Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Faster Opening for Stock Carb (Drilled Slide?) (Read 108 times)
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Faster Opening for Stock Carb (Drilled Slide?)
05/13/19 at 12:10:08

Has anybody drilled the slide hole a bit larger in an attempt to get the slide to open a bit quicker?  I have got my wife's carb spot on and while it now has great throttle feel and response to large inputs it is just plain lazy compared to a slider carb.  My brother has a reworked CV carb (by Wood) on his 100-inch HD and it opens nice and quick.  I know there must be more we can get out of this carb.

I realize there are likely equal arguments with respect to drill or not drill and with respect to the slide spring and I don't want to start a huge debate.  I simply would like some feedback if you have tried it...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Faster Opening for Stock Carb (Drilled Slide?)
Reply #1 - 05/13/19 at 13:08:14

Vortec  I've done it ,and it has decreased reaction time a lot  (The reason I'm not shopping for a VM ).  It was a long time back (can't remember drill size), but I would CAUTION  anyone to go slow ,in fact I would try just slightly enlarging  one of the two holes at a time, and testing . If you go to far ,it may be hard to maintain a steady speeds on a highway ( not sure).
   being that the slide will be opening and closing faster some adjustment of the TEV  valve spring may be needed to reduce low rpm dip in the idle  and / or after fires from the muffler if the throttle is closed suddenly. This usually done by cutting 1/3 of turn of the spring coil at a time until it makes you happy, and keeping the cut end at the outside cover to protect the diaphragm  . (again -testing as needed).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/13/19 at 13:41:09

batman wrote on 05/13/19 at 13:08:14:
Vortec  I've done it ,and it has decreased reaction time a lot  (The reason I'm not shopping for a VM ).  It was a long time back (can't remember drill size), but I would CAUTION  anyone to go slow ,in fact I would try just slightly enlarging  one of the two holes at a time, and testing . If you go to far ,it may be hard to maintain a stead speeds on a highway ( not sure).
   being that the slide will be opening and closing faster some adjustment of the TEV  valve spring may be needed to reduce low rpm dip in the idle  and / or after fires from the muffler if the throttle is closed suddenly. This usually done by cutting 1/3 of turn of the spring coil at a time until it makes you happy, and keeping the cut end at the outside cover to protect the diaphragm  .

Thank you so much for feedback!  I have played with the TEV valve and got mixed results.  I tried less spring rate, spacers, etc. and in the end the difference was small.  A spacer seemed to help but when it got cold the next week it got worse so I ended up right where I started.  With a weaker spring the carb pulls from the TEV circuit at low engine speeds and runs too rich so that is not an option.  At this point I am thinking exhaust leak up front...

Right now the carb just needs to open a little faster so I will try opening the bleed hole one numbered drill bit size at a time...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/13/19 at 13:52:42

Opening the vacuum ports will make a marked difference .   adding a washer to the TEV would increase spring pressure and hold it closed . the vacuum moves through the tiny hole in the "finger" of the port ,that tiny passage may be plugged.
    I drilled through the brass plate as well.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/13/19 at 14:49:45

batman wrote on 05/13/19 at 13:52:42:
Opening the vacuum ports will make a marked difference .   adding a washer to the TEV would increase spring pressure and hold it closed . the vacuum moves through the tiny hole in the "finger" of the port ,that tiny passage may be plugged.
    I drilled through the brass plate as well.

Great.  The engine pulls very strong but does not have nice snappy response.  My wife loves the bike but complains about slow response.  I think increasing the bleed hole a very small amount is the key.

My SRX600 secondary CV carb has the slide bleed hole increased along with a new spring and response is instant -- Way better than it was stock.  Compared to stock XL600 stock SRX600 was a joke.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/13/19 at 15:22:11

I have been running a drilled slide for a little over a year.  My seat-o-da-pants impression has been positive.  However, on my last Dyno run, I could see a momentary lean condition every time the throttle was cracked.  Doesn’t seem to be a problem.  You can,t feel any hesitation and no tendency to detonate.  Just goes lean for a micro-second.  Other than that, the drilled slide seems to work good.  You can test it by simply removing one of the two screws that secure the plate over the jet needle.

See my old post from 4/15/18 on page 27 of rubberside down.  The title of the post is “stock carb slide mod”.  It gives all the specifics on drilling etc.

BTW, I attribute the momentary lean condition to lack of accelerator pump.  The fuel is much heavier than air so when the slide moves quicker the air flows almost instantly while the fuel takes a micro-second to catch up.

Regarding the TEV, I also did a post with a mod to the TEV that also seems to work pretty good.  It’s non-invasive and easily reversed if you don’t like the results.  It is titled “transient enrichment valve (TEV), was posted 4/17/18, and is also on page 27.

If you try these mods, please post your results.

Hope this helps, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/13/19 at 15:50:53

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/13/19 at 15:22:11:
I have been running a drilled slide for a little over a year.  My seat-o-da-pants impression has been positive.  However, on my last Dyno run, I could see a momentary lean condition every time the throttle was cracked.  Doesn’t seem to be a problem.  You can,t feel any hesitation and no tendency to detonate.  Just goes lean for a micro-second.  Other than that, the drilled slide seems to work good.  You can test it by simply removing one of the two screws that secure the plate over the jet needle.

