Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New 93 Savage owner checking in (Read 46 times)
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
New 93 Savage owner checking in
07/09/19 at 16:13:17

Recently picked up a new to me 1993!  It's bone stock far as I can tell, it wasn't running when I bought it (but it would turn over) and it's pretty rough cosmetically, been sitting for who knows how long... I got it with a project in mind.

So Far:
-emptied old gas, rinsed and drained again, filled with fresh
-drained carb, (was dry) flushed the bowl best I could
-installed Raptor petcock (old one wouldn't even drain on prime), capped vacuum port
-replaced blown main fuses
-new battery

and... It runs! woohoo!  However, it will not idle.  It runs with choke out, then in, but will not stay idling without jockeying the throttle.  I played with the idle screw, even all the way in it doesn't help.  What's my next best course of action?

Also, turn signals don't work, front brake light switch, horn and headlight all inop.  The rear brake and light works, neutral light works.  Guess it's time to chase wires in the front end?

My plan is to get it running first, then worry about brakes/tires and getting it safetied for the road.  Then as a winter project hopefully remove the engine and:
-check cam chain tensioner
-starter gears
-fix head plug leak

Thanks for any help and I'll keep digging through the forum!  Cheers.

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New 93 Savage owner checking in
Reply #1 - 07/09/19 at 19:33:30

Yank the pilot jet and check for blockage. Hold it with needle nose pliers and hit it with a propane torch if it's blocked up, that'll clear it. Run a bottle of StarTron through with fresh gas after the carb cleaning.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/10/19 at 06:01:29

Your headlight ,front turn signals /running lights ,horn , all have one thing in common ,the ground wire (black with white stripe) . But you had blown fuses which may be the positive to one of these is shorting out , I'd be looking for loose/damaged wires/ connectors, going in or inside the headlight shell .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Keifer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Canada
Reply #3 - 07/10/19 at 06:35:27

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try and dig around the headlight looking for chafed wires.

As to the pilot jet, I'm guessing that means I'll need to remove the carb and do a full clean?  Should I bother with seafoam in the gas first or just go ahead and pull the carb?  
Never done it before, but I'm willing to try!  I've got a Clymer I've been reading already...  I noticed dry sediment came out when I first removed the drain plug before I started it so I suspected it would need a cleaning eventually...

93 Savage - 21K miles
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/10/19 at 07:30:11

I'd go straight for the carb cleaning. SeaFoam is effective, but not a miracle. StarTron is actually much better suited to actively remove varnish, but you're likely at the manual cleaning stage. Add a bottle of StarTron to a fresh tank of fuel AFTER the cleaning of the carb by hand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 93 Savage owner checking in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.