Send Topic Print
No tittle (Read 149 times)
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No tittle
06/24/19 at 10:34:40

I have occasional found an old bike I would like to buy but it has no tittle. I have not been able to figure out how to get a new title.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: No tittle
Reply #1 - 06/24/19 at 11:01:54

Go visit the office where you would transfer titles and ask them what it takes to generate a title for an abandoned bike. Seems like the V.I.N. run through the
Is it stolen
Check list should get you started.
Different states have different rules.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/24/19 at 15:44:28

In Ohio, a bike with no title is a parts bike. Everyone suddenly becomes an expert on vehicle titles when selling one without a title, but fact is in Ohio the only path to a title is from another title in proper standing. You can't "apply" for one, get one using a bill-of-sale, or convince Vermont to print you one. How so many vehicles come to have no retrievable title is beyond me, but it speaks to the laziness and ignorance of the populace.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/25/19 at 03:40:37

In KY it is impossible to get a title for something that doesn't already have a title.  An original owner can apply for a lost title replacement - but nobody else can.

You may be able to find online sources for agencies that can get you a title.

They issue you a title from a state with lenient rules, then later on you may be able to transfer it into your state. I think it cost about $400 to get this done by an agency.....you can do it yourself but it will take you some time to figure out how to get it done.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/19 at 07:36:45

BrokeAss wrote on 06/24/19 at 15:44:28:
In Ohio, a bike with no title is a parts bike. Everyone suddenly becomes an expert on vehicle titles when selling one without a title, but fact is in Ohio the only path to a title is from another title in proper standing. You can't "apply" for one, get one using a bill-of-sale, or convince Vermont to print you one. How so many vehicles come to have no retrievable title is beyond me, but it speaks to the laziness and ignorance of the populace.
---------------------------------

I'm pretty sure you can get a title for an "abandoned" vehicle in Ohio through the court system.   The link below explains how it works and it looks to be intended for towing and repair facilities.  I thought it could be used by landlords and property owners, but I'm not an expert.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-unclaimed.aspx

EDIT: Here it is:

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-court.aspx

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/25/19 at 07:44:50

If it wasn't already noted above, some states also allow for a bonded title, where the cost of the bond is based on the value of the bike. When you are dealing with bikes this cheap and add the cost of the bike on top of the title fee and then the bond, you are back to square one as far as money and you would be in the same spot financially if you just bought a bike with clean title that didn't need this extra work.

I bought a bike with a title issue once (the bank screwed it up, not the seller) and although it was not a lost/missing title issue, never again will I buy a bike without clear title in hand.  

I think the consensus here is that unless you or a family member work for DMV and you have connections, no-title bikes are almost never worth the trouble if your goal is to get a title.  If all you want is a parts bike, then cheap no-title bikes are ok.

...And think about it this way, if getting a title were viable the current owner would have already done it and they are usually selling because they have already realized it ain't happening.
 Huh

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 06/25/19 at 08:20:14

If someone is trying to sell a bike with no title and they tell you it is easy to get a new title, tell them that you will pay them an additional $100 if they procure a title for it.  You will not find anyone willing to make that extra $100 because they know how hard it is to get a title or they would have already gotten it themselves.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/25/19 at 08:30:36

Or go online and buy just a frame with a title . If it's a bike you intend to keep, you shouldn't care what year it's titled as.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/25/19 at 18:36:54

ohiomoto wrote on 06/25/19 at 07:36:45:
BrokeAss wrote on 06/24/19 at 15:44:28:
---------------------------------

I'm pretty sure you can get a title for an "abandoned" vehicle in Ohio through the court system.   The link below explains how it works and it looks to be intended for towing and repair facilities.  I thought it could be used by landlords and property owners, but I'm not an expert.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-unclaimed.aspx

EDIT: Here it is:

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-court.aspx

You're referring to a mechanic's lien, and even that takes 6-months, an unpaid bill, and a mountain of paperwork.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/26/19 at 06:12:47

Actually, it's the second link.  It's probably mostly used by landlords who have tenants that leave their junk behind.  I know a guy who said his brother has used it before.

Quote:
COURT ORDER TITLES
A court order can allow an individual to apply directly to the Registrar of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and submit evidence for ownership of a motor vehicle.

If the Registrar finds the evidence insufficient, the applicant may petition the Court of Common Pleas for a court order instructing a County Clerk of Courts Title Office to issue a certificate of title.

Example: A court order would be necessary to obtain a certificate of title when a vehicle has been abandoned on private property and the owner cannot be located.

What Do I Need to Do?
Contact your local County Clerk of Courts Title Office to obtain court order instructions.

Please Note: Some County Clerk of Courts Title Offices may not have court order instructions. In addition, there is no guarantee a court order will be granted.Â

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #10 - 06/26/19 at 07:02:32

When you guys say no title, are you saying that the VIN is not in the system?

CA is usually the biggest pain to get anything done, but its not impossible to get a new title.  The VIN should be in the system and should say who the owner is.  With a Bill of Sale and the correct signatures your on the road to get a new title.  Ive bought a bunch of bikes with no titles.  Its a pain here, but not impossible.  If the VIN isnt in the system its a bit more work with inspections but if you have a CHP friend they can help you out.

I feel bad for you guys. Thats a bummer.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 06/26/19 at 07:30:22

Here in Florida it is nearly impossible to get a title for an abandoned bike. The only "easy" way is to find the previous owner and have him get a replacement title then have it signed over to the buyer. If it's not possible to locate the previous owner the bike is a parts bike.
  It is possible to have a title search done but once again even if you find out who the bike was titled to you still need to find him and get a title from him. The other fly in the ointment would be that if he wanted the bike back you could be out of all the money and time that you spent.
 I'm not even going into buying the bike from a third party who just wants to unload the bike without a title. That can get into dealing with stolen property.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/26/19 at 12:18:21

SpamyToo wrote on 06/26/19 at 07:02:32:
 The VIN should be in the system and should say who the owner is.  

The folks at the DMW are not allowed to give you the name and address of who owns a vehicle - that is not public information.   There is little chance of getting this done if you don't know somebody in the DMV or Police Department who will break the law and do you a favor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 06/26/19 at 21:21:29

Zook, I have a frame with a clean title from Pa. for sale. Frame is tweeked but title is straight. All you need is the head stock and title, my sawsall can make that a reality.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #14 - 06/26/19 at 21:41:20

"The folks at the DMW are not allowed to give you the name and address of who owns a vehicle - that is not public information.   There is little chance of getting this done if you don't know somebody in the DMV or Police Department who will break the law and do you a favor."

I hear what your saying Dave, but Im not sure thats entirely correct. There are exceptions to that rule.  

From what I have experienced and from what the internet and CA DMV says this is more of the situation...

"If you know the VIN number of the car, you can fill out a form to officially request information about the car's current owner. However, in accordance with the Drivers Privacy Protection Act, the DMV can only release the information if your inquiry concerns a theft or the transferal of records into your name."

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/how_info_shared

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No tittle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.