Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Anti-tyranny Amendment (Read 119 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Anti-tyranny Amendment
08/13/19 at 05:19:30

Eegore and I have gone back and forth on the topic of what would happen if the government decide to take on its citizens. But it's gotten lost in another thread. So here's a new one.

The original intent of the 2nd Amendment was to ensure citizens we're armed with personal firearms in order to act as a militia. And as a militia, the possibility existed that they would in fact be asked to fight against their own government.

As time has gone on, we've evolved in the way in which we define the words in the Amendments and Constitution. The classic case is defining the right to privacy which was the basis for the abortion decision, but there are certainly others.

Some are saying that the weapon technology of the modern US military makes the idea of an armed citizenry taking a stand against them an impossibility. Therefore, the guarantees of firearm ownership are practically speaking negated. Also, some would argue the word 'militia' in the amendment throws yet another monkey wrench into the mix.

I think that's a weaker argument. For now, let's focus on the first topic which is could a citizenry armed with commercially available weapons, fend off our government if it decided for whatever reason to turn our military on us. (also, for the purposes of this, set aside the possibility we are over run by a foreign invading force and our military has been routed)

Could an armed citizenry make a stand against the US military?

NOTE: let's lay off the personal attacks. We can do that in plenty of other threads. Also, no posting published articles of great length. Use your own experiences and understanding to answer.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: The Anti-tyranny Amendment
Reply #1 - 08/13/19 at 08:37:13

Nicely summarized.

Honestly, it's hard to envision how our own government would take on it's own citizens.
I can see a small uprising against the government,.. which would obviously be quelled by our military if local police couldn't handle it.
But on a national scale,.. votes are more powerful than guns.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/13/19 at 08:55:05

Its a much, much different situation, but take a look at Hong Kong right now.

It seems hard to imagine, but pretend. What if an administration 12 or 16 years from now began taking those steps. They interfered with election, local law enforcement and various other steps. Pretend things got bad, really bad. Pretend the left and right banded together and began protesting. It was growing and the government responded harshly. Things got out of control and boom.......

Could an armed citizenry with commercially available weapons somehow fight back?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/13/19 at 09:50:44

Besides Waco, Ruby Ridge, Wounded Knee and the like, standoffs with the Government won't fair well.  However, were the Government is met with overwhelming resistance such as the Bundy Ranch standoff, the Gov's can suddenly be reasonable.  But I don't think that will happen again.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/13/19 at 10:01:10

"It was growing and the government responded harshly."

What limits, if any, are imposed on the resources available to the US Government CENTCOM?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/19 at 10:06:49

I personally think that the idea of a "Well regulated Militia" in this day and age is nonsensical.

As Sero pointed out, the greatest power of the average citizen is the vote, not the gun - IMHO.

The fight against "tyranny" in today's America is done by grassroots movements like the Suffrage Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the ERA, the LGBT movement, etc.

None of those people ever raised a gun against the government, yet they changed the very core of our Country.

Again, I'm not saying that the Second Amendment isn't important, and I think it should remain, but like the Eighteenth and Twenty-First - change is indeed possible in this country.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/19 at 10:11:10

WebsterMark wrote on 08/13/19 at 08:55:05:
Its a much, much different situation, but take a look at Hong Kong right now.

It seems hard to imagine, but pretend. What if an administration 12 or 16 years from now began taking those steps. They interfered with election, local law enforcement and various other steps. Pretend things got bad, really bad. Pretend the left and right banded together and began protesting. It was growing and the government responded harshly. Things got out of control and boom.......

Could an armed citizenry with commercially available weapons somehow fight back?

Honestly - no.

The world where millions would ban together and fight against some sort of tyrannical government is fictional.

It makes for great movie plots, but that's about it.

I'll bring up the whole bundy militia thing again.  Here was a group of people who had a lot of power in that area of the country.  Even with that, they couldn't muster up much support.

I think that's what you'd see all over.  Apathy, not unity.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/13/19 at 10:47:39

Eegore wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:01:10:
"It was growing and the government responded harshly."

What limits, if any, are imposed on the resources available to the US Government CENTCOM?

For this exercise, no limits......

To which I assume you'll reply as you did in the other thread and point out the biological capabilities of the government and they could simply introduce pathogens into the air, water or food source and end this pointless rebellion.

However, I respond again, why didn't we do that in Afghanistan? Why not on any of the numerous countries we've been involved against?

