Send Topic Print
Starting issues! (Read 51 times)
BoognishButters
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting issues!
09/18/19 at 08:22:08

well, I’m having some sudden starting issues with my 2001 ls650. Took a ride down to the bodega last night and at a stop light it’s timing was off and it seemed to rumble slower and slower. I was able to force it back on. Even messed with the peacock and the choke to make sure it was getting gas. I managed to get it started at the destination and let it sit for a couple minutes. Turned it off. Turned it back on again, got about two blocks before kicking it into third gear and it chugged out. Lights working, and when I hold the clutch and try to power it on, there is a repetitive clicking noise, with the speed of a machine gun, and after doing some research I figure that’s my solenoid try to go off. Well, as I would try to get it started my neutral light along with head and tail lights would grow dimmer.

Now I tried starting it this morning and now no clicks at all, lights are dim as soon as I turn the key. Finally got a look at my solenoid, and it appears there is a red wire coming out of the positive contact going into a harness that seems to be a little worn though I’m not sure this has anything to do with it.
Well I’ve already put so much money into this and need it to work. So I’m here to ask for some possible solutions that should get this done before I sink more money into it.
And before anyone asks, yes, I’ve looked at the topics on this forum but none really seemed to fit my situation specifically.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Starting issues!
Reply #1 - 09/18/19 at 09:34:12

First, make sure the connection at the solenoid is good and not rubbing or grounding out on whatever it is that is rubbing/wearing on it.

If something is grounding out (that solenoid wire?) then that could be causing the electrical system to short out killing your spark and cutting the engine out.  However, that solenoid shouldn't be getting power or be in the circuit (unless I am mistaken) unless the starter button is depressed.

The machine gun sound is typical of a low battery.  Sounds to me like maybe your battery got drained and if it is going bad or you have a loose wire anywhere that is stopping your charging system from keeping the battery charged, that is likely the culprit.  When the battery drops to maybe 10.5 volts or so, it doesn't have enough juice to spark the plug and again, if your charging system isn't doing it's job to help supply the bike power and recharge the battery, problems....

I would first test all of my battery connections.  Then check the battery to see what it reads, then recharge and verify it is has 12+ volts, then see if the bike will start. If it dies shortly thereafter, test the battery again and see what it reads.

You can also test the charging system by probing the battery leads while the bike is running. Have a helper sit on the bike and hold it upright...it is not good to let it idle on the side stand as it can't oil the engine properly on the side stand.  I am not positive, but I think the voltage you are looking for while the bike is running is maybe 14+.  Someone else that knows more about this can chime in.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #2 - 09/18/19 at 11:33:20

If you absolutely need it to run, deal with the dead/dying battery first. Throw a boost pack or something on there to ensure that the bike will start and run.

If it does run with the boost pack, take the battery out and charge it. If the battery won't hold a charge, get a new battery. If the battery will hold a charge, you've likely got a ground fault or something similar killing your bike's ability to charge the battery, like stewmills has said.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 09/18/19 at 11:39:11

Low system voltage will cause the bike to behave the way you described. Low system voltage is a result of:

1)  A battery that is defective. When a battery becomes defective it's usually not a slow death, but a sudden one
2) A failed Regulator/Rectifier. Look in the technical articles to see how to perform the R/R diode test.
3) A failed or failing stator. Look in the technical articles to see how to test the AC output of the stator. From memory I think you need each of the three legs to output more than 60 VAC at 3,000 rpm.

If all checks OK, never under estimate how sneaky a failed petcock can be.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 09/19/19 at 07:23:24

100 volts AC @ 5000 rpm -Clymer

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:01:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting issues!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.