Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Ozarks
09/15/19 at 15:44:31

My wife and I just arrived in Jasper, Arkansas for a week of riding.  We left Saturday morning and are trailering the bike.  We left home around 9:30 AM on Saturday morning and stopped for the night at Poplar Bluff, Missouri at 6:30 PM their time (7:30 ours).......and camped for the night.  We arrived at our campground spot in Jasper, Arkansas at 3:30 PM on Sunday....it was 95 degrees!  We set up camp and have not yet taken the bike off the trailer - it just seems a bit too hot...but we will do that as the evening cools down a bit.

The road in was #7 and it was nice and curvy......it looks like a nice place to ride a motorcycle.

I will keep you all posted - it looks like it is going to be in the 90's the next few days.  Perhaps we will take early morning rides, then visit the caves in the heat of the day!  Maybe we can go up into the mountains and get some relief!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Ozarks
Reply #1 - 09/15/19 at 20:44:38

Hot Dog Dave , You be sure and mark those neat places in Arkansas on the GPS .
Next year me and Springman are going to need somebody to lead us around the Ozarks .   Heck , Lancer might even join in and maybe Versey too ?  
We been wanting to go ride North Arkansas for a few years now.  
And now your there checking it out.   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/16/19 at 04:54:23

The weird part about my GPS.....is I drove off the edge!

On the way out we tried to program Jasper into GPS....it churned on it a while and then gave a message "Cannot calculate route".  We tried a couple of times - and finally I got the idea that maybe Arkansas was not in the map memory.  We calculated the route using a map and just let the Garmin show us the map of where we were driving without a planned route.....it helped us to see what roads were coming up so we could see when we needed to turn.  The funny part was when we got to the Illinois/Missouri state line.....and as we crossed into Missouri the screen just went white!  It would show the road we were on - but no features or other roads.....just a straight line down the screen on a white background!

The good news is the Garmin on the motorcycle has a larger memory and works just fine.....the other one has a smaller memory and only has the southeast 48 states loaded.

In Missouri there was a lot of cropland and harvest was in full swing.  There was a lot of dust being kicked up by the semi trucks driving down the local dirt roads hauling grain to the silos, dust from the combines, and even more dust from the folks who had already harvested and were discing the plowed fields.  There were huge black clouds of smoke in several areas rising into the sky......seems they burn off the stubble in the fields before plowing/discing - we never saw a fire up close but we did see some black fields that had not yet been plowed.  

When it cooled down last night we road from the campground into Jasper which is just 1.5 miles away, and it is a very small town with several good looking restaurants.  We ate at the Ozark Cafe which was established in 1909, and I had a wonderful Pork Tenderloin sandwich.  We road up route 7 for about 5 miles, and it is very similar to the roads in north Georgia - not as tight of curves as the Tail of the Dragon but not as open as the Cherohala Skyway.  This campground has cabins.....I will find out a bit more about them.

We have a small motorcycle route pamphlet that lists several loop rides.  The shortest is 1.5 hours with 316 scenic curves, there are several that are around 3 hours long with 350-600 curves, and the longest is 5 hours with 840 curves.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/16/19 at 10:40:01

Sounds good. Like MM said, I have been wanting to ride Arkansas for some time now. I think a week of riding in Arkansas would be fun and at the moment I see nothing keeping me from taking a week of vacation for just that purpose most any time next year. Yes, all the issues have been sorted out with our new building and we should be in it within the next 30 days or so.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 09/16/19 at 12:37:05

My AF son is going to in a Resort in South Korea next year , so there woin't be no Driving to Texas 5 times next year .   Not that I didn't enjoy every trip , but it left no time for going other places.

So as soon as the mountains warm-up from their Winter Nap , I'm ready to "Go see the Ozarks" .

Simple math , 5 hour loop with 600 curves = 2 per minute average = FUN RIDE.   Smiley
That's with out the bonus 240 curves extra !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/16/19 at 14:52:47

Deb and I got back from our first ride.  We did the Ozark Moonshine which is listed as 662 curves and 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The ride was very similar to the rural roads in north Georgia - the mountain views are not as frequent as they are in the Blue Ridge.....and often you can't tell that you are riding along the top of the mountain - but at one point we got on a ridge that was no more then 60 feet wide with the mountain falling away on both sides, and the road even very narrow through this section. The ride today have some very rural sections and it is a long way between fuel stops.  Some of the town names on the map that I used for routing are no more than names......there is no town!

