Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Oh No, Fire Ants
09/24/19 at 07:50:15

Man, it never ends, I was out walking my dogs Saturday night and stood in a fire ant nest. The grass was a little long in the back yard and the nest was well hidden. Must of picked up at least 40 stings on my left leg and almost as many on my right. The only good thing I have to say is at least I wasn't regimental. A little alcohol seems to help medicinally  Wink but darn they itch.
 To add insult to injury I lost the screen in my laptop, think the screen cable developed a break in the wire. Now I'm using a real bubba'd 24 inch TV screen for a monitor with a HDMI cable. Already replaced the power jack on the laptop last month, the sucker was soldered onto the motherboard and a major pain to replace, looks like I need to open it up again. At least it's just a cable this time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Oh No, Fire Ants
Reply #1 - 09/24/19 at 12:40:31

Yellow mustard , a dot on the bite or sting , helps if stinger is removed if it's a bee sting.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/24/19 at 14:47:34

I was thinking of roasting them, not eating them.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/24/19 at 14:48:30

Yeah, yellow mustard is good, unless you're mostly French, then you need
Grey Poupon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/24/19 at 15:09:54

I think you guys are just tryin' to get Ed lookin' funny.
Yellow polka dot legs...

Post us a pic, Ed... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 09/24/19 at 15:12:48

I heard if you pee on them it helps stop the itch...

Oh wait...that's jellyfish isn't it?  Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 09/24/19 at 15:30:31

I was mowing out back last year when all of a sudden i was attacked, stinging like crazy..... I thought I must have disturb a beehive in one of the big trees out back. I ran, the motor still going.....

I got into the cold shower, that helped, I had about 20 whelps on me.....

Figgered out if was biting horse flies.....

For any horsefly bite, home care includes:

not scratching the wound, as this is likely to make it worse and increase the risk of infection
cleaning the bitten skin with soap and plain warm water using a clean cloth or cotton wool
easing the pain and reducing swelling with a cold compress or ice pack held over the bite for 10 minutes
not using any other remedies aside from plain water and soap
Vinegar and bicarbonate of soda are unlikely to help.

The horsefly will also not leave behind any mouthpart or stinger when they bite people....

I dressed up with no visible skin, when back about half hour later and shut the mower down.

It was days before I went back out and moved it.

I feel your pain bro.....seems funny, but its not.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/24/19 at 15:47:25

feel your pain bro.....seems funny, but its not.

Kinda depends on what your definition of
Is
Is..
Me?
I'm kinda giggling..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 09/24/19 at 16:55:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/19 at 15:47:25:
feel your pain bro.....seems funny, but its not.

Kinda depends on what your definition of
Is
Is..
Me?
I'm kinda giggling..

May the gods be abundant with a rash, that helps you to stand........  Grin

Another true story...years ago, I was with a bunch of other folks who camped, with our boats, on a island in one of the lakes on the Colorado River....
I got stuck with bringing the skiff up the lake, from the launch area.
It had a outboard with a built in tank.....
Which needed to be refilled, to get there.
I took the cap off, the motor, and quickly dropped in into the lake...ARG.
Oh well, I filled it up.

Went to start it back up.
I was straddling the motor faced toward the stern, one leg on ether side....
I pulled on the rope, the motor came forward, tipping the fuel I just poured into it, unto my lap.....right where you don't want anything like that to go.....

The burn was instant.....

I jumped overboard, into the water, hoping to cool off and flush it off.

I pulled off my trunks, I was now nekked, and holding onto the boat in deep water.

I kid you not, a fish swam up, well.....uh, maybe it thought it might be able to help, it well, yeah, I think it tried to lick off the gasoline.... Lips Sealed

Well, I sure hope so, it was either that, or it thought it was a worm and dinner  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 09/24/19 at 19:04:26

Well at least my tidy whitey's undies kept the little $hits away from my stuff. I'm soo glad I wasn't regimental during the attack. Been out tracking down the nests and going medieval on them.

Think you got me beat Ray, taking a bath in gas and then going skinny dipping in the middle of a lake with a fish checking your junk is hilarious.

Being a hobby bee keeper with five hives I'm used to the occasional sting or two, don't think I'm going to start ant farming after this  Grin.
 JOG,it is kinda funny in a sick sort of way isn't it? Wink

If I can't laugh at myself I'll loose a lot of opportunities to get a good chuckle.

Spent the afternoon bottling up about five gallons of honey getting ready for a weekend at the local flea markets. Pulled about twelve gallons this year and built up two more hives which was my goal for the bee yard.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 09/24/19 at 19:58:48

WOW...you do honey, that is so cool.

I LOVE honey.

I saw a program on TV about it, pretty amazing stuff what they do with the bees.
How they take them down to California to pollinate the groves at a certain time of the year.
This guy had his bees stolen, if I remember, they found them later.
It also went into how imported honey is big business, where they use false documentation in giving the honey a better grade so it sells for more, etc....
And how these technicians can test the honey and find its counterfeit and not only that, they can tell where the honey originated....

It was pretty amazing. Talked about how few, and how hard it s to be a domestic honey-farmer anymore, how most being handed down for generations, its almost all gone now.....

Just one story of many, that popped up, when I Goggled fake honey  Shocked

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/11/25/142659547/relax-folks-it-real...  

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 09/26/19 at 15:44:39

Ray, thanks for the article it misses on of the main problems with China honey. China has a long history of doctoring their honey with high fructose syrups and other sugars to dilute the actual honey and increase the profit margin.
  To get around the tariffs on honey China has set up shell companies in Vietnam and other countries as well as purchasing honey processing plants in the US to help move the adulterated product. It's been going on for years.
 Buy local for honey, the stuff in the big box stores is questionable and over processed in my opinion. Wink
 Been hitting the fire ant bites with hydrogen peroxide and they are finally drying out but still itch like a mother. No pictures of the bites, they would scar you for life.
 Inspecting the hives tomorrow, getting ready for the Brazilian Pepper honey flow and setting them up for the fall.  Smiley

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 09/26/19 at 19:45:30

Yes Ed, I believe that is the program we saw on TV.
It showed cargo containers being searched, as they were held before going to be distributed.
The agents would take random samples.
They could find discrepancies from the declarations/documents of where the shipment of honey was coming from by trace amounts of pollen that are foreign to the area where they reported the honey coming from.

That would start the investigation.

They busted these guys, who were merely a front, not much more than a physical address, etc, to make it look legit.

Lots of fake honey out there, even in big chain stores.

Yes, all I buy is from local farmer markets, it taste way better anyway.

Toast and honey, for breakfast, then peanut butter and honey, for my evening treat  Grin

Maybe we can do a smoke salmon for honey swap  Wink  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:16:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh No, Fire Ants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.