Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve adjustment questions. Help, please. (Read 140 times)
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve adjustment questions. Help, please.
06/22/19 at 09:04:30

I followed the the valve adjustment procedure per this site, but now I'm afraid I did it wrong.  Started the bike up and now it sounds like a ticking sound coming from the engine.  I remember a ticking, sewing-machine sound before the valve adjustment, but now it seems louder.  

I'm no mechanic, whatsoever.

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Valve adjustment questions. Help, please.
Reply #1 - 06/22/19 at 09:16:33

The ticking sound is important.
Otherwise the valves are too tight.
Did you put a 90 degree screwdriver in the adjuster to keep it from moving while you snugged the jam nut?
If the threads are sloppy, when you snug the nut it can increase the clearance between the cam and lifter by sucking the adjuster up, tight in the threads. Minimal change there, but if it's already on the loose side, it's just a bit looser.
What feeler gauge did you use?
Except for the ticking, how is it running?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/22/19 at 09:28:35

No I did not put a 90 degree screwdriver in the adjuster.  I used 0.004 / 0.10 mm feeler gauge.

Seems to run fine, other than the ticking.  Haven't put it on the road yet, just started on the stand.

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/22/19 at 10:02:00

I just re-read my reply and here is what I wanted to say: I did not use a screwdriver in the adjuster to keep it from moving, I left the gauge in place while tightening the jam nut.  The gauge I used was 0.004 / 0.10 mm.  Run fine, except for the ticking.  Haven't put her on the road yet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/22/19 at 12:50:14

When you pulled the feeler gauge out, if it was too tight to slip it back in, you may have accidentally tightened the adjuster as the jam nut was tightened.
IIRC, four thousandths is the tight end of the adjustment.
Wait for others to respond before you start kicking yourself..
You may be fine.
I always slide my feeler gauge around in there and see what it feels like before I pull it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/22/19 at 13:49:41

Just rode it about four miles to test it.  Other than the ticking, she seems to run great.

Thanks Justin for your responses.  Doing the valve adjustment made me a nervous wreck...just don't want to screw it up.

I bought this bike because I want to maintain it myself, even though I'm nothing close to a mechanic.

This site persuaded me that I could maintain it myself, thanks to the members and all their combined experience.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/22/19 at 14:13:17

Get yourself a couple different manuals , read both  before doing a repair and then if your unsure ask your questions here. You have stumbled on to a great forum with even greater members. Welcome.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/22/19 at 19:07:53

A loose adjustment may make a bit more noise ,but it doesn't hurt anything ,(it may even provide a bit better performance at mid rpm /legal highway speeds)  valve adjustment that is, to quite /to tight may not allow the valves to close fully and burn or warp ( they need to close as this is how they cool. giving up heat to the head thru the valve seats) valves set tighter than the .005 the books call for ,say .003 -.004 may provide a very slight increase in top speed due to the lift of the valve being higher ,but would be hardly noticed, and not something I would advise until your more at ease with setting them.
   the Clymer book tells you to rotate the motor clockwise to TDC and is incorrect. the motor should be rotated in the same direction as the wheels turn to TDC , CCW.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/22/19 at 23:51:58

Thanks for the replies.  I definitely turned the engine CCW to TDC, as advised.

I'm gonna run her like she is for a spell and see how I like it.  I can readjust if I want/ need.

I have plans for this bike, so i'm sure I'll more questions in the future.  I'm glad there is such a great community that loves these bikes as much as I love mine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/23/19 at 08:23:34

Doing the valve adjustment made me a nervous wreck...just don't want to screw it up.

I remember my first time..

I decided I just had to go back in a week or so later. I got worried about the jam nuts.
Lotsa worry, lotsa hassle
FerNuthin.

Pick up an offset screwdriver.
They are not worth much as a tool, but they sure are handy for this job.
I grind the Phillips end to a flathead running opposite the other.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/23/19 at 09:23:42

Or a couple of old allen wrenches  ,ground as JOG described above.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/24/19 at 07:19:12

Good ideas on the offset screwdriver and allen's.

When researching for a motorcycle to buy (took about four months to decide on the S40) I ran across this site and could tell the was a wealth of knowledge here.  I did a lot of lurking, but suzukisavage.com was the tipping point to purchase the S40.  I could learn to ride (I've only had my endorsement for about a year) and maintain my bike myself.

My good friend I ride with has a Road King and he's always preaching Harley.  Now don't get me wrong, Harley makes fine motorcycles, I just don't want one.  Why?  Because everyone has one.  Probably 80% of the bikes I see are Harley.  I have yet to see a Savage or S40.

These bikes are special.  I may someday get another bike, but I will always have my S40 and I'll pass her down.

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/01/19 at 20:25:17

After a failed first attempt at adjusting my valves, I splashed out and bought a set of the "Motion Pro 08-0073 Tappet Tool Set" off Amazon. These have made the job a breeze.

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/02/19 at 02:33:30

Good call, Junker.  I was debating on buying these prior to adjustment and just ordered the set with some different feeler gauges. Thanks.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #14 - 07/02/19 at 04:36:16

As the Guzzi guys say "If you don't hear them (the valves) there is something wrong"

But seriously not to chase rabbits down the hole, I assume you left the exhaust valve lifter untouched?

If I am not mistaken (I have been wrong many times) that can give a tapping sound?
(Others on this sight have more knowledge and can say if I am correct or not)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 16:43:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve adjustment questions. Help, please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.