The traffic was incredibly light and the roads are in good shape.  The roads are curvy - there was one section on 374 (or 7) south of Jasper that was incredibly tight.....similar to Wolf Pen Gap in Suches, GA.

Tomorrow I believe we will do the Eureka Springs Backroads Route.....571 mile and 3 hours ride time.  This route includes the Pig Trail - which is supposed to be a really good 24 mile road, and it includes Eureka Springs for a good shopping stop......we might take a small detour and eat Bar-B-Que at Sugar Boogers!

I will get information on the cabins here at Dogwoods Springs RV park - they have several different sizes. The place is an older campground and not very posh - but it is convenient and the folks running it are nice.  The mosquitos are really small in size - but are numerous and very hungry and they show up if you stay still for any length of time.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/16/19 at 15:11:23

Dave, I can't ride that fast. 571 miles in 3 hours is just a bit much for me! Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 09/16/19 at 15:15:33

Yea,

''571 mile and 3 hours ride time''

I hope Deb is hanging on!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/16/19 at 15:19:33

How long did it take to get the duct tape off?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/16/19 at 19:00:44

Oooooops!

571 curves in 3 hours.  The maps are a bit weird....they don't list mileage and instead list time.

We went for a swim in the pool as it was 94 degrees when we got back home.  Then we went for an evening ride to watch the sunset, and we stopped at a small Baptist Church parking lot that had a view, and a farmer was mowing hay.  He made a lap and then came over to talk to us.....his name was Tony Taylor, he was a sixth generation farmer on the property and said he had been watching that sunset for 62 years......and he was the minister in the church!

We looked through some of the cabins before we left.....they look pretty nice.  The largest has a bed downstairs with one that pulls out from underneath, and two beds upstairs.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/16/19 at 19:19:16

Sounds like a place to visit.
http://jasperdogwoodcabinsandrv.com/

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 09/16/19 at 19:27:22

Did ya get a $$$ on the cabins , and how is the camp-sites ?

I should go check their web-site ...  Roll Eyes

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/17/19 at 05:18:27

Versy posted a link.......the cabins looked pretty nice inside.  Some have showers and bath, while the small ones don't.  They also have tent sites with electric hookups....I saw some rental foam pads in the office.

This campground is very similar to the Kickstand Lodge.......it is a bit worn down and could use a makeover - the showers are functional but the bathhouse at KSL are far cleaner and fresher looking.  The showers in the cabins are far nicer than the concrete block showers in the bath house.

There is a restaurant called the Cliff House that has a wonderful view and hotel rooms - the parking lot is right next to the road and there is no covered parking of any kind.  They also have cabins.
http://www.cliffhouseinnar.com/

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/17/19 at 17:00:13

We had a good ride today......we did the Eureka Springs route.  There was a lot of 4 lane road from Harrison to Eureka Springs....but it was OK.  The town of Eureka Springs was a Victorian era place where there are a lot of springs and folks came to be healed by bathing and drinking the waters.  It is now a Pigeon Forge type town - but a bit classier and a bit less crowded in this off season.

When we left we were looking forward to riding on AR 23....the famous Pig Trail - but we found it pretty uninspiring and it was just a mildly curvy road through some farmland.  I believe that the tour guide route description was a bit misleading......AR23 is the Pig Trail - but the good riding part is farther south.

We did have some real excitement as we "tagged" a deer!  Around 3:30PM we were doing about 55 mph and I saw a single deer standing on the right side of the road at the edge of the woods.....about 100 feet off the edge off the road.  Just as soon as I made eye contact - he bolted out in front of us!  I got on the brakes hard as I could....and just as he ran in front of us and disappeared from view beneath the fairing/windscreen - I felt a small bump.  I am pretty sure I just tagged the back of his hooves with my front tire - there was no hair or marks of any kind on the bike, and no stains in my shorts!  If the deer had been just a millisecond slower, there would have been 3 bodies and a motorcycle sliding down the highway!

Tomorrow we are going down Route 7 to Mount Magazine, then back up on AR23 (the real Pig Trail portion).

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 09/17/19 at 18:40:46

Its been my experience they react to a horn blow without delay.   Their legs go off like springs as the sound hits their ears without any time laps in between .    Its like you can be in-charge of making them jump. ...
Now which way they jump ... I'm not even sure the deer are in charge of that .   Grin

I'm glad it was only a close one.   Ya , know we're not really in charge as much as we like to think we are.   I suspect the good Lord has a few more chores for you to do , weather Satan tries to take you out or not.   Wink  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 06:59:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ozarks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.