Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike starting doing weird stuff (Read 98 times)
Svmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike starting doing weird stuff
05/31/19 at 06:20:40

Hey guys, i look through the page and haven't found a topic with the same problem. I bought my 1993 savage a month ago. It ran perfectly. I went for rides. All good. Sometimes when i turned it off the pipe did *pow* but i didn't mind. So lately i couldn't take off the choke or it would die. I read on here that my carbs needed cleaning so i used wynns carb cleaner in the tank. And that helped. Bike ran again, took choke off. And then on a ride it just died. I had to go slow, switched gears down and dead. It started again but it felt drowned. So i let it run for a while, until i felt sure it was running good again, get on, put it in first, try to ride away, dead. I'm going to do a full carb revision anyway, parts are on the way, but it somehow feels like that's not it.. anyone ever encounter this? If i want to start it now, a couple days later, it starts perfectly. No choke after 20 seconds. Rides perfectly, until i shift to lower gears. So weird.. anyone have some advice for a new girl mechanic?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike starting doing weird stuff
Reply #1 - 05/31/19 at 06:34:10

Everyone and their mother here is going to tell you to change out that petcock since the stock one is doomed to fail.

Use the genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock not some eBay cheapie.

There's more troubleshooting to go through but I will let the professionals get you started with that.

IP Logged
Svmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/19 at 06:38:21

Hey thanks for the advice. Will any year fit? Does it have to be a certain year?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/31/19 at 06:42:22

First, DO NOT swap out or change anything in the carb until you have resolved the issue or proven that the issue requires the carb to be replaced.

That said, it sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue and your bike is starving for fuel at low speeds or gears.  The first thing is to test/replace the fuel petcock if it is stock.  Next would be to make sure the diaphragm/slide assembly is functioning as it should.   Next would be things like float level and jetting BUT those things don't just change themselves and you said that the bike "ran perfectly".  So DO NOT go mucking around with that stuff until you have ruled out the other items.

Personally, I'm betting it's related to the stock vacuum operated fuel petcock if it hasn't been replaced with a raptor.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/31/19 at 06:42:49

Raptor 660 part number 5LP-24500-01

It is a simple fix, but just for information sake here is a detailed thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Also have you tried leaving the stock petcock on "Prime"?

IP Logged
Svmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/31/19 at 10:43:25

Is that just the open position? As far as i know it's always just been open

IP Logged
Svmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/31/19 at 10:45:54

https://nl-m.banggood.com/Fuel-Gas-Petrol-Petcock-Switch-Pump-for-Yamaha-Raptor-
2001-02-03-04-05-p-79956.html?gmcCountry=BE&currency=EUR&cur_warehouse=CN&create
Tmp=1&ID=48084&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=garman&
utm_campaign=pla-beg-a-m-mb&ad_id=350358838023&gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf95
cjKdeKDKEMxoYseREDetFWlDye6S3jSSnGwgl_c4HTq-QIqW_cm0aAsz1EALw_wcB

Would this be the right one?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/31/19 at 10:48:22

IP Logged
Svmh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/31/19 at 10:56:46

I'm in Europe. Checked those links but shipping is very expensive. I'll try to find it in Europe

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/31/19 at 11:19:37

Don't use an inline fuel filter , it's unneeded and can cause similar problems.  If when you cleaned the carb, and disassembled it,  you need to be sure you have the brass washer in place on the main jet and that you didn't switch the main jet with the air jet that goes on top side under the slide .and that the slide is clean (no fingerprints) and that diaphragm is positioned right (it only fits one way ) and that you push the square rib on it's outside edge into the groove in the upper body, before replacing the spring and top cap . the float in the bowl must also be adjusted to the proper height. It's better to clean the stock parts than to order a rebuild kit ,as many of these kit arrive with the wrong jets as well as other parts , I have a 95 I've owned since new and have never replaced any stock parts ,except the main jet -for tuning.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/01/19 at 14:46:28

Go to a Yamaha Dealer and quote the part number in Eegore's post.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:01:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike starting doing weird stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.