Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best year engine? (Read 160 times)
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Best year engine?
05/08/19 at 21:34:19

Are certain years engines better than others?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Best year engine?
Reply #1 - 05/08/19 at 22:42:20

The answer to that question is rather subjective, that is in most cases it is based on opinion ,rather than provable fact. some think the early 4 speed bikes obtained their top speed faster ,this could be true due to their slight difference in transmission gearing and larger main jet and carb throttle plate( often termed the big carb). earlier bikes seem to have cam chains that don't stretch as fast as newer bikes ,but a lot of this may depend on how they are operated and if at some point there was a change in supplier  . Bikes 96 and newer have the anti-kickback gear in the starter gear train , which will not make them perform better, but will make them more reliable. Small manufacturing tolerances are present in every part that goes into a motor , and as they accrue  , you may have two motors built side by side , that have slightly different performance levels. In my opinion the answer to your question is no, not that I'm aware of.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/09/19 at 00:54:14

The 96 and later engine with the improved starter gear is a big plus, as early engines can be damaged if/when the engine kicks backward.

Somewhere around 2005 the rocker arms got a hardened pad on the wearing surface that was not on the earlier bikes.  I have seen many damaged/worn out early rockers - I can't remember seeing any damaged rockers that had the hardened pad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/09/19 at 08:50:18

Dave wrote on 05/09/19 at 00:54:14:
The 96 and later engine with the improved starter gear is a big plus, as early engines can be damaged if/when the engine kicks backward.

This can be fixed by using the stator cover and starter torque limiter gear from later bikes.

2004 saw improved wiring in the controls that shut off the headlight during starting.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/09/19 at 10:30:01

Registered mine, it's a 94.
Harley muffler, jetted carb, nitrided cam chain, versavy tensioner.
Any idea on finding that kick back do-hickey?
How much are cams and hi comp piston installs these days, if I send a jug and head?
How much for a whole, built engine, if it'll fit in the gs450 I'm getting?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/09/19 at 10:43:59

SavageMan99 wrote on 05/09/19 at 10:30:01:
Any idea on finding that kick back do-hickey?

Ebay
search for starter gear and look at the images
and stator cover 96 or later.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 05/10/19 at 12:28:57

If you own a 95 like I do ,there are ways to avoid installing the new starter gear, and the harder rocker pads aren't needed if your rockers are in good shape and you use good oil  . I have employed neither ,and purchased my bike new in 95, and have run it every year since without damage. the relay turning off the headlight at starting ? I look at being unneeded , just another problem if it fails, why would Suzuki worry enough to add it after 18 years?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/11/19 at 04:21:52

batman wrote on 05/10/19 at 12:28:57:
The relay turning off the headlight at starting ? I look at being unneeded , just another problem if it fails, why would Suzuki worry enough to add it after 18 years?

I suppose for the same reason they built the compression release....which is not really needed for those of us that only ride when it is 50 degrees and above.

Suzuki sells this bike all over the world, and some folks ride their bikes year round for daily transportation.  Some of them may have to start their bikes on a -10 degree morning after the bike has been sitting outside for days.  Getting "all" the power from the cold battery to the cold starter may be the difference between a successful engine start or a cold walk to work.

I agree that the 1 piece rockers work fine if you use a good oil.....Youzguyz went 160,000 miles on his and is still using them.  However I have seen a lot of worn 1 piece rockers come out of the pre-2004 engines.....and so far I have not seen any 2 piece rockers that have been damaged.  I do realize the 1 piece rockers have been around a lot longer than the 2 piece - so maybe someday we will start to see worn out 2 piece rockers.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/11/19 at 07:35:21

Dave , That's quite a stretch,  a lead/acid battery sitting for days at -10 degrees  would most likely be destroyed, and even if the bike did start who would ride it even at 35 mph ,when facing a wind chill factor of -67 degrees.
          The compression release  is needed,  not only to allow you to start the bike if the piston is on the compression stroke , but to ease the amps drawn by the starter ,and thus the heat generated, which can damage it, as there is no source of cooling other than time. The stock battery is 14ah which has the power to start the bike even with the headlight on , and a battery of about 7ah is most likely what your running in your café bike.  

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #9 - 05/11/19 at 10:25:22

batman wrote on 05/11/19 at 07:35:21:
even if the bike did start who would ride it even at 35 mph ,when facing a wind chill factor of -67 degrees. 

I have never ridden in -10 weather, but I rode in single digit weather more than a few times in the 1980's. Interesting observations from that are that (1) wind chill doesn't feel any colder after you get above about 80 mph, and (2) when it is less than 10 degrees, cops will ignore a speeding motorcycle rather than get out of a nice warm cruiser just to write a speeding ticket.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/11/19 at 11:44:20

Batman.

Sorry my -10 degree example has seemed unrealistic to you - the Suzuki Savage owners manual seems to suggest the bike can be operated in temperatures as low as -20!

My point is........that Suzuki designed the bike for starting in some seriously cold weather, as the bike is sold around the world and there are no disclaimers that the bike should not be used in cold weather in the owners manual.  

And a lead acid battery has no problem surviving in -10 degree weather.....I used to live in an area where we could get temperatures down that low in the winter, and often the cold snap would last a week or two.  It has been about 30 years ago - but I even had to drive my car to work on a day when it was -25 in Cincinnati!

Most folks who are running the stock piston and installed the manual compression release never need to use it, as the bike starts just fine in summer temperatures without the compression release.  The only time I need my compression release it about 1 out of 100 attempts - if the piston is on the compression stroke when I hit the starter button it cannot push the Wiseco piston over TDC.

Oil_Chart_001_001.jpg

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/12/19 at 01:16:40

Dave , -20C   -4F

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 05/12/19 at 16:50:41

I have a 97mm WISECO piston and a manual Compression release and only very rarely do I need to use it.  The starter spins up the engine easily and quite smartly.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/12/19 at 19:35:46

SavageMan99 wrote on 05/08/19 at 21:34:19:
Are certain years engines better than others?
---------

Love the one you're with.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:28:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best year engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.