Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CDI unit: what do we know about it? (Read 184 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
CDI unit: what do we know about it?
07/11/19 at 18:28:29

Regarding this units advance/retard is there any curve to it?
I read somewhere that it's a fixed ratio at all RPMs.
Anyone know otherwise?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: CDI unit: what do we know about it?
Reply #1 - 07/11/19 at 21:45:17

It has a curve.  Like 3 BTDC at idle and 27 BTDC full advance (probably above 4000).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1521968829

I have also found specs on the older DR650 that show that model was 0 at idle and 28 BTDC above 4300.  I have no idea if the ignition modules are interchangeable.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/12/19 at 05:02:33

The DR650 has a two plug head ,and a CDI , the Savage has a TDI , the coil and ignition modules are a matched set , even changing to a hotter coil can damage the igniter mod. (flashback) . The Savage having a plug in the center of the head is considered "fast" being as the flame front needs to travel only half as far as the flame front on a normal two valve head, and is up to the job even when we mod the motor for higher performance . There is a wire from the starter that sends a signal to the TDI that further retards the timing when cranking during startup. If you felt that the timing needed more advance you could  enlarge the holes in the pickup coil and shift the advance/retard a couple of degrees, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, being the two times you want the timing  to be retarded is at startup and high speeds to avoid detonation.( don't fix it if it isn't broke)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 07/12/19 at 10:16:52

My concern is it may have broke the day they introduced ethanol blended fuel everywhere.
The blend burns faster so retarding should be necessary to prevent peak cylinder pressure too early in the cycle.
Suzuki hasn't changed this bike significantly since the 80s so the ignition timing is still likely set for 1980s fuel without ethanol.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/12/19 at 10:26:02

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/11/19 at 21:45:17:
It has a curve.  Like 3 BTDC at idle and 27 BTDC full advance (probably above 4000).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1521968829

I have also found specs on the older DR650 that show that model was 0 at idle and 28 BTDC above 4300.  I have no idea if the ignition modules are interchangeable.

I was reading the SSM the other day, I think it's 5 to 30 BTDC, idle to 4000 rpm.

WWW   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 07/12/19 at 10:35:57

philthymike wrote on 07/12/19 at 10:16:52:
My concern is it may have broke the day they introduced ethanol blended fuel everywhere.
The blend burns faster so retarding should be necessary to prevent peak cylinder pressure too early in the cycle.
Suzuki hasn't changed this bike significantly since the 80s so the ignition timing is still likely set for 1980s fuel without ethanol.

The rotor and ignition module changed in the mid 90's for the LS. Trigger location changed on the rotor so static timing is different. And the module has to match the rotor or the timing is way off, which sounds like the curve may have changed then also.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/12/19 at 11:02:13

Fast 650 wrote on 07/12/19 at 10:35:57:
The rotor and ignition module changed in the mid 90's for the LS. Trigger location changed on the rotor so static timing is different. And the module has to match the rotor or the timing is way off, which sounds like the curve may have changed then also.

Yes, the trigger points are different, but I believe the static timing is the same.  But you really can't check static timing.  

The old rotor has a short trigger plate and the new one has a long one.
The old rotor trigger point has a large offset from 0°TDC.
Whereas the new is short.

I'll have to put a timing wheel against the rotors and check.
But I think the new rotor is set up to spark somewhere between the beginning and end of the trigger plate.
Whereas the old just triggers it.
I believe the change was for accuracy, not that this type of timing is incredibly accurate.  Also may indicate that the processor was changed.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/12/19 at 19:11:23

Octane is a fuels resistance to burn,   87 octane pure gas 0r 87 octane E10 ,burn at the same rate. No adjustment (retarding )of the timing  is needed.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 07/12/19 at 19:23:38

There's many sources that say otherwise.

Has anyone here ridden a savage on straight non blended gas from a marina?
Does the engine run any different then?

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #9 - 07/12/19 at 20:43:45

I have been running my S40 on ethanol-free (pure) gasoline for
several years.

The only performance advantage that I notice is that it may start
a little easier and achieve smooth idle sooner; especially if it has not
been started for a month or more.

I don't ride aggressively enough to know if there is more, less, or any
spark knock compared to ethanol blended gasoline.

The reason I run  ethanol-free gasoline is that the bike may sit for
weeks or several months while I am traveling and I don't want to
deal with phase separation or moisture accumulation in the fuel.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 07/12/19 at 21:39:24

Thanks for sharing that Todd. Very interesting.
There's one report of the engine running normally on non ethanol gas.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 07/13/19 at 03:35:13

I keep a lot of fuel containers at home for the bikes, mowers and 4wheeler.  I fill them with 100% gas (87 & 91 octane) at the one station in town that has it and fill the tanks when I return from a ride.  When filling on a ride I use what ever fuel is handy and have not noticed any difference in performance between the fuels.  
I like to ride aggressively. 😎🏍

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 07/13/19 at 07:47:22

I guess that the timing is such that the motor isn't too sensitive about fuel.
My old 67 Econoline wasn't so happy with the fuel changes. The reason I sold it back in 06 is I couldn't get it run right on blended gas no matter what. I fussed with the points and timing to no end. Replaced all the ignition system, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines. Nothing helped. When it became hard to find straight gas I'd had enough with messing with it.

Funny how some engines aren't picky about fuel while others are.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/13/19 at 13:17:08

philthymike wrote on 07/12/19 at 19:23:38:
There's many sources that say otherwise.

Has anyone here ridden a savage on straight non blended gas from a marina?
Does the engine run any different then?

I have a modified engine and run Premium has I have a Wiseco piston with higher compression, a cam, VM, carb, etc.

I have run E10 pump gas, Avgas 100LL, a couple different brands race fuels, and Premium gas that is ethanol free (purchased at either a Marina or at gas stations that sell Pure Gas).

I have noticed a very minor change in smoothness with the higher octane pure gasoline....the burn seems to be a bit more controlled under full throttle and the full throttle acceleration just feels a bit smoother.  I don't know if it is the octane rating that makes the difference.......or the fact that the fuel/air ratio is a bit richer as a result of there being no ethanol.  During normal riding that doesn't include long full throttle runs - I can't tell any difference at all.

So......it really doesn't make much difference and running Premium pump gas in my engine seems to work well - with or without ethanol.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/14/19 at 09:23:50

The only real difference between pure gas and the SAME octane E -gas ,would be seen in mpg.  E10  being 10 percent alcohol would contain about 3.33% less BTU content than pure gas. If you got 50 mpg with pure gas you could expect to only get 48.35 mpg from E gas. When you consider the difference in price at the pump , your wasting money ,If you spend  the money to save a 5 miles per tank full on pure gas , you'll find that the same amount will allow you to ride an extra 25 miles on E-gas. But to each his own.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 10:22:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CDI unit: what do we know about it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.