Send Topic Print
Electrical Problem (Read 60 times)
sethw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Problem
09/26/19 at 10:07:54

My suzuki savage 1998 has been stripped bare to the bone. I took my engine off and rebuilt some stuff on it. I put the motor back on put everything exactly how it came off i know it for a fact too. It ran before i took it off.. Then out of no where the Push start button went out yea im looking to replace it but i have no clue what kind it would need. I got a 20amp one from the auto part store.... Burnt and fried the plastic on my wires lol. Any suggestions or anyone know anything about electrical work? Im no electrician but i know my mechanics somewhat👍🏻 Thanks. If you guys know of any links to get a push start button that is regulated for the starter and the battery that would be great! Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Electrical Problem
Reply #1 - 09/26/19 at 18:49:53

If you unplugged/removed  the wiring harness  , it maybe that the switches were good (they passed enough power to melt your wires) you may have hooked up the two small wires that power the starter solenoid ,in reverse ,that would cause a flow through the coil that could cause a dead short , and melted wires.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
sethw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/19 at 23:45:43

There is no wiring harness on it but the essentials it needs to run. I cant even get the darn bike to run anymore i rode it today cause i jumped it, but it died mid ride down the street dont start no more even with starter fluid. But the thing is, i need to get a new push start button what kind of button would i need what ampage? I also tried both ways, both ways burned it and smoked those wires

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 09/27/19 at 02:04:16

The start button handles low amperage.  It usually goes through a relay that will switch the big load.

I dont think you want to run wires and a switch large enough to start the stater.  If you removed the relay, I would probably find a place to put it back and use it. (If thats the case, it sounds like you gutted the system to rebuild it, correct?)

Or you can short it with a screwdriver if you really want to temporarily start it up. Not highly recommended, but does the job.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/27/19 at 06:58:39

sethw wrote on 09/26/19 at 23:45:43:
There is no wiring harness on it but the essentials it needs to run. I cant even get the darn bike to run anymore i rode it today cause i jumped it, but it died mid ride down the street dont start no more even with starter fluid.

It sounds like your charging system isn't work either. I would look for a used wire harness on ebay and start from there. It sounds like you may have created a nightmare.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/27/19 at 14:05:52

"The start button handles low amperage.  It usually goes through a relay that will switch the big load."

Spammy, that is a really great comment.  I had similar thoughts on this problem and you came up with the perfect words to explain it.  Bravo!  Smiley

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/27/19 at 16:28:45

That
Relay
Is the solenoid

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 02:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.