Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Send Topic Print
At Least 9 Dead In Dayton (Read 1052 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: At Least 9 Dead In Dayton
Reply #105 - 08/07/19 at 18:27:01

Have you read the Federalist Papers?...

Here's a clip on armed militia.
Author: Alexander Hamilton
Quote:
To the People of the State of New York:

THE power of regulating the militia, and of commanding its services in times of insurrection and invasion are natural incidents to the duties of superintending the common defense, and of watching over the internal peace of the Confederacy.

It requires no skill in the science of war to discern that uniformity in the organization and discipline of the militia would be attended with the most beneficial effects, whenever they were called into service for the public defense. It would enable them to discharge the duties of the camp and of the field with mutual intelligence and concert an advantage of peculiar moment in the operations of an army; and it would fit them much sooner to acquire the degree of proficiency in military functions which would be essential to their usefulness. This desirable uniformity can only be accomplished by confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority.

Seems to put a lot of importance in the regulation of a militia by a national authority.
Also, purposed for fighting insurrection and invasion,.. not fighting your own government or shootin' burglars...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #106 - 08/08/19 at 04:46:09

And I could site Federalist 46. JOG has posted i fo for these past years on this topic.

The undeniable bottom line is for the vast majority of this nation's history, the freedom from government interference in the lives of it's citizens with regards to private firearm ownership has been understood and agreed to by a vast majority. We've agreed to restrictions that do not violate the spirit of the 2nd Amendment. Automatic weapons are very difficult, not impossible, to obtain. I don't believe there are many who object to that. I don't. You can't own a jet with sidewinder missiles, I'm okay with that. Just like certain exceptions to all the original Amendments.

So we're faced with how to react to the rare random mass shootings. Do we use the current judicial system to add more exceptions to the 2nd?

I say no. There are millions and millions of semiauto rifles in this country today of which 99.99999% are never used in the commission of a crime. It seems un-American to restrict the freedom of many due to what is chiefly a partisan political response to relativity rare events.

And before some of you go bonkers over that last statement, let me point out that I recall at least two of you objecting to immigration restrictions from chiefly Islamic nations with poor passport control after the California shootings because you thought the extreme rareness of these events meant any proposal was not proportional. I would say the same thing here. Fact is we've had the equivalent of 4 or 5 El Paso's if you consider the murders that have occurred in the nation since last Saturday. These shootings are rare. Don't toss aside a couple hundred years of historical precedent and sound logic based on what is partially a media fueled outrage.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #107 - 08/08/19 at 05:46:50

WebsterMark wrote on 08/08/19 at 04:46:09:
And I could site Federalist 46. JOG has posted i fo for these past years on this topic.

The undeniable bottom line is for the vast majority of this nation's history, the freedom from government interference in the lives of it's citizens with regards to private firearm ownership has been understood and agreed to by a vast majority. We've agreed to restrictions that do not violate the spirit of the 2nd Amendment. Automatic weapons are very difficult, not impossible, to obtain. I don't believe there are many who object to that. I don't. You can't own a jet with sidewinder missiles, I'm okay with that. Just like certain exceptions to all the original Amendments.

So we're faced with how to react to the rare random mass shootings.

Rare?  Is there an alternate definition in your world for "rare"???

Do we use the current judicial system to add more exceptions to the 2nd?

Not yet.  Licensing at the federal level and a few other federal regulations should be enacted.  It should not be easier to legally get a gun than it is to legally drive a car.

I say no. There are millions and millions of semiauto rifles in this country today of which 99.99999% are never used in the commission of a crime.

I'll play Eegore here - where did you get that stat?  
It sounds made up.

It seems un-American to restrict the freedom of many due to what is chiefly a partisan political response to relativity rare events.

And before some of you go bonkers over that last statement, let me point out that I recall at least two of you objecting to immigration restrictions from chiefly Islamic nations with poor passport control after the California shootings because you thought the extreme rareness of these events meant any proposal was not proportional. I would say the same thing here. Fact is we've had the equivalent of 4 or 5 El Paso's if you consider the murders that have occurred in the nation since last Saturday. These shootings are rare. Don't toss aside a couple hundred years of historical precedent and sound logic based on what is partially a media fueled outrage.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #108 - 08/08/19 at 06:08:16

There are 300 million plus people in the us. Take the number of random mass shootings this year and do a little math. The answer will be rare.

Than a drivers license???  Millions of people drive millions of miles per day constantly interacting with others. How many accidents across the nation are there everyday? 50,000? No idea. The vast vast majority of all guns sit unused for months or years at a time.

