Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replace the on/off switch and start switch (Read 58 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Replace the on/off switch and start switch
08/10/19 at 06:06:42

1. Ok, not sure if I am calling the 2 switches/buttons up near the throttle correctly, but I would like to move those, and obviously replace them. Each stock switch has 2 wires going to it. So can I just use a 2 wire on/off switch and a 2 wire momentary switch to replace those? Hope my question is clear.

2. Is there any other buttons/switches out there for the headlamp and turn signals that is less bulky that would wire up to our current wiring? I don't care about the horn.

Thank you guys!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Replace the on/off switch and start switch
Reply #1 - 08/10/19 at 06:24:17

Lots of options. It is pretty much as you stated and they can be replaced by many different options out there.  For a while I just had some toggle switches for on/off and start.

This what I am currently running.  A momentary perch switch for start on the right side and the basics on the left.

bars_and_controls.png
WWW   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #2 - 08/10/19 at 06:29:23

:'(SpamyToo wrote on 08/10/19 at 06:24:17:
Lots of options. It is pretty much as you stated and they can be replaced by many different options out there.  For a while I just had some toggle switches for on/off and start.

This what I am currently running.  A momentary perch switch for start on the right side and the basics on the left.

Thanks so much. I like that set up. Where did you get the couch and brake lever with master cylinder in black? I found some on Amazon but not sure of the quality. Also where is your throttle housing, in the brake lever assembly?  I really like those turn signal and headlight switches, were they hard to wire up or is it pretty simple?

Really appreciate all the help!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 08/10/19 at 22:19:03

The parts are from various bikes.

The clutch lever is just a honda dirt bike clutch lever I had laying around. These usually come in black or polished.

The brake master and lever are from a big scooter. I found a Suzuki Burgman 650 that was totaled, but the master cylinder was pretty much new.  I think they normally come with a black master and a silver lever, but I found a black lever online.

The throttle housing is also a dirtbike item.  Its a Honda CR throttle housing.  The cable is super easy to route and works perfectly with the Keihin or Mikuni pwk carburetors (aftermarket item). Its just butted tight against the brake master so maybe it doesnt stand out, but its there. By the way, that is a 7/8" throttle.  As far as I know there isnt a off the shelf way to run a CR cable with a 1" throttle (which is stock on the savage).

The turn signal/headlight/horn housing is not too difficult to wire in.  It doesnt have a matching loom so you have to splice into the stock system.  I like it a lot, the only gripe I have is that with a glove on its hard to find the middle point of the turn signal switch. So often I have to fiddle with it a bit to get the turn signal turned off. In the meantime Im driving down the street like dorp on motorcycles flashing left and right signals over and over again.  Grin

Im currently making a database of what cables and hoses are needed for various bar heights and will be bulk ordering them and selling them in kits. Thats still a few weeks down the road.

Ill send you a pm about where I got them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:33:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replace the on/off switch and start switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.