Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Low cold idle, High hot idle (Read 295 times)
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Low cold idle, High hot idle
06/27/19 at 14:40:32

I can start the bike usually without choke when its warm outside and it will idle pretty good for about 30 seconds then it slows until it stalls. It seems to get enough fuel as I can chop the throttle without any problems but if I let go it stalls. When the bike is hot the idle seems a little high unless I am coming off of a freeway or any mild cruising speeds to a stop then it stalls if I don't hold the throttle until the idle catches up. What could this be? Plug looks fine and riding quality seems fine its just the idle. The idle itself also sounds fine it just stalls.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Low cold idle, High hot idle
Reply #1 - 06/27/19 at 14:44:50

On the warm side ounds like a lean pilot circuit. What jet do you have installed in the pilot circuit? Have you tried to adjust mixture screw?

What is the condition of the air filter? Do you have an in-line fuel filter?

It could also be a vacuum leak.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/27/19 at 14:52:42

Is your idle too slow?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/27/19 at 18:33:27

I call that normal.
I either raise the idle or hold the gas a big when cold, I.E., not warmed up.
If I drive away with the, off choke, engine idling at recommended R.P.M.s , I have to dial it back in fifteen minutes,

It's just a biggass lawnmower motor, with a carburetor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 06/27/19 at 19:36:30

I say not normal. Yes, you adjust idle for warm conditions not cold, but if the OP did that his bike wouldn’t run without throttle jockeying when cold. I always start with my choke which gives me about 1200-1500 rpm. After the bike has run about 15 seconds I remove the choke and begin my ride. By the time I make it to the end of my driveway (1/4 mile) my engine will idle at 1400 rpm.

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/28/19 at 04:48:37

Typical air-cooled engine issue.  As the engine gets hotter and hotter The A/F ratio gets lower and lower (richer) to a point.  If the engine gets very hot and/or the ambient air temperature gets very hot it will run rich.

When it's colder my idle mixture screws are further out.  When it's hotter my idle mixture screws are further in.  The rest is compensated by way of idle speed screws.

Even if your jetting is spot on one day it can be off another day.  It is always a compromise, especially with air-cooled engines...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 06/28/19 at 08:39:34

Well then I must be a carb set-up genius. All three of my bikes with carbs, and everyone I've owned before (over 25 bikes) all run exactly the same; near normal rpms with the enricher out, lower rpms with the enricher retracted (cold engine) but will still idle, and idle within 50 rpm (all season long) of where they were originally set.

WunGun, if the carb is jetted and adjusted properly, you should rarely - if ever - need to adjust the idle from cold to warm engine.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/28/19 at 09:24:51

Maybe not helpful, but I had issues with my bike stalling after I would come down a long straight run to a stop.  I ended up realizing that I had shaved the needle washer too much thus raising the needle too far, which caused a slightly rich condition at ~1/4 throttle when transitioning from running speed to idle.  The longer downhill with the bike  slowly idling to a stop allowed the vacuum to keep the slide slightly open and fuel to build up in the carb to a point it choked (flooded) the engine out. I would have have a hard time restarting it and when it finally did, I would have to get hard on the throttle to blow out all of the excess fuel in a nice little plume of smoke.  I dropped the needle back down a bit so the bike is no longer too rich at that ~1/4 throttle position (or thereabout) and it doesn't stall at idle any longer.

Your situation may be different, but that's my experience I can share.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 06/30/19 at 08:00:13

So I just checked my bike to get exact info.

Cold start, enricher out, 78 degrees, 1500 rpm
15 seconds later remove enricher, 1200 rpm
A mile or so later, stopped at intersection, 1300 rpm
After the ride, idling before shut down, 1400 rpm

That’s the way a well adjusted carb is supposed to work.

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #9 - 07/04/19 at 11:47:08

Thanks for the reply's. I will check my needle jet. I dont notice excess smoke but it does want to stall after releasing throttle from cruising. Stewmills you may be onto something. I used washers in place of shaving my white spacer so Ill remove one to slightly lean it out. Gary I don't have a tach so I ear tach it against youtube videos and my sporty at 1000 rpm's but that can be slightly difficult since they sound different. Maybe I should get one. It would also seem 1000 rpms is too low compared to yours so my high idle may actually be a more correct speed.

I appreciate everyone's input, thank you.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 07/04/19 at 16:12:18

Warm the motor ,find a level road  ,place the bike in 1st gear , throttle closed clutch released,  the bike should do 8 mph (13kph) if the idle speed is 1000 rpm. If not adjust the screw under the choke .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 07/04/19 at 18:03:49

I believe that some on the forums use an app to check rpm. Does anyone have details on that?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/04/19 at 21:57:27

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 07/05/19 at 04:26:29

WunGun wrote on 07/04/19 at 11:47:08:
Thanks for the reply's. I will check my needle jet. I dont notice excess smoke but it does want to stall after releasing throttle from cruising. Stewmills you may be onto something. I used washers in place of shaving my white spacer so Ill remove one to slightly lean it out.

Sorry I didn’t pick up on this yesterday. The needle circuit has nothing to do with idling. I would focus on cleaning the carb, especially the enrichment circuit. You never told us, what jet do you have installed in the pilot circuit and how many durns out is your mixture screw?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/05/19 at 06:25:37

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/05/19 at 04:26:29:
WunGun wrote on 07/04/19 at 11:47:08:
Thanks for the reply's. I will check my needle jet. I dont notice excess smoke but it does want to stall after releasing throttle from cruising. Stewmills you may be onto something. I used washers in place of shaving my white spacer so Ill remove one to slightly lean it out.

Sorry I didn’t pick up on this yesterday. The needle circuit has nothing to do with idling. I would focus on cleaning the carb, especially the enrichment circuit. You never told us, what jet do you have installed in the pilot circuit and how many durns out is your mixture screw?

Removing a washer on the spacer mod does not make it leaner,  it makes it richer.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low cold idle, High hot idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.