SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: Panamerica anybody?
Reply #15 - 08/26/19 at 17:09:46

raydawg wrote on 08/26/19 at 16:20:23:
Anybody know who they are marketing to?

My first thought was kids.

The same kids who live in their parents basement.

A Transformer motorcycle that turns into, what?  Undecided

You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKqpvriKZuA

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/27/19 at 17:00:18

This thing looks ridiculous!  

I like Harley, even considered buying a 1200 before I bought my S40.  Some consider the Sportster line to be made for the fairer sex (supposedly the Savage/ S40 are too.)  I consider Sporty's and the Savage/S40 to be "heritage" bikes.

I don't know what this is.  No one is going to by this.

Harley needs to get a grip.

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 08/27/19 at 20:02:54

When I rode down to the MotoAmerica Road races at Pittsburgh Raceway two years ago I was astonished at the number of big ADV bikes in the motorcycle parking lot.  BMWs Ducatis, and  KTM v-twins mostly. Most of them sported hard luggage and almost none of them looked like they had ever spent any time in the dirt. Off road pretensions notwithstanding, these things are touring bikes for the most part I believe. Put some bags on that Harley and it would fit right in.

I honestly think Harley might just sell a few of these.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder of course, and I for one think that all of the big ADV bikes are pretty ugly. The Panamerica isn't any worse than any of the others IMO and if it's built to the same fit and finish standard as HDs other top tier bikes it will probably look pretty nice up close.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/28/19 at 05:47:07

I see where oldNslow is going and I agree except I think the average Harley customer will cringe and the current ADV customer will laugh at it.  

« Last Edit: 09/03/19 at 07:18:46 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 08/28/19 at 06:54:50

It's kinda like someone getting all into disco in 1980. They missed the bus.
Earlier before taste and experience raised expectations and ADV guys were buying anything labelled Adventurous they might have had a shot.
HD shoulda made a lightweight scrambler instead. The trend is towards lighter now...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 08/28/19 at 07:45:27

Quote:
The trend is towards lighter now...

Depends on what you are after I think. For an actual dirt bike, sure, lighter is better.
But the best selling Big ADV bike by a pretty wide margin is the BMW GS series. Curb weight right around 600 pounds. That's what the Panamerica will be competing with. I expect that the Harley will probably weigh about the same.

I don't think many of these bikes are ripping down single tracks in the woods, especially wearing those gigantic aluminum panniers that are on a lot of them.  They are made for long distance travel in places where the roads are really shi**y but they are still roads. We've got some stretches of expressway up here in Western NY that fit that description  Cheesy

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 08/28/19 at 09:51:08

Most of the roads in PA fit that description!

I've seen alot of buzz about the new midsize ADV bikes lately - ones under 1K cc.
Yamaha, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Ducati and Triumph have been competing in this class with lots of fanfare from the ADV riders that no longer want to pick up dirt napping 1200s anymore.
That and anything scrambler like seems wildly popular.

Given Ducatis success with its scrambler line and taking the dirt track wins from HOG it just seemed a natural choice for them to go after that market and try to win back their former glory.
That would have been an interesting competition to watch. Especially considering the lost face to the Diavel vs Vrod standoff.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 08/28/19 at 10:13:05

raydawg wrote on 08/26/19 at 16:20:23:
Anybody know who they are marketing to?

Overweight geriatrics that wear leather but not helmets and and still lean to steer and use only the rear brake because front brakes are dangerous....
Maybe?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #23 - 08/29/19 at 16:40:27

batman wrote on 08/26/19 at 08:12:08:
A passenger seat off road ?  Are you really going to ride double in the ruff stuff ? Is that a  muffler or a bazooka?

I figured it out. That's not the muffler it's the booster rocket motor. When stopped it ignites and adds enough thrust until there's enough momentum for the engine to power the bike on its own. Then it separates and falls back to earth. Just like the space shuttle boosters.

IP Logged
UglyBrute
YaBB Newbies

Yeet.

Detroit
Reply #24 - 09/02/19 at 11:56:53

"Millennial" checking in here. Currently looking at ADV bikes. I think the PanAmerica looks great, but Harley doesn't seem to understand the price range for my demographic. I don't need to pay the Harley tax along with student loans.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 09/02/19 at 19:37:23

Ah yes , Harley tastes on a Savage budget ! Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/03/19 at 07:19:47

UglyBrute wrote on 09/02/19 at 11:56:53:
"Millennial" checking in here. Currently looking at ADV bikes. I think the PanAmerica looks great...
---------------------

What is wrong with you kids!!!   Grin

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/04/19 at 04:54:43

Harley doesn't sell motorcycles...it sells "a lifestyle."  That's why I bought a Suzuki, I already have a lifestyle.  I know they are trying to market to the next generation, but my God!!  They can't hardly sell any more Road Kings, etc. because everyone who wants one already has one.  And really, who the  hell can afford one.  I could if I wanted one, but would have to make payments.  No thanks, I probably have more fun on my humble S40, anyway.  

I like Harley and respect what they are trying to do.  I would like to see them make smaller displacement bikes, like they used to, but still keep the Harley attitude.  Perhaps, make dirt bikes again!

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:23:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Panamerica anybody?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.