Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing the stock petcock with the Yamaha Raptor (Read 66 times)
WolverineWinMX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacing the stock petcock with the Yamaha Raptor
08/08/19 at 14:56:11

I ordered the Yamaha Raptor petcock and will switch it with the stock petcock next week when it comes in the mail.

2 questions:

1) Can I just seal the vacuum to the carburetor with some silicone sealant or do I need to actually cap it with a plug or a cap?

2) I saw in another forum post that someone took the metal/tube line from the stock (which had a longer Reserve line), unscrewed it or popped it off and then changed it over to the Yamaha Raptor tube (which had a shorter reserve line).  Has anyone done this and is this reliable?  It won't get loose or anything?

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Replacing the stock petcock with the Yamaha Ra
Reply #1 - 08/08/19 at 16:38:35

As far as question one goes. You can get rubber plugs at Pep boys or AutoZone. Make sure you plug it properly, you don't want it to leak.

As for question two I would leave it alone. I have a Yamaha petcock and it has a 27 mile reserve range. Good enough I think.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 08/08/19 at 17:35:55

The rubber vacuum caps that I've bought at auto stores haven't lasted very long. If you go that route keep an eye on them. I finally put the hose from the original petcock back on the carb, stuck a 1"long machine screw in the open end, and tie wrapped the free end of the hose to the frame up under the tank.

There are better quality caps available, made of silicone, but you'll probably have to order them online.  I've never seen them at any of the chain auto stores around here.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/09/19 at 04:47:44

Get the rubber caps from a "quality" auto store......the discount ones may not be very durable.  The ones I bought held up well - but I did keep a spare in the tool kit just in case.  You can also just use a piece of the original hose with a 6mm bolt inserted.

Don't modify the Raptor - use it as it is.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/09/19 at 10:19:11

My bike is a 2015, a holdover purchased summer 2018.  The bike has only 1700 miles on it now, sitting for most of it's life.  

The bike has been running rough lately so I had a mechanic buddy look at it and sure enough...faulty factory petcock.  Order put in to Ron Ayers for a Raptor 660.

Wished I had replaced it, as recommended by those on this site, at purchase.

Cam chain tensioner is the next order of business.  I won't be caught off guard on that one!

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 10:56:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing the stock petcock with the Yamaha Raptor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.