Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Bike died on the way to work this morning (Read 291 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Bike died on the way to work this morning
06/28/19 at 19:24:54

Bike died this morning just as I was turning into the HOV entrance ramp. I realized immediately that power was gone but it took me a few seconds, as I was searching for neutral, to realize that all electric power was gone. I am assuming the battery died, as that is basically what happened when the previous battery died. It is really annoying that there is no warning, the battery appears to be working just fine, and suddenly it is dead.  Sad

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Bike died on the way to work this morning
Reply #1 - 06/28/19 at 19:40:44

Charge the battery, let sit overnight, and check the voltage ,if it exceeds about 12.5 or more ,its time to test the stator,  or regulator/rectifier .
      You have to remember that once the voltage of your battery drops below about 10 volts ,the bike 's ignition fails and will not produce a spark, and that your headlight uses nearly half the power produced by the generating system.  I just replaced my reg/rectifier ( two days ago) for the same reason . They suffer a lot of abuse from the power they have to shed in the form of heat when the battery is fully charged and temperatures are high, because the stator puts out a constant amount of power (depending on rpm) all the time . Mine lasted 24 years but I'm in N.Y. not the heat of Texas.
    Your statement that all power was gone (my bike acted the same way) leads me to think the generating system failed and the bike ran until the battery voltage was pulled down to around 10 volts and nothing worked not even the lights.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/28/19 at 20:06:32

Thanks Batman. I'll give it a shot.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/28/19 at 20:17:49

If you charge the battery and unplug the three wire plug going to the reg/rec (the vellow? wires) and the bike starts and runs, you'll know to check the gen. system.
   Most people don't realize that running a lot of LED"s compounds the heat load that has to be shed, smaller batteries may also have some effect.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/29/19 at 04:19:21

I think it is a bit odd the battery died while the bike is running......every battery that has died on me was when I went to start the bike.  The charging system normally keeps things going once the engine is running, and the problem shows up when you shut the bike off (or stall it) and you can't get it started again.  I suppose it is possible that your battery shorted out and killed everything - but that is a unique way for the battery to croak.

Once you charge and check your battery, I would be tempted to install a voltmeter so you can monitor your system voltage while you ride.  If you see the voltage drop as you ride......you will need to look at the charging system on the bike and see why the bike isn't charging properly.  This would not have to be a permanent installation and you can get digital voltmeters for less than $10 on eBay - you could temporarily hook it into the running light connector in the headlight bucket and you would not need to run wires back to the ignition switch....this would provide an accurate enough reading for you to monitor the ups and downs of the voltage as you ride.  

I used this one on my little Ninja, it worked great and you can mount it with the little metal bracket they make for cigarette lighter power sockets.  The blue is too bright for night riding.....red is a better color for the bike dash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Car-Motorcycle-Voltage...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 06/29/19 at 07:39:28

A loose wire?  Roll Eyes

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 06/29/19 at 07:57:59

Did you check the fuses?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/29/19 at 11:58:32

Thanks all. I did not get a chance to look at it last night and right now it is raining cats and dogs. I will be looking at all the suggestions mentioned and may even get the voltage meter Dave recommended. Thanks. I'll post what I find. Of course the tank is full as I had just stopped to fill up prior to the bike dying.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/29/19 at 13:12:21

philthymike wrote on 06/29/19 at 07:57:59:
Did you check the fuses?

That's where to start.

And before you charge a battery
Make sure it needs it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/29/19 at 19:21:03

OK. The rain cooled things off a bit so I removed the battery and some accessory lights I had. I put the battery on my charger and it indicated charged. One of my multi meters has a load tester so I tested the battery and it tested fine. At this point I have only removed the seat and not the tank. All the wires look fine and nothing smells burned. I do not see any fuses so I have to figure out where they are (probably under the tank).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/29/19 at 21:44:14

Eyeballeable ,,
Under the right side of the seat.
You can touch them, you might get one out,, I did, but couldn't stuff it back in.
Pop the seat, it's just easier.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/30/19 at 13:06:43

Back from church and after church lunch. Food has digested and it is relatively cool so I went to look for the fuses. Yep easy to find once you have an idea of where to look. One of the 20 amp fuses is blown. So, heading to O'reilly to buy some fuses.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 06/30/19 at 13:39:42

OK. Now to find where the short is. I installed the fuse and as soon as I turned the key to the on position the fuse blew out. I guess I will have to take the tank off after all.  Angry

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 06/30/19 at 14:29:50

Pull the switch apart - and I remember I had a issue with the starter button before, I forget exactly, but I pulled it apart ( the handle assembly) cleaned it all up, and put it back together, it worked....

You don't hang a lot of keys on your ring do you, that can damage a switch too.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/30/19 at 15:02:21

I'd pull the tank and seats, disconnect every connector, and certainly the ignition module, turn the key on and check the fuse, plug in a connector, check the fuse, and keep going until it popped.
Start connecting working away from the ignition switch. The problem is in the part of the circuit you just connected.

Look at the wires that run close to the steering stop.
Have you worked on anything before this started?
Remove a turn signal?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:12:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bike died on the way to work this morning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.