Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lectron Gen II 4-Stroke Carb Review (Read 127 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Lectron Gen II 4-Stroke Carb Review
09/05/19 at 15:10:04

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/lectron-gen-ii-4-stroke-carb-review

So I read this and it sounds wonderful. Then I searched and searched and read all sorts of other completely subjective right ups and reviews but was unable to find any sort of objective tests or dyno results anywhere.

Anyone know where to find some real world numbers for this carb?
Anyone running one?

Seems they have a Savage kit...
https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/4strokes/suzuki-savage-4-stroke-kits.html

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Lectron Gen II 4-Stroke Carb Review
Reply #1 - 09/06/19 at 05:22:32

Mike:

Lectron carbs have been around for a very long time - I can remember going to their Hotel Suite for a party when the Motorcycle dealer convention was held in Cincinnati back in the late 70's.

The Lectron carbs have never caught on for some reason.....they stay in business and still make carbs - but they have always been a small company and have not been used in large numbers.  I remember reading a review not long ago and the fellow stated the carbs were cheaply built and the float bowl was held on by self tapping screws......the carb body was not threaded for normal screws.

That review you posted sounds promising.......perhaps they would work fine on the Savage?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 09/06/19 at 05:49:50

One of our members has been selling parts and complete motors on which he used the Lectron carb.  Don't know if he still is doing so, and haven’t seen him here in quite some time.
I’ve read about them for years and performance wise they seem to perform very well.  It is my understanding that functionally they are like the Edlebrock Quicksilver.   Seems like years ago there may have been a legal issue over patents with Edlebrock.
I don’t remember whether they have an accelerator pump.  They are on expensive side.

I have not handled one so cannot comment on there machining of the unit.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 09/06/19 at 07:11:05

Dave wrote on 09/06/19 at 05:22:32:
Mike:

Lectron carbs have been around for a very long time - I can remember going to their Hotel Suite for a party when the Motorcycle dealer convention was held in Cincinnati back in the late 70's.

The Lectron carbs have never caught on for some reason.....they stay in business and still make carbs - but they have always been a small company and have not been used in large numbers.  I remember reading a review not long ago and the fellow stated the carbs were cheaply built and the float bowl was held on by self tapping screws......the carb body was not threaded for normal screws.

That review you posted sounds promising.......perhaps they would work fine on the Savage?

Hotel party in the 70s? They weren't using their carbs for water bongs were they?  Cheesy

Regarding the build quality I found a couple random reports by people using these carbs saying the construction was top notch. Almost no gripes about the physical durability. Apparently installation is a breeze too since the carbs are supplied preconfigured for your application. This in particular got my attention.

I still have to wonder why they haven't caught on though they do seem popular with the 2 stroke enduro crowd from my searches.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 09/06/19 at 07:23:42

LANCER wrote on 09/06/19 at 05:49:50:
One of our members has been selling parts and complete motors on which he used the Lectron carb.  Don't know if he still is doing so, and haven’t seen him here in quite some time.
I’ve read about them for years and performance wise they seem to perform very well.  It is my understanding that functionally they are like the Edlebrock Quicksilver.   Seems like years ago there may have been a legal issue over patents with Edlebrock.
I don’t remember whether they have an accelerator pump.  They are on expensive side.

I have not handled one so cannot comment on there machining of the unit.

I read that they do have a separate high speed circuit. Maybe it takes the place of an accelerator pump?

Is Edelbrock still around?

One aspect of the Lectron that catches my fancy is the automatic temperature compensation feature. If it works as others have reported elsewhere it could be a real help for my Thumpy where lower temperatures have an adverse effect on performance. Especially when it gets down to the low 30s where I get stalling at stops and reluctance to idle normally.

I know I said I would stop riding this bike during the winter but the way things are playing out my plans for a FI dual sport for winter riding aren't gonna be realized until Spring time thanks to expensive kitchen project. darn kitchen is killing me....

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/19 at 09:58:18

I ride my bike to work down into the mid/low 30s and other than keeping the choke partially pulled a little longer I don't have any issues with it's idle.  Maybe your idle speed is set a little low???

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 09/06/19 at 12:25:22

I haven't ridden in the 30's since I was in my 30's.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 09/06/19 at 12:32:35

Any idea what size that carburetor is?

I have a hard time swingin a leg over mine when the ambient dips into the fifties.  It's an old-age thing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 09/06/19 at 13:44:36

ohiomoto wrote on 09/06/19 at 09:58:18:
I ride my bike to work down into the mid/low 30s and other than keeping the choke partially pulled a little longer I don't have any issues with it's idle.  Maybe your idle speed is set a little low???

Don't think it's idle speed. It's roughly the same as my neighbors factory stock Savage.
My bike idles good until about 33 degrees and lower. Then it idles rough and frequently stalls.
Then there's the no power gap just before 1/4 throttle. It makes riding in 30 mph traffic a PITA.

But with winters that are on average in the high 20s to low 40s I find myself unable to ride Thumpy in the mornings or evenings.,

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 09/06/19 at 13:51:14

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/06/19 at 12:32:35:
Any idea what size that carburetor is?

I have a hard time swingin a leg over mine when the ambient dips into the fifties.  It's an old-age thing.

The site doesn't mention the size for the Savage kit. Searching around I found an old thread here from several years ago where 38mm is mentioned.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1428589068

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 09/07/19 at 16:06:20

Philthymike , You should try to run 90 pure gas in the winter, not because you need the Octane , but because there's no alcohol , which absorbs water, that water may be retained in the bottom of the float bowl and may freeze ,and limit the float movement or even crush the floats,if the bike sees sub freezing temperatures .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 09/07/19 at 18:50:21

I put in drygas in the winter.
And before you ask I have tested to see if it's the cause of the bad idle and it's not.

But now that you mention it I do have a marina nearby. I think I'll try gas from there this winter. I honestly can't say if the drygas helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:30:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lectron Gen II 4-Stroke Carb Review

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.