adversity score (Read 48 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
adversity score
05/22/19 at 15:32:45

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-board-is-adding-adversity-score-to-sa...

How you feel about this?

College Board, the New York nonprofit that administers the test, rolled out a beta version to 50 colleges last year and found it led to greater nonwhite student enrollment, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Adversity scores will be measured on a scale of 1 to 100, with under 50 indicating privilege and over 50 indicating socioeconomic hardship. The score will be invisible to students — it will be reported only to college officials, according to The New York Times. The Journal reported that race will not be a factor in the score.

Notice the glaring contradictions?
I feel sorry for kids these days.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: adversity score
Reply #1 - 05/22/19 at 15:50:02

Call me crazy, but I thought an "A" was an "A".

No, the whole college-admissions scandal happened because the universities knew about the backgrounds of the students.

What they should be doing is looking at test scores and extracurriculars - and that's it.

Affirmative action does not work.  Only a level playing field does.

IMHO

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/22/19 at 16:51:39

I'm not sure what to think about these types of changes other that it's good to experiment, and it's good to make changes as long as the process is reviewed, by third party, to see if it works.

Companies still use the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator, or "Personality Test" even though it's been considered anecdotal nonsense for decades.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 05/22/19 at 17:07:10

But if people are gaming the SAT exams what’s to stop them from gaming this adversity score?

And assuming it actually works as advertised why not share the information with the high school teachers to help them with identifying the students who deserve more encouragement?

It’s in the best interest of for profit universities to select the most monied students and this gives them the advantage in that selection process.

They ought to do away with standardized testing altogether.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 05/23/19 at 10:59:10

T And T Garage wrote on 05/22/19 at 15:50:02:
 Affirmative action does not work.  

OMG, Really, You actually SAID that !!!!

Just to be clear, before tt calls me, 'racist',
Don't CARE, what color, religion, etc a person is.
DO CARE, that 'Affirmative action', has become,
'Hire someone, BECAUSE of the color of skin, Religion, Sexual preference, gender, etc..
NOT, hire the person that is the Best Qualified for the job.

OMG.  I think that is the FIRST time,
that I have agreed with you.

'Buddy'

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/23/19 at 11:42:24

MnSpring wrote on 05/23/19 at 10:59:10:

'Hire someone, BECAUSE of the color of skin, Religion, Sexual preference, gender, etc..

'Buddy'

Pay attention mn - that's not the first time I said that.

And please know - I will never... ever.. be your "buddy".

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 05/23/19 at 12:13:59

Schools have failed, PERIOD

When we tried to use schools as proxy parents, social engineering, etc, they became of what the framers feared, and why they offered the separation clause, because driven solely by faith/belief, any given cause or agenda, will surely invite opposition.....
Now the children are pawns in a war of opposing views/beliefs, and have suffered greatly.

We need to go back to the basics, as well as teaching trades and occupations, and advanced schooling, at no cost to students or parents....
It is so much cheaper to pay for schooling than it is for incarceration, rehabilitation, or welfare.

Like race, gender, etc, what should be a low level dialogue and exchange between folks, has been co-opted and used as a wedge issue by those seeking their own power and welfare concerns.  

Teach.....make productive citizen, stop.
Let them figure out if they are democrat or republican.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 05/23/19 at 12:15:30

T And T Garage wrote on 05/23/19 at 11:42:24:
MnSpring wrote on 05/23/19 at 10:59:10:

'Buddy'

Pay attention mn - that's not the first time I said that.

And please know - I will never... ever.. be your "buddy".

BUDDY....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....I LOVE YOU, BUDDY  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/23/19 at 13:09:20

raydawg wrote on 05/23/19 at 12:15:30:
BUDDY....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....BUDDY.....I LOVE YOU, BUDDY  Kiss

You must love rejection....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 05/23/19 at 15:34:58

raydawg wrote on 05/23/19 at 12:13:59:
Schools have failed, PERIOD

When we tried to use schools as proxy parents, social engineering, etc, they became of what the framers feared, and why they offered the separation clause, because driven solely by faith/belief, any given cause or agenda, will surely invite opposition.....
Now the children are pawns in a war of opposing views/beliefs, and have suffered greatly.

We need to go back to the basics, as well as teaching trades and occupations, and advanced schooling, at no cost to students or parents....
It is so much cheaper to pay for schooling than it is for incarceration, rehabilitation, or welfare.

Like race, gender, etc, what should be a low level dialogue and exchange between folks, has been co-opted and used as a wedge issue by those seeking their own power and welfare concerns.  

Teach.....make productive citizen, stop.
Let them figure out if they are democrat or republican.  

I have a 16 Y/O in high school and it’s incredibly disturbing how much energy that the so called schools are putting into straight up political indoctrination. In some scary part of my head I actually feel empathy for the school shooters. As a kid all I had to worry about in school was whether I was a jock or a townie living in rural areas. In the city it was easier, am I white and speak English or not. These simple comparisons were all it took to know who you had to fight with.
I often wonder if the kids these days just get so confused about who to consider bad they just make it easy on themselves and choose everyone else. Or maybe it’s because they’re being guilt tripped into hating themselves?

Anyway, each and every individual child is just that, an individual. No statistical modeling or computer algorithms are ever going to understand this. The more they try abstracting and sorting them the more slip through the cracks. And the more of them become shooters.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/23/19 at 16:18:12

I was wondering about this part:

"I often wonder if the kids these days just get so confused about who to consider bad they just make it easy on themselves and choose everyone else. Or maybe it’s because they’re being guilt tripped into hating themselves?"

This assumes that children should consider some other children bad as I read it.  This is based off the previous section indicating:

"These simple comparisons were all it took to know who you had to fight with."

"Had" being the operative word.  As in "Must", or as in "Available"?

Are you indicating children must find someone to consider bad?  I ask as a lot of school programs are tolerance based and are attempting to reduce the labeling process.

As for school shooters and bullying/identifying victim vs. antagonist, I think the issue is more related to modern technology inundating every aspect of an adolescent's life.  Used to be a time where the bully was at or around school, not in your home, your hobbies, your phone, your social groups etc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 06:17:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › adversity score

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.