Send Topic Print
Unknown defect (Read 227 times)
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Unknown defect
05/15/19 at 22:51:06

Hello all, new Savage owner here. I recently acquired a 2007 model back last October. It had 1,525 miles at the time and a jardine exhaust, k&n air filter, and the stock petcock. I put about 1400 miles on it before I ran into my first problem,  It started leak fuel from the carburetor around the meeting point of the float bowl and carb. I examined the forums and determined it was the petcock, and possibly a stuck float needle.  I verified that the petcock was failing and just applied a raptor model and also took apart the carb to give it a cleaning. I found pieces of the float bowl gasket at the bottom of the bowl so I replaced the gasket ,cleaned the valves and needles and put everything back on the bike. Then I started her up and low and behold, more problems. The leaking was gone. She would idle in neutral fine but at any point I give some throttle it becomes inconsistent and will not stay steady. I also took her for  ride and found that I have to baby the throttle up to each gear. If at any point  I give more than a quarter of throttle she will bog or chug, and  then die  and there is not a gain of  speed or power while th I have been going crazy over this and any  advice would be useful. She also stumbles and dies when of I pull the choke at all. thank you for your time and consideration.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Unknown defect
Reply #1 - 05/15/19 at 23:01:35

Where did you get the
raptor model  Petcock and what did you pay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/16/19 at 04:19:24

It was from Amazon, I googled a part number that was mentioned in forums , and total was around $36. Sticker says " genuine yamaha parts and accessories, part # 5LP-24500-01

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/16/19 at 06:01:01

Pieces of the bowl gasket in the bottom ?
Perhaps you have some tiny pieces of the gasket now clogging jets or passageways in the carb ?
If so, you would need to pull it again and blow out all passages with compressed air and blast them with carb cleaner.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/16/19 at 06:16:01

Did you remove the diaphragm/slide from the top of the carb?  If you did, I'm pretty sure you didn't seat the diaphragm properly and the slide is not opening.   I bet your top speed is about 20mph.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #5 - 05/16/19 at 06:21:56

Check that the inner rubber of the air filter is not blocking any of the small chambers in the carb. It may have been modified to attach in a certain position. Try with the air filter off. KN and KN type can have different inner rubber shapes.

IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/16/19 at 06:55:58

@Lancer, I have completely disassembled the Carb and cleaned it out. Regarding the improperly placed diaphragm and air filter, i will definitely check those, as when attempting to ride it did not clear 20 mph as far as i could tell. I appreciate the quick responses.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/16/19 at 09:00:55

There are a number of common errors encountered while cleaning a carb.
make sure the jets were put back in the right location... it's common to swap an air jet on top of the carb (230?) for the main (145 to 165)
It's common to not replace the washer under the main jet.
It's common to leave finger prints on the slide or misplace the diaphragm or spring.
It's common to assemble the needle assembly incorrectly/plate upside-down/plate reversed.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/16/19 at 09:03:47

Ransom66 wrote on 05/16/19 at 04:19:24:
It was from Amazon, I googled a part number that was mentioned in forums , and total was around $36. Sticker says " genuine yamaha parts and accessories, part # 5LP-24500-01

Sounds like you got the right one.
I'm gonna go with the idea that something got into a passageway.
Odd that the choke, adding fuel, kills it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 05/16/19 at 10:44:41

Not odd at all.  If I pull the choke on my bike once it's warmed up it will die.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/16/19 at 14:34:58

It's odd to me because I've been thinking it's running lean.

IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/16/19 at 17:48:27

Something I forgot to mention where the jet #s. I have a 165 main and a 55 pilot that came with the bike. Is it possible that with the new petcock it is overly rich?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/16/19 at 18:23:35

Did you forget to set the float level adjustment ,before replacing the fuel bowl? If the PO did work on the intake and exhaust ,I would take the time to see, or tell us .  what you or he  did ,  for the spacer mod, and your elevation above sea level.  Jet sizes?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/16/19 at 19:24:14

165 main and a 55 pilot..
Seems a bit chubby

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 05/17/19 at 05:41:19

Way fat...but...it was running that way before so leave it alone for now.  Check that the diaphragm is seated.  The slide won't open if it's not, but the bike will still run, but not fully functioning.  

The butterfly valve is opened via the throttle cable, it will allow the engine to pull more vacuum which is supposed to open the slide.  If the slide doesn't open, the increased vacuum will simply pull as much fuel as it can get from the carb, which is just enough to run terribly.  You may also be getting a partial vacuum and the slide simply won't fully open.

Always backtrack on these issues.  You had the carb apart, the problem is most likely in there.  The diaphragm is a pretty easy thing to mess up.  If you really want to test it, pull the airbox and boot.  Then run the engine and see if the slide opens with the throttle input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 01:44:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unknown defect

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.