There are two answers, one applies more than the other but both are applicable.
1) universal condemnation
2) but the bigger reason is some variation of the 'you don't $hit in your house" philosophy. There would not be widespread killing of a general civilian population. Hell we haven't done that since WWII, I can't see The Feds carpet bombing Omaha, NE into a second Dresden......  

No, it would be door to door battles much like the Vietnam, Afghanistan and War on Terror battles we have or are currently in.

And on that battlefield, I don't think the outcome is certain.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 08/13/19 at 10:47:42

T And T Garage wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:11:10:

The world where millions would ban together and fight against some sort of tyrannical government is fictional.

Yeah, I bet they said that in 1776.....

And in Russia in 1917.....

And unfortunately many more to cite.....

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/13/19 at 10:51:13

T And T Garage wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:06:49:
I personally think that the idea of a "Well regulated Militia" in this day and age is nonsensical.

As Sero pointed out, the greatest power of the average citizen is the vote, not the gun - IMHO.

The fight against "tyranny" in today's America is done by grassroots movements like the Suffrage Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, the ERA, the LGBT movement, etc.

None of those people ever raised a gun against the government, yet they changed the very core of our Country.

Again, I'm not saying that the Second Amendment isn't important, and I think it should remain, but like the Eighteenth and Twenty-First - change is indeed possible in this country.

What if some President refused to leave office? What if he was perhaps a popular ex-military officer? What if this left/right divide we have grew to the point over the years that only right wingers joined the military and gradually controlled most major ranks?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/13/19 at 11:25:39

pg wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:47:42:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:11:10:

Yeah, I bet they said that in 1776.....

This isn't 1776 and we're not fighting for our independence against a bunch of guys standing in a row with flint-locks.

And in Russia in 1917.....

This isn't Russia and it's not 1917.

And unfortunately many more to cite.....

None in the Modern era and none in the US.  Moreover - no reason in America.

Best regards,

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/13/19 at 11:29:13

WebsterMark wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:51:13:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/13/19 at 10:06:49:

What if some President refused to leave office? What if he was perhaps a popular ex-military officer? What if this left/right divide we have grew to the point over the years that only right wingers joined the military and gradually controlled most major ranks?

I think "what ifs" are fun, but not practical.

trump has whimsically threatened not to leave office.  I think if that were to happen, cooler heads would prevail.

Believe it or not, there are some people in Congress that still follow the Constitution and would have someone like trump removed if he refused to go.

I think it's fun fodder for a movie script, but that's about it.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/13/19 at 11:51:18

would have someone like trump removed if he refused to go.

The whole point of this is to a mental exercise. Run with it. Could an armed citizenry make a stand against a US military?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/13/19 at 12:08:42

WebsterMark wrote on 08/13/19 at 11:51:18:
would have someone like trump removed if he refused to go.

The whole point of this is to a mental exercise. Run with it. Could an armed citizenry make a stand against a US military?

I won't buy into that concept.

But if you ask me straight out - there's no way an armed militia could stand against today's military.  No chance whatsoever.

Moreover - I think that America, as it is today, is beyond that kind of scenario.

Look , I loved Red Dawn as much as anyone.  But to think that you could replace those bad guys with our modern-day government is just fanciful thinking.

I understand the concept of a mental exercise - but even if it is just for fun, there still has to be logic.  And there's just no logic in thinking that we'd ever get to that point in our country today.

Of course... this is just my opinion.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/13/19 at 12:51:50

"However, I respond again, why didn't we do that in Afghanistan? Why not on any of the numerous countries we've been involved against? "

I will answer that again:

The Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989

https://www.congress.gov/bill/101st-congress/senate-bill/993/text

Also there is a considerable difference between US use of force models in other countries and on US soil.  For instance we may show restraint against Afghanistan insurgents in Afghanistan but if they came in through Mexico and attempted invasion in El Paso we would use totally different guidelines for engagement.  

To ask what would be done here, on US soil, to US citizens then comparing those actions to Foreign combatants on foreign soil is a futile exercise.  

We don't kill enemy combatants the same way anywhere, so comparing Afghanistan to an imaginary US Rebellion is no different than comparing Afghanistan to Germany, Kuwait, Korea, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Honduras, Vietnam, etc.  That conversation will be never-ending as there are too many variables.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 09:18:54

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Anti-tyranny Amendment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.