  it'll take several blows to come out.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 04/02/20 at 16:44:47

Pro tip: crack the top cap a 1/2 turn before you loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolt.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 04/03/20 at 12:49:48

When I bought a RYCA kit years ago it came with a piece of pipe with 2 notches cut in one end, to be used for removing the damper rod.  Most everything else comes out except the damper rod and the big Allen head bolt on the bottom of the fork.  The tool holds the inside in place so the Allen head bolt can be removed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 00:25:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.