Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
looking for info on carb or direct fit carb (Read 248 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: looking for info on carb or direct fit carb
Reply #15 - 06/14/19 at 09:43:13

You are saying it pops and bangs when you try to go over half throttle?

And this problem is happening no matter what jetting you had in there?

Did, it run properly before the mods were done or did you get the bike in that condition?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/14/19 at 09:50:55

bbcwby wrote on 06/13/19 at 08:57:58:
ok everyone here is what has been done, screaming eagle exhaust, timing chain update, ryca k&n filter...

Don't know about the exhaust.

Timing chain might have been installed wrong...timing is off.

Some filters block the airports at the intake.

If you slide shows signs of wear, it could be sticking which causes a very lean condition. The butterfly valve at the front of the carb opens allowing more air into the engine which creates more vacuum, which SHOULD raise the needle/slide allowing more fuel to mix with the air flowing through the carb.  If that side sticks, you get a lot of air with very little fuel.

It's hard to say without knowing the history of how it ran, how many of those mods were done at once, etc

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/14/19 at 10:00:16

Varsey pretty much summed up most of the problem areas.  It could be electrical, I remember someone buying a used igniter off of me and it seemed to solve a similar problem, but would rule out the carb first.  I had problems with my slide and it created some interesting problems that could easily be confused with plenty of unrelated issues.

IP Logged
bbcwby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/14/19 at 10:46:14

ohio wow thats alot of info haha, lets see if i can answer all these

You are saying it pops and bangs when you try to go over half throttle?
YES
And this problem is happening no matter what jetting you had in there?
YES
Did, it run properly before the mods were done or did you get the bike in that condition?
OK ON THIS ONE ALOT OF MODS WERE DONE BEFORE I GOT THE BIKE SO I CANT TELL YOU, I DO KNOW THAT THE WHITE SPACER MOD WAS DONE WRONG.

ok no more yelling haha
on the filter, I am using the original black plastic pipe that came on it then that goes into the ryca 90 and then the filter. On the diaphragm slide it does look worn, I am trying to find a new one and not used. the things I am going to replace this go around are the choke assy because its bent, the white spacer,i am going back to it and the ignition coil. Its so hard to tell with me buying this thing used and it was not taken care of at all. Thats why I really wanted to just replace the carb with an aftermarket one But I cant seem to find one that even comes close to fitting correctly

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/14/19 at 12:43:22

Right on, so you really don't know when this bike ran properly and if any of the mods are related.  

FILTER, check.
BENT CHOKE ASSEMBLY??  That could be an issue.
SLIDE looks worn was an issue for me. (I got mine from partzilla.com)
I would hold off on electrical stuff for now.
Aftermarket carb, LANCER on here sells a properly jetted kit.

The used bike that had some carb work done...make sure the air jets on to are the correct size AND I would consider buying a stock needle with the white spacer just in case they put the wrong one in.

You want to rule out the carb, before throwing money at electronics IMO.

Also helps if you tell us the year and mileage of the bike.  

IP Logged
bbcwby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/14/19 at 13:29:38

Ohio you've been a great help.
No I bought this bike and it was in sad shape, no fenders, flat drag bar, wiring was a mess, white spacer mod not done correctly and the tank was barely on. ( If I could figure out how to put pics on this thing i would show you before and after. ha ha, Yes the choke is bent and I just rode it home with it kinda propped open and it did a little better. Ok I get a slide on order and just go ahead and change it because I will be right there doing the reverse white spacer mod. I will hold off on the coil for now, and I am new to this site so I will try to find lancer as a last option if this 22 year old carb is just trash. I put stock air mix needle back in already.
Ya sorry I didnt say year and miles but its a 1996 with 13000
again everyone has been so amazing and very very helpful.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 06/15/19 at 20:02:44

Bent choke stem, it's soft brass ,you don't have to call on superman to bend back straight. nothing to lose it's already bent. The direct fit carb is the one you presently have,  changing to an after market carb opens up a new can of worms. You've added a more open air filter ,an unknowingly tuned your intake by extending the passageway from the filter to the intake valve ( that's not bad, but it acts like turbo charging in some rpm ranges which can produce 4 to 7 % boost in fuel air flow) that and a less restrictive muffler ,increases air flow thru the motor , which requires adding more fuel , the stock jetting will probably be to lean. The jetting you ran after the carb rebuild was probably to rich, Your elevation is 951.65 ft above sea level , I would suggest 52.5/ 150 and 3 # 4 steel machine screw for the spacer mod(and retuning the air mix screw) as a starting point . Ohiomoto would probably not but his bike is stock. If you suspect the coil  I would try electrical tape on the coil wire to the sparkplug ( there may be cracks) as higher speeds require higher voltages to jump across the plug gap.( you could run the bike in the dark and might be able to see if the spark is jumping to ground on the head .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/16/19 at 06:04:11

My bike is a 96 with similar milage and the carb works perfectly fine.  The only thing that I replaced was the slide, float needle, and a few jets for tuning purposes.  And Batman's suggestions are fine, but I'm a fan of starting with stock jetting (and his recommendations are close enough to it) because you know it should at least run okay with stock jets, even with some mods.

If you get a new slide, make sure you clean the carb body where is slides.  Mine had some of the black coating from the slide built up on it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 06/17/19 at 04:43:46

And spray the black coating on the outside of the slide itself ,don't even leave a fingerprint on it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stranglefoot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/17/19 at 16:51:25

Are you shure that the fuel petcock is ok?
Our 650 savage did like this when the petcock was bad. Replace it with a manual raptor 660 fuelcock. Theese vacum operated ones seems to break easily.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/18/19 at 05:45:53

stranglefoot wrote on 06/17/19 at 16:51:25:
Are you shure that the fuel petcock is ok?
Our 650 savage did like this when the petcock was bad. Replace it with a manual raptor 660 fuelcock. Theese vacum operated ones seems to break easily.
------------------------------------------

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very good point!  I had to go back and read everything again and the OP never said anything about the petcock nor did we ask????  That's usually the first thing that gets pointed out. Hard to believe we all missed that.

Embarrassed

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 06/18/19 at 07:36:45

Have you tried putting the petcock on prime and ride it ?
If it runs well on prime you need to get a Raptor.

IP Logged
stranglefoot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/18/19 at 08:46:47

LANCER wrote on 06/18/19 at 07:36:45:

+1 to that one!
It worked for me!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 06/19/19 at 02:47:13

stranglefoot wrote on 06/18/19 at 08:46:47:
LANCER wrote on 06/18/19 at 07:36:45:

+1 to that one!
It worked for me!

😉 👍

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:20:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › looking for info on carb or direct fit carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!