Send Topic Print
Decompression unit (Read 110 times)
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Decompression unit
05/14/19 at 13:12:46

As long as I have a decent battery, will there be any problem with removing the decompression unit ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Decompression unit
Reply #1 - 05/14/19 at 13:59:03

As long as you have a manual lever as backup, probably not.
There are instances where you'll need to be able to throw it.
Unless you position the engine on the exhaust stroke you will have trouble push starting.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 05/14/19 at 14:37:27

Push starting a thumper , stick it in first gear , pull the bike backwards till it stops , this gets piston just past TDC , pull clutch in and go for it and don't forget to turn the key on. Yup I own BSAs too !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/14/19 at 15:11:45

I would not try rolling the bike backward if it's older than 1995 ,you could damage the starter gear train ,  much better in any case to squeeze in the clutch , roll the bike forward, in gear , pop the clutch , forcing  the piston past TDC,  giving the motor over 1.5 revolutions (time to gather speed) before the next compression stroke.
  What will work for a BSA ,will not work for the Savage as our motor rotation  is opposite.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 05/14/19 at 17:25:25

Batman,
I think we need the judges ruling on that. BSA rotates backwards?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/14/19 at 18:33:44

Isn't it Harleys that if you push in backwards the kickstart gear will engage?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/14/19 at 18:34:59

The first summer of riding my Cafe' bike - I discovered the handlebar mounted lever that I made using a Honda choke lever was not sufficient, as it did not have enough leverage to pull the exhaust valves open if they were closed.....so my decompression release was "non-functional".

The good news is that most of the time it didn't matter, as the engine would start easily without it.  Every now and then the piston would stop on the compression stroke, and when I tried to start the bike the Wiseco piston would come up on the compression stroke and stop turning - I would instantly let go of the starter button, put the bike in first gear, gently rock it backward until it stopped moving (as Ruttly does also), then pull in the clutch and hit the starter button......and it would fire right up.

I realize that Verslagen and Batman don't like pulling the bike backward.  However I believe pulling the back backward gently engages the starter clutch and rotates the starter with far less stress than the violent kickback that breaks the starter gears and the engine case.  Rotating the engine backwards for 1.5 rotations until you feel the resistance does a few things:  (1) It pulls on the backside of the cam chain - which happens every time the engine comes to stop with a valve on the back side of the cam lobe.....and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. (2) It runs the oil pump backwards for a few turns....that doesn't seem to cause any problems. (3) It turns the starter slowly and probably puts far less stress on any of the parts than the system experiences when you use the starter to spin the engine over.....so nothing breaks or gets out of wack.  

Going a summer without a working compression release was OK - but I really don't recommend it...I built a functioning compression release the next winter and it has been working fine.  When you ride without a compression release - it can be clumsy if you stall the bike at a traffic light - the process of getting the bike running again can take way too long for the drivers around you to accept gracefully......it might even put you in danger.

I think the compression release should be one that you can use with a few fingers on the clutch and one to operate the compression release - so you can start the bike in gear if you stall the bike in traffic you can get moving again in a hurry.  You just pull in the clutch, pull the compression release, hit the starter button, release the compression release, motor starts....let go of the starter button and apply throttle and let out the clutch smoothly and get moving - it sounds complicated but only takes a few seconds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 05/14/19 at 20:09:12

Good info there. Thanks Dave, and everyone.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/14/19 at 20:30:05

I may be  wrong , if so I ASSURE  you  it is not the first time ,and will hardly be the last. Having the stock decomp unit I must admit having never experienced this problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 05/15/19 at 11:55:00

I don't have the specifics but i remember the compression release/s being very easy to operate on British bikes. Just like the one on the Yamaha SR400?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/19/19 at 12:24:33

norm92de wrote on 05/15/19 at 11:55:00:
I don't have the specifics but i remember the compression release/s being very easy to operate on British bikes. Just like the one on the Yamaha SR400?

Some bikes had a small hole drilled into the cylinder wall part way up the cylinder.....and pulling the compression release opened a valve that allowed air to escape while the piston was on the way up.  The spring was light and easy to open the valve.....it could have a very small lever.  Some other bikes had a similar valve in the head - some have mechanical devices on the camshaft that work automatically and are disengaged once the cam is spinning.

The device on the Savage holds the exhaust valves open - if they are not in the open position when you pull the lever.....it takes a lot of force to lift them off the valve seats.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 23:25:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression unit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.