Where did 99.9999% come from? It’s an obvious made up number to prove a point. But again do the math. I read there are an estimated 55 million semi auto rifles in US.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #109 - 08/08/19 at 07:38:30

WebsterMark wrote on 08/08/19 at 06:08:16:
There are 300 million plus people in the us. Take the number of random mass shootings this year and do a little math. The answer will be rare.

LOL - so, over 200 a year is... rare?

We're talking about occurrences, not deaths, mark.

If we're talking about oh, let's say a year comprised of 365.25 days, then over 200 occurrences in that time frame is - common.

Than a drivers license???  Millions of people drive millions of miles per day constantly interacting with others. How many accidents across the nation are there everyday? 50,000? No idea. The vast vast majority of all guns sit unused for months or years at a time.

Where did 99.9999% come from? It’s an obvious made up number to prove a point. But again do the math. I read there are an estimated 55 million semi auto rifles in US.

You read that where?  You mean to say that over 15% of all guns in this country are assault rifles?  You sure about that?

The NSSF says it's more like 15 million (20 if you include all law enforcement).  
http://www.thetrace.org/2018/09/how-many-assault-weapons-in-the-us/

So, using your made up number, only 15 assault rifles have been used to commit mass shootings.  Well, yeah, maybe this year.... smh.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #110 - 08/08/19 at 07:59:05

Okay,.. I read Federalist 46.
It's mostly talking about America not having enough people to support a standing army that could repel the British.
Note they are talking about a militia to repel the British... Invasion and insurrection.  (Insurrection would likely be referring to English loyalists)
Not modern times individuals standing against their own US government.
But even if it was,.. the militia would be there to tamp them down not arm them.

The main point here is, we now have a standing army.  It is the most powerful in the world.
One has to look at reality.
So many things are so different now.
Population,.. weaponry,...
...frikken' Paul Revere would have a smart phone. Grin

A well regulated militia is no longer a consideration.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #111 - 08/08/19 at 08:05:31

LOL - so, over 200 a year is... rare?   Not been 200. I'm not counting the day to day shootings and neither are you. We have 2 or 3 El Paso's every single day in the country. Hell, I bet in Chicago, you've had 3 day weeksends with close to the same number killed. I believe we've had maybe 4 or perhaps 5 random mass shootings.

We're talking about occurrences, not deaths, mark.  Sure, 4 or 5 occurrences.  

If we're talking about oh, let's say a year comprised of 365.25 days, then over 200 occurrences in that time frame is - common.

You read that where?  You mean to say that over 15% of all guns in this country are assault rifles?  You sure about that?
If there are 300 million plus guns in the US, 55 million semi auto rifles seems reasonable to me.

The NSSF says it's more like 15 million (20 if you include all law enforcement).  

So, using your made up number, only 15 assault rifles have been used to commit mass shootings.  Well, yeah, maybe this year.... smh.
Actually, I think the real percentage is probably 99.999998667%.

My excel file tells me 4 as a percent of 300 million is .000001333%
5 is .000001667%   6 is .000002%.  15 is .000005%
So yea, I'd say semi auto rifles used in random mass shootings is a pretty rare occurrence. I fully realize that if you're one of those, numbers like that don't matter. But I read 815 kids under 14 drown in pools every year.  I see no call to ban pools. We have regulations, inspections, some place legislate lifeguards, etc....   

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #112 - 08/08/19 at 08:25:50

WebsterMark wrote on 08/08/19 at 08:05:31:

LOL - so, over 200 a year is... rare?   Not been 200. I'm not counting the day to day shootings and neither are you. We have 2 or 3 El Paso's every single day in the country. Hell, I bet in Chicago, you've had 3 day weeksends with close to the same number killed. I believe we've had maybe 4 or perhaps 5 random mass shootings.

Well, mark - the facts beg to differ....

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mass-shootings-2019-more-mass-shootings-than-days...

http://www.keranews.org/post/what-mass-shooting-why-we-struggle-agree-how-man...

We're talking about occurrences, not deaths, mark.  Sure, 4 or 5 occurrences.  

No mark, hundreds.  Facts are facts.

If there are 300 million plus guns in the US, 55 million semi auto rifles seems reasonable to me.

To you, maybe - but not to reality and the stats I posted.

Actually, I think the real percentage is probably 99.999998667%.

My excel file tells me 4 as a percent of 300 million is .000001333%
5 is .000001667%   6 is .000002%.  15 is .000005%

Wait, now you're saying that there are 300 million assault rifles?  You're not tracking your data very well (hope you track your own sales better than that...)

