Send Topic Print
Carb cleaning? (Read 49 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb cleaning?
04/29/19 at 06:39:22

Am I the only person in the world (it seems) that has no issues leaving fuel in my equipment over the winter????  

I run the carb out of fuel on my motorcycle but I don't even do that much with my 12.5 hp walk behind mower.  It took 2 pulls to start it when it normally only takes one and it's a 25-year-old Kawasaki FB460V.  Never drained or cleaned the carb, ever!  Maybe 2 spark plugs in its lifetime.

Never had issues with my motocross bikes either.  I mean how long do you guys park these things??  My stuff sits for 3-4 months every year without issue.  I never use stabilizer or anything.  What gives?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Carb cleaning?
Reply #1 - 04/29/19 at 07:59:33

I don't have issues either which I contribute to using only non-ethanol fuel in everything but cars and trucks. I pulled out the tiller last week that was sitting since last spring and it started first pull with last year's fuel. Same with the wood chipper, pole saws, chainsaws...

I also take care of things at the first sign of a problem before letting crap gunk up in the carb, etc. so that helps. Preventative maintenance.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/02/19 at 03:28:44

I think that the type of fuel sold in your area, along with the method of storage makes some difference.

Until recently our area of the country had "reformulated" fuel.....they did something with the fuel to make it burn cleaner - and I just don't think the shelf life is very good for this fuel.  Here is a list of the areas that sell this fuel, and until last summer Campbell, Kenton and Boone County in KY were "Opt -In" states and volunteered to be included in an effort to get more Federal money for road projects
https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline

I also believe that if your equipment is stored where the temperature and humidity swings are kept at a minimum.  If you store your equipment in an insulated garage the fuel will keep longer than it will if you store it in a carport where temps and humidity have huge fluctuations.

It also can make a difference what kind of fuel you buy  - economy convenient store fuels have far less additives than the top tier fuels that you buy at Shell/Sunoco/BP/etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/02/19 at 05:55:07

Everything is garaged, unheated, and I buy the cheapest gas I can get from Speedway (mower) or Costco (the bike).  Pump premium when I raced moto.   We get plenty of temperature swings, rain and humidity, even in the middle of winter, unfortunately.

I can see where outdoor storage might be a bigger issue.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/02/19 at 07:11:12

I live southern Virginia.
Everything I own gives me grief with ethanol fuel.
Even my diesels act up with any bio in them, (it degrades the rubber fuel lines and plugs filters).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 02:25:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb cleaning?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.