Send Topic Print
Clutch stiff (Read 61 times)
Jules
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch stiff
07/08/19 at 09:13:40

I'm having an issue with my clutch and I cannot seem to figure out the reason for it.  Recently my clutch cable broke and I changed it up with a new one.  My clutch feels very stiff now and requires a lot of effort to squeeze the lever.  I'm thinking that this must have been happening before i changed the cable which is the reason for the original cable breaking.   I have checked the cable without it attached to the clutch and seems to move pretty freely which eliminated my original thought of lubing the cable.   This however has heightened my fears that i have a problem with the actual clutch and will require a lot more work.   Any suggestions?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch stiff
Reply #1 - 07/08/19 at 09:52:09

A routing issue?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jules
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/08/19 at 10:25:20

I tested the cable in position not attached to the clutch and it moved freely.  I also moved the cable around in multiple positions while squeezing the lever.   Still very stiff.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/08/19 at 10:31:51

Before the cable broke
Did it get stiff?

Look up under the clutch lever where the cable passes through the rod.
Make sure the rod is twisting in the lever and
Not bending the cable.
You'll need it all connected for that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/08/19 at 11:56:00

Be sure that both nuts on the clutch end of the cable are above the boss (hole in the upper case) that the cable runs through . the lower nut adjusts the cable length and the top nut just locks it in place . All the force is on the top of the boss when the clutch lever is squeezed . If both nut aren't on top it can snap the boss .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jules
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/08/19 at 19:10:01

Before the cable snapped I think that it was beginning to feel a little stiff.  I believe that's why the cable snapped.  In addition both nuts are above the boss.  

Let's assume that the problem is not the cable since it moves completely freely when not attached to the clutch.  What issue could there be within the clutch assembly which could cause it to stiffen up?  Any ideas?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/08/19 at 20:17:36

Seeing the cable snapped it may be possible that the clutch push rod has jumped to the area above the release cam and jammed between the case and top of the cam,  this would not allow you to move the outside clutch arm upward . the fix would be to push the rod back in the clutch center and replace the side cover , if the cam isn't damaged .( note: when replacing the cover the arm needs to be lifted and held level  so that the rod will seat in the divot on the lower face of the release cam)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:33:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch stiff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.