Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to locate OEM parts online (Read 66 times)
MagicTwanger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How to locate OEM parts online
08/15/19 at 23:15:24

Does it fit?
I have a 2014 S40 that needs some OEM parts.  I have noticed that online motorcycle parts websites, such as PartZila, often cut off the fitment calendar range at 2009.  Are basic parts, such as turn signals, likely to fit later models?  I took a chance on a steering lock key blank, and the 2009 did not fit my 2014.
Undecided

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How to locate OEM parts online
Reply #1 - 08/16/19 at 04:16:47

Key blanks are not the same from year to year, and are even different in the same year.  You have to get a blank that matches what you have on the bike.

The 2004 year had a major change to the electrical system which added a flash to pass switch, emergency flashers and changed the wiring harness accordingly.  I can't think of any other changes after that that would affect the bike....other than paint color and the recent change from the chrome trim to black.

I get my online parts from Bike Bandit.  Most online retailers don't keep the parts in stock - when you order them they then get them from Suzuki and forward them to you.....so they all have a similar delay in shipping the parts to you.  With things like tires and clothing they are often shipped to you from the closest warehouse that has them in stock.....the online retailer never had the stuff in their inventory.  (NOTE:  When you get tires check the manufacturing date to make sure the tire is not more than a year old....if it is 2 years old I would ask them to send you a fresher one.  The seller will most likely back you up and get you a fresh tire.....they never see the tire the warehouse ships to you).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/16/19 at 07:04:29

On the steering lock key, if you have a good local locksmith they can help. I had my key, but when we went looking for blanks the one they found that fit was what they referred to as a forklift key, ILCO brand, which is a common aftermarket key blank. Your blank rail pattern may be different than mine so telling you what I used may be of no help, but if you take the bike to a good locksmith WITH proof of ownership they can dig through their blanks and find one that fits, then step 2 is determining the cut pattern, which they have tools to do.  All said from my experience this could end up being a $50 key, so you decide.  When I first got my bike I used the steering lock, but like most, rarely ever use it anymore. If someone wants to steal the bike, that is a tad of a deterrent but not going to stop a determined thief.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MagicTwanger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/16/19 at 09:44:45

Thanks for the reply. I have located a good locksmith, thanks to my local Suzuki dealer, who doesn’t deal with key blanks. I called them and they told me they had five different blanks associated with my year motorcycle. Going there today to see what they can do. I don’t often use the steering lock either, but having a second complete set of keys is worth the effort to me.

Any tips as to parts that are likely to fit most S4 years, versus parts that have changed more often (such as shiny do dads that change each year just because)? Is there any online reference for looking at the same parts list that the dealer parts guy uses?

IP Logged
MagicTwanger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/16/19 at 10:10:03

Thanks Dave, that’s interesting that they all just serve as pass-through agents to Suzuki Central. For OEM parts the only difference must be their margin. From what you said I take it that most mechanical parts, at least after 2005 or so, will fit later years. The rear turn signals that PartZilla lists as fitting up to 2009 would probably fit my 2014? I have not ordered yet, so I will also check a few other online dealers.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/16/19 at 11:44:28

MagicTwanger wrote on 08/16/19 at 09:44:45:
I don’t often use the steering lock either, but having a second complete set of keys is worth the effort to me.

Agreed. First thing I do with anything I buy that has keys is go buy at least one new spare set and lock them in the safe with a tag.  Also, I usually get two sets, and what I do with the second is tape it somewhere on the machine discretely with electrical tape for that "oh crap I lost my keys while away from home" situation. On my bikes, I usually remove a tail light lens cap with the phillips screws and tape a key inside the lens bucket. It can't be seen or accidentally found and all you need in an emergency is a philips screwdriver (or a big rock) and you're on the road again.

Don't get any ideas wise guys...My bikes are locked and stored inside and under camera surveillance  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 08/16/19 at 17:15:16

Got it , bring my extra large bolt cutters and wear a JOG mask ! Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/17/19 at 07:51:16

Locks  only keep the good people out!   Two guys can pick up your bike and toss it in the back of a van or a pickup in a minute, but people like these are to busy stealing HD's, there's not much demand for our bikes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 14:40:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to locate OEM parts online

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.