YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: No tittle
Reply #15 - 06/27/19 at 06:09:18

SpamyToo wrote on 06/26/19 at 21:41:20:
"The folks at the DMW are not allowed to give you the name and address of who owns a vehicle - that is not public information.   There is little chance of getting this done if you don't know somebody in the DMV or Police Department who will break the law and do you a favor."

I hear what your saying Dave, but Im not sure thats entirely correct. There are exceptions to that rule.  

My one experience involved a "part bike" that I purchased.  The fellow I bought it from got sucker punched shortly after he bought the bike, and when his head hit the pavement he suffered brain damage and went into a coma for several months.  His friends moved all his stuff and lost the title that had never been transferred....and he did not remember who he bought it from.

When I went to the DMV in my county with the VIN she looked it up and said the owner lived in Louisville - but she could not give me the information.  Luckily the County Clerk happened to be in the office and is an old family friend and I saw him write the information down on a slip of paper.....and as he handed it to me he repeated that "she" was not allowed to give me that information  If he had not been in the office and seen what was going on - I doubt it would have turned out that way.  It also turned out that there were 8 years of unpaid taxes on the bike......and thankfully the real owner of the bike was able to talk them into canceling the unpaid taxes as the man who bought it was now disabled.....otherwise there was nearly $600 in taxes due!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: No tittle
Reply #16 - 06/30/19 at 23:11:39

Vermont will issue a new title, even if your applying from out of State. A friend of mine living in SC did this two years ago with an old 200 Twinstar.

The link below should help you out. Here's a quote from the site ..

"If you purchase a vehicle that does not have a title, it can be a little tricky to get one. Fortunately, there is a legal loop-hole to eventually obtain one:

- Vermont will issue you a registration and license plate regardless of if you live in VT or bought the vehicle in VT. So, this is sufficient to drive around legally in any state.

- Once you have the VT registration, you can then transfer it into your state at an “auto tags” business, and apply for a title / registration in your state.

- The reason this works is because VT only titles vehicles 15 years and newer. So, for an old motorcycle or old car, there would be no VT title at all… so your state will recognize this, and will issue you a new title for your state. It’s a big loop hole, but it works.

- I’ve heard some states (such as NJ) can be a little finicky about transferring VT registrations into their state and applying for a title… but Pennsylvania obviously doesn’t care."

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No tittle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.