Blue Header (Read 185 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Blue Header
05/28/19 at 21:02:28

What do those who know think. There is a 2014 Savage for sale near me with 44 miles on the clock, do you think that's possible given the header looks like it does? If so how could that happen in so few miles? Story is, it has been sitting.

Untitled_031.jpg
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Blue Header
Reply #1 - 05/28/19 at 21:15:30

They run really lean from the factory, and doesn't take much to blue that bend.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/29/19 at 03:40:19

When I see a header that blue - I believe the owner starts the bike and lets it idle for long period of time.  Some folks believe that letting the bike warm up before they go for a ride is good.....and they could also be starting the bike regularly during the winter to charge the battery and warm the engine up.  When the bike is idling at a stand still there is no air flow over the header, and it can get very hot....especially if the idle speed is increased for the warm up.  Riding in city traffic with lots of idle time can also contribute to blue pipes.

If the owner let the bike idle for long periods of time while leaned over on the side stand.....it can damage the right side (exhaust) cam lobe.

With only 44 miles on the bike - I seriously doubt if that blue came from riding in traffic.....it likely was started and idled frequently.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 05/29/19 at 08:02:43

Thanks for the info, The person selling it claims it was a barn find, some story about owner buying bike having never rode and having a mishap that spooked them enough to never ride again. Probably was started and idled periodically.

I follow the start and ride theory, get on road asap, with little time for warm up. Even in winter when I take it out on warm day, start it, pull away and hit the limited access highway behind the shop for a 8 mile run to the end and turn around and back. That's enough to charge the battery, pump up some oil and blow some fresh gas through the carb.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/29/19 at 08:07:02

If you doubt the 44 miles.....look at the tires.  I would expect to see all of the little nubs still on the front tire, and the rear tire would likely still have most of them - maybe the nubs on the center of the rear tire would be worn a bit.

If the price was right I would likely buy it, and pull the head cover off to inspect the cam/rockers and install a Versy head plug.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/29/19 at 09:53:21

Some sitting still and racking the gas will do that in under a minute.
My chrome went from shiny ,bright new looking to about like that one day when I was trying to listen to the valves, before I adjusted them.
I'd be concerned about the cam, but if it's cheap enough, I'd grab it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 05/29/19 at 14:51:47

My Thumpy needs warm up time or I get grouchy throttle. But Thumpy tells me how much warm up is needed. Says when to turn off choke. Says when it’s time to ride. Ride your bikes enough and after awhile you just understand what they are saying.

Regarding the blue, after putting new jets and tuning my blue went away on its own and turned gold. Then the rust started setting in. Then I wrapped the sucker. Now I could care less.
Wrap the crap. Enjoy not caring. And enjoy the reduction in noise from header resonance.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/30/19 at 06:34:02

Thumpy should be able to fire up on full choke and then run down the road on half choke for a bit until it warms up.  

My bike never sits still on startup for more than 5 seconds.  Even in temps below 40.  

Fire it up and ride it!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 05/30/19 at 12:16:55

I get sputtery throttle response unless I give warmup time. That time varies greatly with temperature and humidity. On very nice days I can turn off choke right after firing up and be underway in less than 10 secs.
Once the engine has run I don't need choke or warmup for the rest of the day.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/31/19 at 04:07:49

ALL properly-jetted IC engines require choke and warmup time until the engine comes up to operating temperature.

My wife's bike requires full choke when cold followed by the two additional choke positions over the course of a minute or two depending on ambient air temperature.  In the summer the entire choke cycle might take only a minute.  In the fall or spring it will take longer.

No matter what the ambient air temperature both bikes are left to idle for a minute or two once off choke.  Until either engine comes up to operating temperature both are lean at part-throttle and this is normal.

Same for all the dirt bikes. And autos with carbs.  And boats with carbs.  And...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/31/19 at 11:36:00

If that's true, something is in need of correction. Even the crappiest lawnmower I've had didn't require that kinda pampering. I start it on cooler days with full choke and ride away. I drop the choke to first adjustment after a couple of miles, and then no choke in a couple more. Is the idle set high enough? That's only determinable once it's at full operating temperature.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/31/19 at 12:02:37

VortecCPI wrote on 05/31/19 at 04:07:49:
ALL properly-jetted IC engines require choke and warmup time until the engine comes up to operating temperature.

I had a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, and from the factory the jetting is so lean - that it took more than 5 minutes of idling and choke before you could even attempt to ride the bike.  Everyone needed to do the "Dr. Jekyll" fix - which involved new jets and idle fuel screw adjustments.  If you attempted to ride the bike before it was "ready" - the bike would just cough and die when you attempted to add any throttle.

If your bike can't be started and ridden with light throttle application within a minute warmup - then it is on the ragged edge of being too lean on either the pilot jet or needle  (main jet doesn't affect low throttle settings)........if you need to use a bit of choke for a mile or two that is OK - just don't forget to turn it off.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 05/31/19 at 12:33:42

Even my EFI equipped Ducati needs warm up time or futzy throttle response for the 1st couple miles.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 05/31/19 at 12:34:18

Funny thing is, most on here would argue I'm running lean with my 47 pilot and 147 main.  I often ride my to work in sub 40-degree weather.  I fire it up on full choke, immediately put it on half choke, put it into gear and go.  After a mile or so, it's warm enough to run without any choke. 

I've done this every morning the weather allows me to commute to work for the past 3 years without issues.   (I generally ride if temps are above 35 in the morning IF they will be above 50 for the ride home.)   Maybe my bike isn't lean enough.  LOL  

BTW, my header isn't blue either.   Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/31/19 at 13:53:37

AT those temperatures your
" header" should be blue.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 16:46:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue Header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.