So yea, I'd say semi auto rifles used in random mass shootings is a pretty rare occurrence. I fully realize that if you're one of those, numbers like that don't matter. But I read 815 kids under 14 drown in pools every year.  I see no call to ban pools. We have regulations, inspections, some place legislate lifeguards, etc....   

LOL - yeah, because the express intent of pools is to drown children, right?

mark - the semi-auto gun is manufactured to one thing, and one thing only - destroy anything it's pointed at.

Don't give me BS stats on accidental deaths by drowning or cars - those are laughable comparisons.

We have about 350 million guns in this country - why is anyone surprised that we have hundreds - yes, mark, HUNDREDS of mass shootings every year?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #113 - 08/08/19 at 09:42:59

Serowbot wrote on 08/08/19 at 07:59:05:
Okay,.. I read Federalist 46.
It's mostly talking about America not having enough people to support a standing army that could repel the British.
Note they are talking about a militia to repel the British... Invasion and insurrection.  (Insurrection would likely be referring to English loyalists)
Not modern times individuals standing against their own US government.
But even if it was,.. the militia would be there to tamp them down not arm them.

The main point here is, we now have a standing army.  It is the most powerful in the world.
One has to look at reality.
So many things are so different now.
Population,.. weaponry,...
...frikken' Paul Revere would have a smart phone. Grin

I disagree. For most of our history, everyone disagreed with you. It's only lately.

No one wants people killed. But I'm not ready to give away something I like and enjoy because a few misuse them. And it is a right expressed in one of the most important documents we have in our history. It means something. No, you can't have them.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #114 - 08/08/19 at 09:57:36

The right to bear 100 round assault rifles...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #115 - 08/08/19 at 10:19:00

And nether is abortion when so many forms of birth control are readily available.....

Which will save innocent lives too.......

You want to pick and choose, then so can others, what they want to adhere to.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #116 - 08/08/19 at 10:19:22

Serowbot wrote on 08/08/19 at 09:57:36:

That's a lot to carry but whatever.

Look, we've hit a wall. It's an absolutely true statement, guns don't kill peopel, people kill people. If guns kill people then pencils make spelling mistakes.

Murder rates have fallen dramatically over the past decades. These random mass shootings are seemingly increasing. Despite what the kid under your skirt says, there have not been hundreds of mass shootings. That's just using the wrong statistic for drama's sake. If you're serious about this, then be serious. Look at the people who are doing this. Understand them. Both young men had serious, serious issues. I don't know what the answer is, but I know what its not. And further inflaming the country pursuing solutions that won't do anything of significance is foolish.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #117 - 08/08/19 at 10:45:03

WebsterMark wrote on 08/08/19 at 10:19:22:
Serowbot wrote on 08/08/19 at 09:57:36:

That's a lot to carry but whatever.

Look, we've hit a wall. It's an absolutely true statement, guns don't kill peopel, people kill people. If guns kill people then pencils make spelling mistakes.

Murder rates have fallen dramatically over the past decades. These random mass shootings are seemingly increasing. Despite what the kid under your skirt says, there have not been hundreds of mass shootings. That's just using the wrong statistic for drama's sake. If you're serious about this, then be serious. Look at the people who are doing this. Understand them. Both young men had serious, serious issues. I don't know what the answer is, but I know what its not. And further inflaming the country pursuing solutions that won't do anything of significance is foolish.

"Despite what the kid under your skirt says..."

Nice one!

You think that one up by yourself mark?

Please - tell me again how I made this forum so terrible?

Naw, nevermind... I'm just messin' with ya.

I actually think it's sad that you live in ignorance to the world around you.  There have been hundreds of mass shootings this year alone - that's a fact mark - a fact.  I guess you can be thankful that you weren't involved in one, huh?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #118 - 08/08/19 at 11:53:11

Look, I know you are a serial liar, but lets get this straight. When you say hundreds of mass shootings this year in a conversation about El Paso and Dayton, you are lying. You are holding up an apple and an orange and tring to blow smoke up everyone's a$$.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #119 - 08/08/19 at 12:12:44

WebsterMark wrote on 08/08/19 at 11:53:11:
Look, I know you are a serial liar, but lets get this straight. When you say hundreds of mass shootings this year in a conversation about El Paso and Dayton, you are lying. You are holding up an apple and an orange and tring to blow smoke up everyone's a$$.

Not true Web...he kisses Bot's  Grin Grin Grin Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 06:00:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › At Least 9 Dead In Dayton

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.