See my old post from 4/15/18 on page 27 of rubberside down.  The title of the post is “stock carb slide mod”.  It gives all the specifics on drilling etc.

BTW, I attribute the momentary lean condition to lack of accelerator pump.  The fuel is much heavier than air so when the slide moves quicker the air flows almost instantly while the fuel takes a micro-second to catch up.

Regarding the TEV, I also did a post with a mod to the TEV that also seems to work pretty good.  It’s non-invasive and easily reversed if you don’t like the results.  It is titled “transient enrichment valve (TEV), was posted 4/17/18, and is also on page 27.

If you try these mods, please post your results.

Hope this helps, Mike

Thank you so much for all the good information Mike.  I will look into it early tomorrow morning.  Agreed on momentary lean condition.  Dial-A-Jet can help with such conditions and I have a link to a dyno test that shows the same somewhere...  Here it is:  http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index.php?topic=25860.0

I have a Dial-A-Jet in stock so I think I may give it a try with a smaller main at some point if time permits...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/14/19 at 03:53:24

Drilling he slide holes a bit larger can help with throttle response for sure.  That was one of the mod’s I did years ago before switching to other carbs.  I liked the slight effect it gave.  You do need to be very careful drilling, tiny degrees at a time when drilling.  I started with the instructions from a kit for my Sporty, specific drill sizes were suggested and I used those numbers and it worked.  I drilled both holes.  In retrospect I wish I had done one at a time to gauge the difference.
It was a useful mid.

What were the sizes you guys drilled to ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/14/19 at 06:02:26

I don't know how many of us are old enough to have ridden a 4 stroke motorcycle before the CV carb was common.....and can remember the "cough" that occurred when you opened the cable operated slide too quickly.  If you were at low rpm and cracked the throttle open, the vacuum in the carb throat would instantly drop and no fuel would be picked up from the float bowl....so the engine would gasp and stop running until you closed the throttle and allowed the vacuum to return.  On these motorcycles it was necessary to roll the throttle on at a speed that the engine could handle - rather than open it instantly.

The CV carb was developed to prevent this situation - the hand throttle operates the butterfly - and the slide responds in to the engine vacuum and rises as the vacuum increases.  If you crack the throttle open too quickly - the slide will not rise until the engine vacuum is building and this helps to provide smooth engine operation.  (On British cars the slide has an oil filled piston in the center of the slide to keep the slide from moving too quickly or bouncing around - American cars instead developed the accelerator pump to shoot fuel into the intake and compensate for the lean condition that exists when you crack the throttle open).

When you increase the size of the holes in the vacuum slide to allow more air to flow - it allows the slide to move up/down faster.  If you go too far - you will allow the slide to raise too quickly and could get into a situation where the mixture goes too lean and the engine accelerates poorly - or the slide begins to bounce up/down in response to the pulses of the intake vacuum (put a vacuum gauge on the intake and watch the needle bounce up and down to prove the intake vacuum is not steady).  The stock vacuum operated petcock has a small orifice to dampen the vacuum pulses to keep the diaphragm from moving around).

So....I am posting this just to caution you to go slowly and not go too big on the holes.  Raising the slide too quickly could cause you to have inconsistent fuel/air mixtures - and could result in the slide moving around a lot during steady cruising (vacuum pulses could cause the vacuum on top of the slide to change too quickly).

Maybe you should start by enlarging the 2 existing holes a small amount, then drilling a 3rd hole if you want to go farther - you could epoxy the 3rd hole closed if you end up going too far.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/14/19 at 07:10:55

100% agree on go slow and 100% familiar with fast-opening carbs.  Back in the 80s we did a lot of carbs for autos and boats at the speed shop.

I have been on top of many slider carb bikes that took lots of throttle without issue.  problems come into play when carbs get too big and/or cams get too long.  Engines like stock LS650 have very good VE and high signal down low.

My Honda CRF230F will take WOT in third gear at very slow engine speeds because the carb is properly sized and properly jetted.

My brother's 100-inch HD with Wood CV carb responds instantly -- It's so good he refuses to waste time and money on a Mikuni slider.

I just want the slide to open a little bit faster -- Not looking for all-out drag race performance.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 05/14/19 at 07:41:36

This is a great thread with lots of great information.  Personally, I just slap the clutch lever and get all of the throttle response I need.  Wink  

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/14/19 at 07:48:00

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/14/19 at 09:04:26

I suggest you test it first by removing a screw.  It will allow you to determine if you like the results before you remove any material from the slide.  If you aren’t happy with the performance you can simply reinstall the screw.  No harm no foul.

I will be so bold to suggest that you could leave one screw out permanently.  The remaining screw and plate are captivated within the slide.  In the event the screw comes loose, nothin is goin through the engine.  It will simply shut you down.  Not a pleasant experience but I think it’s highly unlikely.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 21:59:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Faster Opening for Stock Carb (Drilled Slide?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.