Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bike died on the way to work this morning (Read 291 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Bike died on the way to work this morning
Reply #30 - 07/01/19 at 19:18:59

Springman ,  That thing Dave said , about unplugging everything and see when Verseys light "lights-up" as you replug  things.  
O - yea ... check for green fuzzy stuff in the connectors while your there.  

So , is it the red feeder to the switch or is it the one going to the starter relay ?
Smiley

Does it only plow fuses with the switch in the "ON" position ?

As much moisture as ya'll get I can envision green fussy stuff growing inside the main switch ???  Huh

wait a minute ... the big one going to the relay don't have a fuse , but it does have a disconnect don't it.

« Last Edit: 07/01/19 at 20:29:24 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #31 - 07/01/19 at 20:27:29

Hello MM. When I connect the connector of the 2 red wires, one coming from the starter solenoid, and the other red wire going into the harness, and I switch the key to the on position, that is when the fuse blows.

I intend to disconnect all connectors again and start by just connecting the the connector of the 2 red wires and see what happens then. I suspect though I probably won't be able to get to it until Thursday or Friday. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say "green fuzzy stuff" and I have not seen any of it yet.

It is a shame the bike is down. These last couple of days have been great riding days.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 07/01/19 at 20:51:33

I wish I was there to help ya "Trouble-shoot" it .    Lancer had a lot of electrical problems with REX  but it was running GREAT last spring so don't give up !    

I'll bet its something really simple when ya find it ...

Mine had a smashed wire between the seat and frame once  Embarrassed

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 07/01/19 at 20:55:50

First rule of fixing stuff
Visual inspection

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #34 - 07/01/19 at 21:14:43

If you have  VOLT/OHM METER  , you could use the ohms setting to check the wiring ,without the power on,  and a test light or fuses would not be needed .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 07/01/19 at 21:43:33

I had a definite 2 volt drop from the battery to the TCI.
I cleaned all the contacts with deoxit and it's good as new.

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT%C2%AE-Gold-Electronic-Maintenance-Caig/dp/B00E1...

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #36 - 07/01/19 at 22:27:51

That's that  $ stuff .  

but if it works and last a long time ...

I wonder if you disconnect the switch the fuse might stop blowing ... if it don't  then good its pin-pointed.

but

reconnecting the switch one wire at a time would put ya on the right track   line   wire .

you know the first thing to look at is any accessory's you have added on .  

I've got it !

Springman , pull them running light blubs out and look into the socket or better yet ... get inside the head light and un-plug the both of them and the headlight for good measure.  I have seen the light-bulb-plug-ins loose a wire and that would go strait to ground and blow fuses just like your experiencing .   same thing on the tail light wires.

Let me know if that is it and I'll keep on thinking what else it could be .

You eliminate the lights out then there ain't nothing left but the coil , and switches. 

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #37 - 07/02/19 at 08:15:38

Thanks guys. If I get home early enough I will try to tinker with it some more.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 07/02/19 at 14:50:25

I could understand it a lot easier if it did that on a Monday.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #39 - 07/02/19 at 17:29:31

Only one connector left to connect and the fuse is still intact. And you probably guessed it, the connector at the very front that takes power to the lights and electronics on handle bar is the one that is yet to be connected. I will take a look at the light connections first and hopefully find the issue there. If not, then I will proceed to the electronics on the handle bar. Hopefully I will have it resolved soon.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 07/03/19 at 08:16:37

One of the "fuse popper" things that can happen, is if the previous owner replaced the screws that hold the turn signal shafts together and used screws that are too long.  The longer screw can dig into the wiring that is inside the shaft and create a ground.

If you have to open up the headlight....the first thing I would do is unhook the running light and turn signal wires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #41 - 07/03/19 at 12:45:09

Thanks Dave, I will look. This examination of the bike revealed a few things I had never noticed. For one, I actually have a pigtail for a battery tender, it was just sort of hidden. Second, there is actually some sort of rubber cover for the starter solenoid, it just was not on the solenoid but rather between it and part of the frame. Ahhh, the things you find when you bother to look. Shocked

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #42 - 07/03/19 at 19:25:54

And the culprit is .... right front blinker. Have not had a chance to take it off the bike to look at it but hopefully will do so tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 07/03/19 at 23:46:29 by springman »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 07/03/19 at 23:53:25

Check the wires where they pass  by the screw that holds the stalk onto the black part.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 07/03/19 at 23:55:14

Definitely not#2 Phillips screws. JIS tips required.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 16:26:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bike died on the way to work this morning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.