Send Topic Print
Just bought a 2013 S40 (Read 231 times)
greenplaid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just bought a 2013 S40
05/02/19 at 07:55:36

First post!  I've been riding for 3 seasons now.  Started on a Yamaha Vino 125, then sold that for a 2008 Nighthawk 250 and sold that to buy a 2013 Suzuki S40.  Huge upgrade for sure.  So the deal...

$2200 and 10 hours of driving got me a...

2013 S40
6200 miles
Dealer serviced except oil changes
Dynojet jet kit with the largest jet installed
K&N air filter
Delkevic muffler
Few Suzuki accessories
Metzler 880 and 888 tires with a few hundred miles
Also have original muffler

Hardly a scratch or spec of corrosion anywhere.

So since its had Suzuki 10-40 standard oil its whole life should I consider switching to synthetic?  I really dont know what to mod since it's so nice...maybe add an auxillary light.  Read the forum quite a bit before purchasing and it's been a great help!

Screenshot_20190425-172713_CPlus_for_Craigslist.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Just bought a 2013 S40
Reply #1 - 05/02/19 at 08:26:00

Synthetic is a good oil - but the Savage really isn't all that demanding and dino oil works fine......as long as the oils have adequate amounts of ZDDP to protect the cam and rockers from wear.

I use the Rotella T4 Dino or T6 Synthetic...works like a charm and is easy to get and is a bargain price compared to specialty oils.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/02/19 at 08:36:30

NIce clean bike.  Even I might not mod it!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/02/19 at 09:45:22

The electrical system doesn't put out much more than what the bike uses. Add a light and you can overload it and drain the battery. A voltmeter to monitor the battery condition and a switch for the added light can work out. Use it when necessary..
Changing to L.E.D.s can free up some electrons.

Ditch the oem muffler.
It's huge, heavy, restrictive, and ugly.

One of Suzukis best color schemes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
greenplaid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/02/19 at 09:54:26

I have some Castrol Power RS 4T 10-40 unused maybe I'll put that in since I own it.  Good to know about the electrics.  I thought of getting a 10watt LED and to compensate for the additional load I would use Philip's LED signal and brake bulbs.  Is there a relay that works with LED bulbs I can add or do I need a load resistor?

I'll probably sell the factory muffler since it is practically new.  I'll think about that.  I think it has a 16" Delkevic...it sounds so deep but it is a bit noisy.

Screenshot_20190502-125242_eBay.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/02/19 at 10:53:18

The top end design is old. Oils without enough zddp cause wear. Just because oil is okay with a wet clutch doesn't mean it's healthy in the savage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/03/19 at 06:08:16

Most modern motorcycle oils that are made for modern fuel injected bikes with catalyst exhaust systems has reduced amounts of ZDDP so that the oxygen sensors and catalyst are not damaged.......it could be that Castrol oil you have does not have the 1,2000 ppm of ZDDP that we like to use in the Savage.  If you can't find out how much ZDDP is in that Castrol oil....I would not use it in the Savage.

We are riding a bike that is somewhat of an antique.....and we need to be using oil that is "old school" as well.

IP Logged
greenplaid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/04/19 at 00:05:41

Looked more into the oil thing and decided to use the new Rotella T6.  Thanks for pointing out some things I had not considered.

IP Logged
greenplaid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/04/19 at 00:09:03

Also when I was looking through the papers I got with the bike I noticed one for the petcock being replaced a year into ownership.  So I ordered the Raptor one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/05/19 at 03:59:21

I don't know what your lighting goal is - but the stock headlight is small and not very good when compared to a 7" light.  Cruisers for some reason use small headlights.....it is a styling issue I guess.

If you are doing a lot of night riding that little LED you listed really won't shine any light down the road - it is a "spot" light that is made for ATV's and it will light up the road for 50' - which is not far enough to avoid hitting anything.  The light also does not have a verticla cutoff to prevent shining light into other drivers eyes (pull your bike up so it faces a wall and notice how the low beam light has a flat pattern on top....a spot light does not have this cutoff).

There are some LED bulbs you can put in your stock headlight housing that improve the amount of light.....but the pattern is still a bit lacking - but they still are worthwhile.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1546456433/5#5

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #10 - 05/06/19 at 13:38:22

Very nice and clean bike! I have an older twin of yours (minus all the mods) Grin with the same color scheme. I started with Vino 125 too!

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
greenplaid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/11/19 at 19:22:33

I tell you...that vino 125 with transmission mods was pretty fun.  But going 55 on something that small was kinda scary at times.  

Today I got the petcock in.  I just pulled the tank, flipped it and changed it out.  Tank was 3/4 full and barely any gas spilled.  Also ordered a new H4 led bulb.  I had one from Xenon Depot that was really nice but it was too tight of a fit so I spent the better part of the evening looking for a slimmer alternative.   Ended up ordering a Sealight X2S LED bub and in quite impressed.  The low is pretty even with just a small dark spot on the cutoff and the high beam is ridiculously bright.  Also I was surprised that the glare was very minimal.  And the factory dust boot fit with no cutting.

Screenshot_20190511-222151_Gallery.jpg
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 05/11/19 at 20:25:32

My advice! Leave the flipping thing alone.

Suzuki knew what they were doing. You are not going to improve the bike, it is what it is, a low performance, nice riding, cruiser type motorcycle. I love mine. Which is more or less stock.

if I wanted performance I would have bought a different bike. There are many bikes out there which can run away and hide from an S40 which do not cost much more money.  Am I missing something??

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/12/19 at 07:38:20

I'm with Norm.  You have a perfectly clean good looking bike.  

My bike has been made to look old, but other that than removing 2" from the fork tubes, slightly different jetting, the muffler, and using a different battery, my bike is 100% stock mechanically.  It works perfect for my needs.

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/12/19 at 10:07:52

norm92de wrote on 05/11/19 at 20:25:32:
Suzuki knew what they were doing. You are not going to improve the bike, it is what it is, a low performance, nice riding, cruiser type motorcycle. I love mine. Which is more or less stock.

My wife's bike has been much improved with low-buck and low-time items such as pipe, jetting, saddlebags and a set of fork springs.  Suzuki must comply with things like EPA and budgets so you get the bare minimum with a stock LS650.  It is so lean and so strangled from the factory it is ridiculous.

Besides...  Who wants to own and ride a bone-stock bike?  Turning wrenches on them and improving them is almost as much fun as riding them...

« Last Edit: 05/12/19 at 11:23:59 by VortecCPI »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just bought a 2013 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.