Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Ozarks
Reply #15 - 09/18/19 at 17:30:29

Today we had a really nice ride.  We went down AR 7 to Russelville, then across 40 and went west to get on Route 309 that crosses over Magazine Mountain, at 2567' or somewhere thereabouts it is the highest mountain in the area.  The road up was a narrow two lane road that was not real steep or curvy by Blue Ridge standards - but it was a good road and fun ride.  The view up top is really nice, as was the lodge were we ate lunch.  I didn't hit any deer - but I did have a bit of a close call.  It was up into the 90's on in the valley areas and I had my visor cracked open to get some air flow.....I had the chin curtain on to keep the wind from making noises into the microphone.  I had a bug hit the helmet/visor hard and come inside my helmet, and the chin curtain didn't let it drop out.  I didn't worry about it too much as an earlier incident like this was just a Ladybug.  After a couple of minutes the bug started crawling around by my chin, so I decided to stop and get my helmet off ASAP.  By the time I got stopped....he was flying around between my face and visor.....and when I got my helmet off and looked inside - there was a white/black Bald Faced Hornet looking back at me from inside my helmet!  I let him out, and then we resumed our trip.

After Magazine Mountain we headed north and rode AR23 north of Route 40, which is the real Pigs Trail.  The first 12 miles was really nice - it is curvy and wooded and reminded me a lot of the section of 28 that is just south of Deals Gap.  It was freshly paved and had a fresh gravel berm....which unfortunately is what was going on for the north 12 miles of the ride - they were installing the gravel berm!  They had the road blocked down to a single lane for a portion....and we ended up waiting behind several cars, 2 semi's and a tandem axle dump truck full of gravel for our turn to go into the single lane.  The trucks definitely slowed our progress and they kicked up a lot of dust from the fresh gravel berm.

Once we got away from the construction zone and the semi trucks were gone and we resumed our 60mph cruise.....we spotted a Bobcat run across the road in front of us......cool!

Later we went past the area where we had the deer encounter the day before, and I saw that the brush was only about 20 feet from the edge of the pavement in that area.....so I only had about 28 feet of notice the deer was headed my way - no wonder I had so little time to react.

The riding here is a bit different than I expected.  The speed limit is 55mph on these roads as long as you are not in a town or school zone, and most curves are easily taken at the speed limit.  When we left the campground this morning and got on AR7 - we probably went 40 miles before we came to a town with a STOP sign.  The riding here covers more miles in less time than is possible in the Blue Ridge area - but the curves are also a bit more open and nobody is going to be dragging pegs on most of the curves....there are a few local roads that are very challenging as they go up/down the mountains - but that lasts for a very short distance and does not go on for 13 miles like it does on Moonshiner 28 south of the Highlands.  So far I have not seen any Sport bikes or even other Sport Touring bikes - most motorcycles are Harley or other big V-twins, Honda Goldwing in both 2 and 3 wheel versions, and a few Can Am 3 wheelers.

Would I come back to the Ozarks to ride? Absolutely!  The roads are fun, the scenery is great, the lodging and food is very affordable, the folks are extremely nice and are very down to earth and pleasant people.  The riding can be done with little or no worry about getting a speeding ticket, there is extremely little traffic on the local roads, the roads are in pretty good shape, the scenery is great, and there are very few tourists here this time of year (Evidently the area has a lot of kayaking and canoeing in the spring when the rivers are flowing high).  I asked a local woman about the weather - she believes that the wet weather goes away by the end of June in normal years.....we would have to confirm this before we schedule a group trip.

These cabins appear to be a bit nicer and can sleep up to 6 people in 2 of them......4 in the other one.  This is about 6 miles south of Jasper and right on Route 7, and they have a great view of the sunset each evening....or run across the road and down to the restaurant to see the sunrise each morning!
http://www.cliffhouseinnar.com/cabins/

« Last Edit: 09/18/19 at 18:38:40 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 09/19/19 at 07:59:43

Dave ,

These ride reports are making me DRULL .   Keep them rolling in and I'll just fetch a bigger bucket to keep the mess down best I can !    Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 09/19/19 at 12:54:23

Deb and I just got back from a really nice ride......it is a loop that had some really nice curves and hills, and it turns out that we rode a portion of 123 that is known as the "Arkansas Dragon"!  It is not as condensed as the TN/NC Dragon - but still a very nice ride and well worth doing.....most of the curves allow for 50mph cornering.  We did have some riding today that involved 1st or 2nd gear corners!

We did not encounter any rain on the 2 day drive down here, and the last 4 days have been dry - but there is a 60% chance of rain tomorrow and the skies are already clouded up.  Around 6:00 PM we are going out to an area where Elk are supposed to gather- maybe we will get lucky enough to see some Elk....the really hot weather may keep them from coming out into the meadow today - we will just have to wait and see.

I rode up to the 3 cabins I linked earlier - the road up is gravel that is a bit loose, but I had no problem getting up/down with the bike riding double.......I believe nobody in our group would find it impassible or overly scary.  These cabins appear to be really good for keeping us together as a group.....and the 6 mile ride into town is a great ride!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 09/19/19 at 19:50:25

.and the 6 mile ride into town is a great ride!  

Makes me think of Suches Ga. and the ride to town.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 09/20/19 at 05:20:00

Last night around dinner time a light sprinkle showed up, so we took the car to dinner, then went to look at the Elk herd that shows up in a local field every night.  There were about 30 females, a big bull and a couple smaller bulls.  It was evident the bulls were challenging each other and jockeying for the dominant status.  A local fellow said there was a bigger bull down the road, and he just lets the smaller bulls waste their time and he moves in around October and becomes the boss.

The monthly weather looks like we could travel to the Jasper area early or late in the year....when riding is not really suitable in TN/NC, and there appears to be only 10 days of rain in their wettest month of May.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jasper+arkansas+weather+yearly&rlz=1C1GCEU_en...

Our ride today will likely be very short....rain is going to move in around noon.  We will likely load up the bike before noon - then go for a visit to one of the local caves.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 09/21/19 at 05:32:29

Yesterday (Friday) was our last full day here, and the weather forecast was for rain to arrive around noon.  We were able to squeeze in a 50 mile ride in the morning at got home around 11.....we headed south and up into the mountains and found a sprinkle had started, so we turned back north and dropped down in elevation and stayed dry the rest of the ride.

When we got home we started packing things up that were best packed in the dry....and just before noon a light rain arrived.  The sandy gravel in the campground really tracks a lot of sand indoors when it is wet.

We then took the car and visited the local cave...unfortunately it was unguarded back in the 1930's  and locals broke off the stalactites and sold them to tourists - the cave is still fun to visit but looking at the vandalism is a bit depressing.  We then went downtown and got a pizza, came home and finished packing.

The weather is dry and will be for the next 2 days, showers return on Monday in the area and hang around for 2-3 days.  We had a great trip and got in a lot of good riding, these roads and scenery are definitely worth a visit.  There is also good hiking available, and the rivers offer good kayaking/canoeing in the late fall and spring when the rivers have more water......we have been told that we came at a really good time for riding, as kids are in school and the larger biker groups are not here in abundance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 02:08:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ozarks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.