Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter solenoid ? 2009 s40 (Read 38 times)
DaveinFL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter solenoid ? 2009 s40
07/24/19 at 06:27:17

In need of reassurance that I am on the right track. I had this bike apart for months polishing and cerakoting the aluminium,  etc... it ran fine before. I get the thing all together and it wont crank. I found the starter not getting power. The decompression solenoid is working and the lights go off when I push the starter button. The fuses are good. The starter solenoid has power from the battery cable has power going in the yellow black tracer wire when the button is pushed but nothing coming out of the cable to the starter. Also it has a new battery installed. Am I missing anything?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Starter solenoid ? 2009 s40
Reply #1 - 07/24/19 at 07:59:40

First do you have power coming out of the solenoid going to the starter when hit the starter button?  If not ,and you have power to the solenoid from the starter button the solenoid is bad, unless the ground wire (black&white) isn't connected .(you could check it using an Ohm meter)If you hear/feel the solenoid click -see below.
   If you removed the left side case , did you place the washers for the anti -kickback gear for the starter properly ,they belong on each side of that gear , if you placed one on the normal gear and replaced the cover it will jam the starter gear train and the bike wont turn over.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/24/19 at 09:08:05

I don't know if reversing the wires will cause it not to function, but it's worth a try.

WWW   IP Logged
DaveinFL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/24/19 at 12:48:09

Seems like I have a two fold problem... the solenoid has no power coming out of it to the starter...  has good ground, power going in from the button, power coming from battery cable. I ordered a direct replacement from a local auto electrical shop. $28 far cheaper then $90 from the dealer. I jumped the starter to see if the engine cranked and nothing. Bench tested the starter and it spins up fine. I reached in with a big screw driver and the gear is locked up both ways. Turned the engine with a socket through the inspection hole and seems to turn fine. I saw elsewhere in the forum there should be a washer on both sides of the double gear on the left as your facing it? When I removed the cover it fell out and I put the washer on the gear the starter engages in. Am I correct in assuming it's the wrong one? Just hoping I didnt do any damage, this has been a long project and I'm so close but yet so far!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/24/19 at 12:54:35

DaveinFL wrote on 07/24/19 at 12:48:09:
I reached in with a big screw driver and the gear is locked up both ways. Turned the engine with a socket through the inspection hole and seems to turn fine. I saw elsewhere in the forum there should be a washer on both sides of the double gear on the left as your facing it? When I removed the cover it fell out and I put the washer on the gear the starter engages in. Am I correct in assuming it's the wrong one? Just hoping I didnt do any damage

Yes, you put the washer on the wrong one.
No, you might not have caused any damage as long teeth didn't break or the starter didn't burn up.

WWW   IP Logged
DaveinFL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/19 at 13:18:09

I'll hang it back on the hoist and dig back in. Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:52:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter solenoid ? 2009 s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.